News Caribbean Beach Expansion

Kamikaze

I think the inference has been that the new DC tower will be seperate (similar to how BLT is separate from Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Villas are separate from the AKL - have their own check in, own pool, own restaurant, etc...

I don't think it will be completely separate. Why would they be doing this to OPR/Centretown now if they are going to have restaurants, etc in the new tower? Would have made much more sense to get that open first so both sections could use those facilities instead of a tent and food trucks.

Brian Swan

Wonder where all of the decorations are going. Is there some place where this stuff will go up for sale. There used to be a guy who sold this stuff, but I think he is out of business.
Probably to a warehouse for possible repurposing after the construction is complete.

Brian Swan

I've not seen any art work yet, but I am envisioning a "tower" akin to "towers" at resorts such as Atlantis. Probably not as large, but in the same pseudo-Spanish/Caribbean style. Does that "match" the current "beach house" look of the CBR? No. But it would still qualify as "Caribbean". I'm thinking that it will follow the model of many recently built urban "malls"; the ground floor will house various restaurants and shops, and the upper floors will be "residential".

Kamikaze

I've not seen any art work yet, but I am envisioning a "tower" akin to "towers" at resorts such as Atlantis. Probably not as large, but in the same pseudo-Spanish/Caribbean style. Does that "match" the current "beach house" look of the CBR? No. But it would still qualify as "Caribbean". I'm thinking that it will follow the model of many recently built urban "malls"; the ground floor will house various restaurants and shops, and the upper floors will be "residential".

Martin said its more 'New Orleans' than what is in CBR currently. I don't think he said how tall it is. I would say minimum has to be 6 stories.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are we sure about that? We don't know the number of rooms or floors the tower will have.

I believe the tower will be a separate entity from the resort. It will be DVC and the resort will still be hotel. The DVC tower is to get a related but separate them from CBR. So, technically the CBR will have less rooms.

Kamikaze

I believe the tower will be a separate entity from the resort. It will be DVC and the resort will still be hotel. The DVC tower is to get a related but separate them from CBR. So, technically the CBR will have less rooms.

Yes, since its DVC the rooms are counted separately and the regular room count will go down (unless CRO buys a big block of the rooms). But in reality on that piece of property we don't know what the total room count will be compared to before.

RSoxNo1

Disney breaks down the Wilderness Lodge into Copper Creek Villas, Boulder Ridge Villas and the rest of the resort. It's arguing semantics, but it's basically "Villas at...(insert resort name here)" It's a section of the resort.

Kamikaze

Disney breaks down the Wilderness Lodge into Copper Creek Villas, Boulder Ridge Villas and the rest of the resort. It's arguing semantics, but it's basically "Villas at...(insert resort name here)" It's a section of the resort.

Right, but the DVC rooms are from a different 'pool' than the regular hotel rooms. Unless CRO buys the DVC room.

bhg469

so are they going to redo the pool area?

to be honest, i stayed here once and it was not my favorite. but it wasn't all the resort's fault. but a huge complaint for me was their hot tub was the size of a dixie cup. seriously, it holds 3 people. when i was there, i had the misfortune of being there for dance week or whatever. so the dixie cup was over brimmed with 13 yo girls. would have been heaven 30+ years ago but now i'm just looking for a quiet soak after a long day. the atmosphere and theming were great. love the caribbean feel. that was good. but they need to expand the pool area for a resort that big and if they are making it even bigger then they definitely need better pool accommodations. also shutters needs to be shuttered.
Your avatar has the best pools of the moderates. I was at Caribbean beach during a very dead period and found it still to be barely better than a value. Coronado had way better pools and nicer accommodations as well as food.

Biff215

The tower(s) will be its own resort with its own amenities.
Agreed. No way DVC wants this marketed as a moderate resort. That would meaning dropping the price per point as well as the overall points chart. It uses existing infrastructure though which saves money, and the "improvements" to the existing resort help out both sides. It seems to be how DVC gets their space these days.

mark marsh

I don't know why the Caribbean Resort get a bad rap from some. We stayed there on our last trip and loved it. We were in Trinidad North and it was only a short walk to Port Royale/Centertown. The atmosphere was great and the grounds were very well kept. Shutters may not be the best restaurant ( no we didn't eat there) but the food court was great! Whatever you needed it was there for you. Burgers,pizza, fish,apples, beer, apple juice, it's all there. When we were at EPCOT we ate at the Coral Reef Restaurant. For a table service meal it left a lot to be desired....a small piece of salmon with about 8 green beans and a cup of mashed potatoes. At the food court at the Caribbean I ordered the salmon with sides of rice and mashed potatoes. There was twice the amount of food for a counter service meal than I received for a table service. Also the Calypso gift shop seemed to have whatever we needed....corn starch,newspapers, advil, plush toys, and a Donald Duck watch that we were not able to find in any other shop. Overall we loved the resort and were looking forward to returning to it this year but with all the construction going on we are going to Port Orleans French Quarter again. Hopefully with all the construction they won't ruin the wonderful atmosphere there in the quest for the almighty dollar.

TiggerDad

I don't think it will be completely separate. Why would they be doing this to OPR/Centretown now if they are going to have restaurants, etc in the new tower? Would have made much more sense to get that open first so both sections could use those facilities instead of a tent and food trucks.
I think they are moving the checkin function and other support activity from Custom House to OPR area so they can tear down Custom House as part of the tower work. That needs to be up and running at OPR first so that work has to go first.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Holy cow, I've seen more attractive military field kitchens than this abomination.

Pixie dusters cover your sensitive ears

Come stay at Disney, pay full price eat in a outdoor tent, yeah that sounds attractive.

Jeez, heck join the National Guard and get paid for the same level of experience, and you'll be serving your fellow citizens at the same time!

Considering this will be in place for several YEARS it's yet another example of Disney's current attitude 'Tourists will take whatever we give em and LIKE IT, stupid rubes.'

A real hotelier would have erected a steel building and at least made an effort to create a pleasant dining experience.

Bocabear

Holy cow, I've seen more attractive military field kitchens than this abomination.

Come stay at Disney, pay full price eat in a outdoor tent, yeah that sounds attractive.

Jeez, heck join the National Guard and get paid for the same level of experience, and you'll be serving your fellow citizens at the same time!

Considering this will be in place for several YEARS it's yet another example of Disney's current attitude 'Tourists will take whatever we give em and LIKE IT, stupid rubes.'

A real hotelier would have erected a steel building and at least made an effort to create a pleasant dining experience.
But why bother when you have people that will go at great lengths to defend and excuse your lack of hospitality and crappy temporary options while still charging full rates...they get to do their construction expansion without losing revenue because the Sheeple will accept it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

But why bother when you have people that will go at great lengths to defend and excuse your lack of hospitality and crappy temporary options while still charging full rates...they get to do their construction expansion without losing revenue because the Sheeple will accept it.

Where are these pixie dusters saying how much fun it is to eat from a van?

Is the fact you didn't quote someone saying that possibly because this a straw man argument?

You know what's worse than an actual pixie duster? People who reflexively argue with them when they don't exist.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Sadly you are correct, one minute the dusters defend stuff like this because the savings will be used in the parks ... then Disney is 'too big to fail'

I think there are gonna be a bunch of PO'ed vacationers who expected Port Royale to be there. Only to find the army tent as their dining option and being charged full boat for the pleasure of staying in a construction zone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Weird that I have seen not one person defend any of this. Where have you seen anyone defending this?

raymusiccity

I think the inference has been that the new DC tower will be seperate (similar to how BLT is separate from Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Villas are separate from the AKL - have their own check in, own pool, own restaurant, etc...

Sort of. Not all DVC additions have their own restaurants. BLT is strictly dependant on what's available next door at the Contemporary. BLT didn't even have their own check-in desk when they first opened. It wasn't until the complaints rolled in, that it was reluctantly shoehorned into what was a modest lobby area.

Kamikaze

Sadly you are correct, one minute the dusters defend stuff like this because the savings will be used in the parks ... then Disney is 'too big to fail'

I think there are gonna be a bunch of PO'ed vacationers who expected Port Royale to be there. Only to find the army tent as their dining option and being charged full boat for the pleasure of staying in a construction zone.

They are giving a $75 gift card per night. Hardly 'full boat'. The rest of your argument is valid, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom