Captain America 2 The Winter Soldier

RubyLee

Me, I'm getting a kick out of the fact that Captain America's getting beat in its second week by...animation.

Watch and learn, Iger!
Did Rio beat Captain America??? Wasn't a huge fan of the first one-my cousins had to beg me to take them. Still prefer Disney animation!

NMBC1993

Me, I'm getting a kick out of the fact that Captain America's getting beat in its second week by...animation.

Watch and learn, Iger!

Well don't forget that there really hasn't been a family film out in a while, there seems to be several times throughout the year where a family film will dominate the box office, especially when there's no competition in that market. Also, Rio was very popular when it came out in 2011, I'd be curious to see what next week's numbers are as the film is not getting good word of mouth which will cause their income to hurt.

Edit: Just pulled up Box Office Mojo and according to their estimates, Captain America did beat out Rio 2 by a small demographic.

Captain America - $41,398,000
Rio 2- $39,000,000

Magenta Panther

Well don't forget that there really hasn't been a family film out in a while, there seems to be several times throughout the year where a family film will dominate the box office, especially when there's no competition in that market. Also, Rio was very popular when it came out in 2011, I'd be curious to see what next week's numbers are as the film is not getting good word of mouth which will cause their income to hurt.

Edit: Just pulled up Box Office Mojo and according to their estimates, Captain America did beat out Rio 2 by a small demographic.

Rio 2- $39,000,000

Yup, the Saturday projections were a bit off. My bad. :p

RubyLee

Rio 2- $39,000,000
The Captain barely topped it! :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saw it Friday night... my take on it.

• First, I was surprised at the level of gun violence in the film. Yes it's PG-13, but the film came off as much more violent then the 'fantasy violence' I've been accustomed too in the previous Marvel films. I was a tad uncomfortable with it for my 11yr old with me. Anyone who comments 'why isn't Marvel helping with the young boy crowd?' - just look at this film.. not boy material.
  • I hate the direction during fight sequences when they twist and flip the camera so much... I dub it 'chaos cam'. I presume it helps mask some of the special effects, but it just makes everything harder to see/process IMO. This was particularly noticeable in the 1-on-1 fight sequences (especially on the boat)
  • The 3-D was well done and really adds nice icing to the cake IMO
  • The DC setting was cool because I'm a local - I admit I didn't know much of the setting prior but it was well done :)
  • The car chase sequence was pretty awesome (except the periods where it looked like it was in fast forward)
  • NEED MORE camera shots of Scarlet J in her BW outfit... nuff said
  • Special effects were just crazy and good. Look at the credits.. it seemed like there were 20 VFX companies on the project :)
  • I thought they did a good job of explaining the plot to the non-comic fans
  • I generally like the plot and story.. it kept me interested
  • The film is written too much (IMO) as a chapter in a serial vs a slice in time.

Overall I thought it was a good film... but not the best Marvel film yet. Why? It's a mainstream superhero film... and I don't feel like it had those 'hero moments' that resonate. It felt more like the GI Joe films than the formula the Iron Man and Avengers films had used.

The climatic sequence in the Avengers when all the characters are there on the NYC street... the music... you get this incredible 'hero shot' of them right before you jump into the 'impossible battle'. That had power. It struck a chord.. the visuals, the characters, the music, the plot all culminated into this power moment. That part of the Avengers theme still clicks in my mind.. the theme alone is not super, but in that combination it all just gelled. I walked out of the Avengers thinking 'wow - they just reinvented the superhero film. Iron Man had been building.. and Avengers polished it and supercharged it at the same time.

I didn't get that with Captain America... I can't capture any of the music in my mind at all right now. I have no 'hero moment' in my mind where it all just came together.

So good flick.. a tad too violent for the ideal demographic.. amazing visuals.. but lacks the memorable hero moments.

The Thor films were more fun to watch with my daughter.. and the Avengers film still does the total package better IMO. For entertainment for my family, I put it below the Iron Man and Avengers films.

AllyInWonderland

I saw the movie last week and I LOVED it! I want to see it again!

And I may or may not have been attracted to Bucky the whole time.
image.jpg

AllyInWonderland

Just got off the Disney Dream during the midnight release of Winter Soldier and I have to say this is the best Marvel film to date. I loved everything about it. It is definitely the darkest of all the Marvel films and blends in events that can be compared to our world today. Also, move over Loki it's time for the Winter Soldier to rise, he is a major threat throughout the entire film and at times a real bada**. If your a fan of The Avengers you'll be disappointed in the lack of one liners, there are some but most of the film is presented in a serious tone and they knew exactly when to pull back.
MY LOKI WILL NEVER MOVE OVER!!!!!!!! :mad:
image.jpg

:angelic:

champdisney

I personally preffered the first Captain America over the Winter Solider. The first one had that fantasy violence similar to Indiana Jones and even had that Indy feel and vibe to it. The Winter Solider doesn't follow in that formula but still provided a solid sequel. The non stop action was awesome and haven't seen it since the Avengers. It was fun, but I'm hoping Guardians of the Galaxy tops it in August.

NMBC1993

Saw it Friday night... my take on it.

• First, I was surprised at the level of gun violence in the film. Yes it's PG-13, but the film came off as much more violent then the 'fantasy violence' I've been accustomed too in the previous Marvel films. I was a tad uncomfortable with it for my 11yr old with me. Anyone who comments 'why isn't Marvel helping with the young boy crowd?' - just look at this film.. not boy material.
  • I hate the direction during fight sequences when they twist and flip the camera so much... I dub it 'chaos cam'. I presume it helps mask some of the special effects, but it just makes everything harder to see/process IMO. This was particularly noticeable in the 1-on-1 fight sequences (especially on the boat)
  • The 3-D was well done and really adds nice icing to the cake IMO
  • The DC setting was cool because I'm a local - I admit I didn't know much of the setting prior but it was well done :)
  • The car chase sequence was pretty awesome (except the periods where it looked like it was in fast forward)
  • NEED MORE camera shots of Scarlet J in her BW outfit... nuff said
  • Special effects were just crazy and good. Look at the credits.. it seemed like there were 20 VFX companies on the project :)
  • I thought they did a good job of explaining the plot to the non-comic fans
  • I generally like the plot and story.. it kept me interested
  • The film is written too much (IMO) as a chapter in a serial vs a slice in time.

Overall I thought it was a good film... but not the best Marvel film yet. Why? It's a mainstream superhero film... and I don't feel like it had those 'hero moments' that resonate. It felt more like the GI Joe films than the formula the Iron Man and Avengers films had used.

The climatic sequence in the Avengers when all the characters are there on the NYC street... the music... you get this incredible 'hero shot' of them right before you jump into the 'impossible battle'. That had power. It struck a chord.. the visuals, the characters, the music, the plot all culminated into this power moment. That part of the Avengers theme still clicks in my mind.. the theme alone is not super, but in that combination it all just gelled. I walked out of the Avengers thinking 'wow - they just reinvented the superhero film. Iron Man had been building.. and Avengers polished it and supercharged it at the same time.

I didn't get that with Captain America... I can't capture any of the music in my mind at all right now. I have no 'hero moment' in my mind where it all just came together.

So good flick.. a tad too violent for the ideal demographic.. amazing visuals.. but lacks the memorable hero moments.

The Thor films were more fun to watch with my daughter.. and the Avengers film still does the total package better IMO. For entertainment for my family, I put it below the Iron Man and Avengers films.

While I can appreciate your opinion I have to say that is exactly why I LOVED Winter Soldier. I consider myself one of the few that walked out of Avengers thinking it was just an OK film, I was never wowed by it. One of the reasons for that was because I felt I was watching a 3 hour episode of Will and Grace with superheroes. Instead of showing your favorite heroes struggling to form a team, they just threw them all in a plane, they bantered a bunch, and blew up stuff. Meanwhile at the same time we're not getting any back story on the Chitauri side characters and several plot holes go unnoticed (Enemies dying Phantom Menace style, Hulk controlling his rage, etc.). It felt like Joss Weiden was trying to write every character like RDJ with one-liners and snappy dialog, which in my opinion takes away from the depth of the film if you know your heroes are going to make it out alive because they're on the posters (I had the same problem with Thor 2, even with the "ultimate power" the villain still lost so easily). Winter Soldier took so many turns I almost felt they were going to kill off the whole cast, there was suspense and a reason to cheer Capt and the gang on.

Also, you mention that this film doesn't play to the demographic which is young boys. Why does it have to do that? Why should it have to appeal to everyone? If you go back and read some Marvel comics you'll find that they weren't all "ponies and rainbows". For example Hank Pym the main character in the upcoming film Ant-Man, repeatedly abused his wife in many issues of the comic. While I was never looking for something that dark in a Marvel film, I wanted more than just CG explosions and one-liners and to me this filmed delivered. On top of all this, I can respect a film that takes real world scenarios and place them in a film based around a comic book property. According to the directors the idea for this film came from the Obama NSA ordeal that happened recently, which I find interesting that they are trying to suggest to the audience that our own world may suffer the same fate.

Finally, you mentioned the film felt too much like a chapter in a series, I felt this film was the first NOT to do that. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 both felt like "Hey, here's your heroes again" while not adding anything to contribute towards Phase 2. Winter Soldier felt to me, like the centerpiece of Phase 2 as it involved several characters doing more than just making a cameo and going off screen again. It even brought in bits from the Agents of Shield T.V. show, tying the whole universe together and gave me a reason to give the show another try.

I'm sorry to seem negative towards your post but as someone who has been begging for a more meaningful Marvel film, something that wasn't just popcorn entertainment, I finally got what I wanted. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is nice to see Marvel not playing it "safe" for once and I hope we continue to see this trend in the future.

Hobnail Boot

The directors said they were going for more of a 70's spy thriller feel than a super hero feel and I think they succeeded. The only superhero-y thing to me was the 3 helicarriers and Falcon. As a comic reader, I loved it because it felt like a Captain America comic (however I haven't purchased a Cap comic in a few years, but I do read him in Uncanny Avengers). When Cap boards the ship in the beginning and is throwing that shield around, I thought THIS is Captain America. He's a guy who can (and has) gone hand-to-hand with Batman and this film finally showed off his fighting skills. I hope Whedon continues this trend in Avengers:AoU and doesn't make Cap look stiff and punchy like he was in Avengers.

Hobnail Boot

For example Hank Pym the main character in the upcoming film Ant-Man, repeatedly abused his wife in many issues of the comic.
Not to be "that guy," but just wanted to point out that Scott Lang is going to be the main character in Ant-Man. Hank's going to be a support role. Stupid decision imo, but I'll still see it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also, you mention that this film doesn't play to the demographic which is young boys. Why does it have to do that? Why should it have to appeal to everyone?

The comment was to a notion mentioned in another thread where they say "Disney is not winning boys" with the Marvel acquisition.. which was part of the reason of the acquisition. I point to this film as an example of why Marvel isn't shifting that paradigm.. the product they are producing is too old in some ways to hit that.

My 11yr old is soaking up the Marvel films... I've done my fatherly duties and introduced her to Indiana Jones, Star Wars, BTTF, Goonies, etc. This is the first film I cringed a bit taking her to.

If you go back and read some Marvel comics you'll find that they weren't all "ponies and rainbows"

Of course not - and that grit is very much what made the comics what they are and let them carry on for so long. But look at how they handled Tony Stark. I think they kept some of those character issues without making it true grit.

On top of all this, I can respect a film that takes real world scenarios and place them in a film based around a comic book property. According to the directors the idea for this film came from the Obama NSA ordeal that happened recently, which I find interesting that they are trying to suggest to the audience that our own world may suffer the same fate.

No, the Snowden element happened during their production

Did you know the themes of the movie (how much power and access the government should have) would be so timely when it was released?

Anthony: The Edward Snowden thing did happen while we were shooting, but that was sort of the tip of the iceberg. All the stuff was in the ether before that
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-redford-and-the-movies-very-timely-politics

Finally, you mentioned the film felt too much like a chapter in a series, I felt this film was the first NOT to do that. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 both felt like "Hey, here's your heroes again" while not adding anything to contribute towards Phase 2. Winter Soldier felt to me, like the centerpiece of Phase 2 as it involved several characters doing more than just making a cameo and going off screen again. It even brought in bits from the Agents of Shield T.V. show, tying the whole universe together and gave me a reason to give the show another try.

For a feature film.. unless it is setup and sold as an installment from the start (like Hobbit) - I want more closure in the film itself.

We just watched Iron Man last night since my girl had not seen IM 1 and 2 yet.. and it reenforced my feelings. IM 1 did a good job of the ending establishing a leap point, but pretty much wrapped up all it's own ends. Winter Solider felt like 'to be continued...' - and trust me, when I first saw Empire Strikes back as a kid.. that ending ed me off too!

After watching IM last night again.. still feels like a much better movie. Even tho I've seen it several times.. even the ending where he shifts and says "I am Iron Man" - it has more punch than all of Winter Solider IMO. Even tho IM used contemporary music alot.. still felt more emotion punching than the WS soundtrack too.

Iron Man's ending was like the end of The Matrix... it leaves you with 'Oh @#$% - hes gonna whoop some tail now' and leads into a pumping energy song. That's how you setup people to be walking out of the theater upbeat.

SAV

Went to see this last night with my 9yo son. I thought the movie was awesome, very intense to say the least. That early scene with Fury in his vehicle caught me by surprise and set the tone for the whole thing for me.

I also was a bit uncomfortable with the amount of actual gun violence shown based on what was shown in the previous films(Yes, I know the rating). I just didn't see this in the previous films.

Love the tie in to Agents of Shield as well.

Mr Toad

Since Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver) has screen time in X-Men Days of Future Past, I wonder how this play out in Age of Ultron. Will his name have to be changed? Also can't mention the fact that he is a mutant or that his father is Magneto. I can't wait to see how this is handled.

Hobnail Boot

Since Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver) has screen time in X-Men Days of Future Past, I wonder how this play out in Age of Ultron. Will his name have to be changed? Also can't mention the fact that he is a mutant or that his father is Magneto. I can't wait to see how this is handled.
The only thing that Marvel Studios has to change about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is their parentage and the fact they are mutants. They've already taken care of the latter with the mid-credits scene in TWS, and I just assume they won't mention mommy and daddy at all.

Mr Toad

The only thing that Marvel Studios has to change about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is their parentage and the fact they are mutants. They've already taken care of the latter with the mid-credits scene in TWS, and I just assume they won't mention mommy and daddy at all.
The implication from the mid credit scene implies (to me anyway) that they are twins that were experimented onand they survived...at least that is what Von Strucker was talking about. But still can't wait to see how that storyline evolves! Make mine MARVEL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom