Capacity Question

ChicagoHoosier

Original Poster
I am very excited to see all the additions coming to WDW!!

When Disney adds an attraction (Tron, MK Theater, Frozen), does Disney add to the park's overall capacity? Logic would dictate yes but I am curious if anyone has any insight into this.

Thanks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True. But as a counter point - subtraction of an attraction on previously used land will decrease capacity.
Correct.

As I understand it the park's capacity can actually vary from day to day based on CM staffing levels, which attractions, shops and restaurants, are open etc.

DisneyDodo

"Capacity" could potentially mean a few different things, but the most common definition in regards to theme parks is "the maximum number of people that can be on attractions at any one point." So, by that definition, adding a new attraction would increase park capacity by the number of people who can be on that attraction at once. A replacement would change capacity by the difference in capacity of the original and the new rides.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Correct.

As I understand it the park's capacity can actually vary from day to day based on CM staffing levels, which attractions, shops and restaurants, are open etc.

Correct. Here's a simple example to illustrate a complicated point. If a restaurant has 8 tables open on Tuesday and 5 tables open on Wednesday, the restaurant has more capacity vis a vis people sitting in the restaurant on the day that 8 tables are open if we assume that in the first case (Tuesday) each individual table averages more than 5/8 capacity (number of chairs for example) that the Wednesday tables average. I have written textbooks about the cases where 2 or more tables get pushed together.

Dapper Dan

Ride capacity is a calculation of the number of guests that can cycle through an attraction in an hour, so things like, how long the ride is, how many people can fit in a ride vehicle, how long it takes them to get on and off the ride, and how many vehicles operate at one time, are all factors.

Park capacity has even more variables because it not only factors in rice capacity, but also restaurant capacity, store capacity, and even the capacity of the park's walkways.

Generally, adding a new attraction where there wasn't one before adds to capacity because you have people on the ride and in line (and therefore not on paths, shopping, dining, or on other rides) that you didn't have before. A new ride using an existing system, like Frozen, wouldn't change the park's capacity because the ride capacity hasn't changed. A new ride with a new system could change the capacity for better or worse depending on the new ride system's capacity versus what it is replacing. Test Track and Mission: SPACE both lowered Epcot's capacity because World of Motion and Horizons were higher capacity rides.

Fastpasses also reduced the parks' capacity because now you have all those people not waiting in lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom