Cape May Cafe thoughts/reviews

becca_

Original Poster
I am thinking about doing one dinner buffet outside of a quick service meal plan when I go in January. I haven't ever been to Cape May Cafe so I was wondering if the dinner buffet is good quality for the price, or if there is another buffet style restaurant with better food for dinner that you would recommend. Thanks! :p

Bairstow

We ate there October before last and I wasn't that impressed. There's a decent amount of variety in the seafood offerings, but it's nowhere near the experience some of the massive Lobster buffets on I-drive offer, let alone some of the gigantic Calabash Seafood buffet houses you'll find up and down the Eastern seaboard.

If you're even slightly adventurous, food-wise, I'd highly recommend Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge over Cape May. It's a decent primer on several different African cuisines and at this point it's hands-down our favorite restaurant on Property.
To be honest, if all Boma offered were their soups, I'd still pay their prices to eat there.

Jess G

We love it here and make a stop or 2 every trip. I would only go if all adults in the party do seafood otherwise its not worth the cost.

Spectro

Love it just for the crab legs. I found the desserts enjoyable too. Not a huge selection but it's not really crowded or noisy. We have booked again for next trip and the relaxed atmosphere of beach club is lovely. I also always book Boma as they have the best food offerings of any onsite buffet. As our kids are grown up we stay away from character meals now.

s&k'smom

We traditionally do our last night dinner there and have never been disappointed. Being a New Englander can be snobby about seafood lol but my husband loves it. Absolutely fantastic. But I do agree with the above poster Boma is an exceptional meal. We visit there every visit as well.

Phonedave

I thought it was horrible. So much so that I ate there once and never went back, and that is something that I usually do not do. I try to give a place at least 2 if not 3 chances, but everything there was just so bad, I could not bring myself to give it an other chance.

I have my review of it somewhere on here, but in a nutshell the service was extremely poor, the buffet itself was a mess, the clams were loaded with sand, not the normal amount you find in clams, but lots of sand. The crab legs were OK, but nothing super. Peel and eat shrimp with the veins still in. Yeah, I can peel and devien shrimp, but really, when paying that much, I should not be working that much to eat my food. The desserts were clearly frozen and then thawed. Some had ice crystals still in them, and others were weeping all over the platters (and most were cloyingly sweet).The fish was overcooked (but then it is a buffet where it is sitting on a steam table) It really was not a good experience.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Although this isn't what you asked, Cape May Cafe for breakfast is second to none! Can't speak about dinner as I have never been there for that.

And in keeping with the spirit of answering questions that you didn't ask (lol), tread carefully with Boma. It's definitely decent, don't get me wrong. But at the end of the day it is buffet quality food, and nothing more. It's a very cool atmosphere and experience, but I guess I will never understand the folks who rave about the quality of the food.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Zipadeelady

My family has eaten there twice and love it. Me not so much (I went Via Napoli while they were at Cape May) but I don't like seafood. Both times they raved about it and came out stuffed. We don't live on the east coast so can't compare to "authentic" seafood but it's a must for my family when we go to Disney.

yedliW

I really enjoyed it, but if you don't LOVE seafood (specifically crab legs) it probably wouldn't be worth your time/$$. Sure.. they have other things.. (chicken, mac and cheese etc..) but I didn't think there was enough to justify the price if you aren't going to get a plate or 2 of crab legs.. anytime they have drawn butter in the type of dispenser that most places use for iced tea.. they mean business! :)

Courtney6682

I assume they make them so that if you have the one person in your party who hates all seafood, they have something to eat. They don't have to be great, but they should at least be semi-edible.

-dave

When we ate at CM in Feb, we overheard a woman shrieking at the buffet....''Don't they have anything other than seafood?''

JIMINYCR

We have dined at Cape May buffet multiple times and have had an enjoyable time every time. We add it onto our must do ADR list. The CM's are very attentive, clearing plates, refilling drinks and making sure you are happy. When DS was young and picky he even found enough there to get his fill of food. Weve found enough of a tasty variety of foods to please us. The dining area is bright, and even though there are many tables for seating, the noise level isn't overbearing.

We've been twice now and enjoyed it both times. We had an early reservation (5ish, I believe) on our last visit, and I think we actually enjoyed that a bit more. It was still quiet in the restaurant and the buffet wasn't swamped. As others mentioned, if you or someone in your party isn't a huge seafood fan, I'd probably skip it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom