Car Rental From Sanford to WDW

I am still toying between a towncar (what we have done in the past) or a rental. The towncar is the least stressful and a little cheaper…not much it seems but does not allow us much freedom if we want to hop between resorts to eat or venture outside WDW. On the other hand we may not have time to venture out and there is always is uber or a taxi but that’s even a pain to a degree. I guess my biggest fear with the rental is returning it to the airport in time for our 8am flight from Sanford. BTW, we have not been to Sanford in 10 years…how busy it nowadays? I also worry, what if the rental breaks down on the way to back the airport etc. So with all that in mind I have a few specific question for those who have rented from Sanford and went to WDW:

1. Are all rental cars right in the airport and convenient?

2. How long does it add to the time to get out of there and on your way?

3. How is the ride from Sanford to WDW?

4. Any recommendations on who to use…been letting Expedia find me the best deals…can they be trusted?

5. My flight is 8am. Technically I should be there at 6am. Is Sanford that busy that I need to be there that early? If so, what time must I leave WDW to be there at 6am and still have time to drop off the rental?

6. Are there lines for dropping the car off…or picking it up for that matter?

7. What if the car breaks down at any point?

8. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is about an hour drive from Sanford to Epcot, and a pretty easy one.

The car rental is right outside the terminal, a minute or so walk. I haven't personally used it, so can't speak for wait times.

The airport itself is not very busy, due to the very small amount of flights. I'm sure there are peaks where it is busier, but typically it is very quick to pass through.

I would go with a 4am depart from WDW to be at an 8am flight including car drop off. You will likely be early, but better that way than late.

You can purchase road side assistance with a rental.

Upvote 0

SAV

I always prefer to have a rental car so I have freedom to do what I want, when I want. If it isn't much difference in cost, then go with the Rental.

I have only flown in and out of MCO, so I can't help you with any of those questions.

Upvote 0

andrelaplume

Original Poster
4 a.m.? I was thinking of leaving at 5 a.m.
you say the airport is not busy so I'm going to assume there won't be a long line... were you suggesting leaving at 4 in case the car breaks down. As far as roadside assistance I am not responsible for fixing the car correct? I'm not sure what I would need that for. m
My concern is if the car breaks down does the rental car company immediately send somebody out to get you where you're going. I'll assume the rental car company takes no responsibility for missed flights....

Anyone one with Sanford experiences....

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

Have you experienced a lot of sudden break downs in rental cars? The major brands tend to maintain their cars well and remove them from service once they hit a few tens of thousands of miles.

There is currently major construction on I-4 between Walt Disney World and Sanford during off hours that at times can cause delays. This can be avoided by taking FL-417, a toll road.

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

rental cars should be ok maintained. They usually hold you responsible for any kind of tire, windshield, and any kind of scratch/dents that may occur. Just something else to think about. All rental car companies have different policies. If a breakdown does happen, I would assume you won't have immdediate help. Same as any other road side assistance.

I have only dealt with one rental car company in Las Vegas. I was not a fan of the experience at all. They did sort of have me a car, but they said I had to take a van (I reserved an economy car) and pay more because my flight was delayed 2 hours and they cancelled my reservation (and I called and called the LV rental office before the flight, they never answered). I was not a happy camper.

Anyways...that was just my one experience.

Upvote 0

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Regarding thrify car rental at SFB...it says in airport / in terminal. Does any one know if this means both the pick up desk AND car is in the airport? I want to make sure I need take a bus or something to get to my actual rental car...thanks

Upvote 0

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up...sounds like heading to airport at 5am or earlier could be off hours!
AND...
I saw some other posts that seem to indicate you may not have to wait online at SFB thrifty, or have a special expedited line (kind of a fastpass I guess!) if you are a thrifty blue chip member. Its free...I'll sign up...but would this apply to reservations made thru Expedia?

Upvote 0

andrelaplume

Original Poster
AND...
I saw some other posts that seem to indicate you may not have to wait online at SFB thrifty, or have a special expedited line (kind of a fastpass I guess!) if you are a thrifty blue chip member. Its free...I'll sign up...but would this apply to reservations made thru Expedia?

FOR THOSE INTERESTED:
Well I am back. My rental experience, unless something odd shows up on my charge was painless. Recall, I booked thru Expedia and opted the $10 day CDW. Recall too the I joined the Thrifty Blue Chip program and upon doing so my rental was rebooked away from Expdia but thru Thrifty at the same rental rate but with the CDW removed and then available thru Thrifty for $28 a day. And finaly,l recall I cancelled that reservation and rebooked thru Expedia, same rate but again with the $10 day CDW. Wheewwww...So what happened?

I left my plane at SFB and went over to the rental area after retrieving my baggage..its a bit of a walk. To my surprise only one lady was ahead of me. I presented myself waiting to be hounded and harassed and.....nothing, The guy mentioned my Blue Chip membership, said my Corolla was unavailable and gave e a Jetta...and I left...that was it. I hightailed it out of there after checking the receipt to be sure I was getting the rate I booked.

It was only late that I realized I had NOT been charged the $10 a day CDW insurance...nor had I been asked to purchase any. At that point I figured to heck with it, I had insurance already, I'd just skip the the CDW and save $80.

I used cash for tolls...was not even offered transponder etc.

I filled the tank and was not asked for a receipt upon return.

The car was a bit dinged and scratched...on the way out the gate it was all notated before I left.

Quick and painless. I can't help but wonder if the Blue CHiP thing somehow caused paperwork to be pre-processed and eliminated all the extra insurance mumbo jumbo.

Anyway, that's how it went!

On another note I found the drive from SFB to my Disney Resort confusing as heck. I understand I was to take 417 all the way but both my gps and phone had me going other way including I4. I wish I had a printed map--trying to argue with tech is useless!!!! For those who don't know what a printed map is...google it! I got there but contrary to what has been said the signage is confusing. Further on the way back to the airport I could not even figure how to get on 417...luckily the gps/phone all worked out.

Upvote 0
My wife and I fly Allegiant into Sfb when we go to Disney. We always rent a car.
So far it has been painless, we rent from Alamo. Travel time between Sfb and Disney is 50 min. Car return after filling the tank is very quick.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom