Can't find MDE on new tablet

walter1901

Original Poster
I just got a new tablet and I would like to download it from Google play and when I put it in the search bar, all that comes up are other Disney apps like Where's my mickey and where's my water and MDE does not show up. Does anybody know anything about this?

walter1901

Original Poster
I just got a new tablet and I would like to download it from Google play and when I put it in the search bar, all that comes up are other Disney apps like Where's my mickey and where's my water and MDE does not show up. Does anybody know anything about this?

NickC

Here's a direct link to the app on the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.disney.mdx.wdw.google

If you're singed into the same Google account on both your PC and tablet, you can install it from your PC via that link. Or if you click that link from your tablet, it should prompt you to open it with Google Play and you can install if from there.

There's also a very small chance your tablet is running a version of Android that's incompatible with the MDE app, but it would have be be a pretty ancient tablet running a version <2.3.

walter1901

Original Poster
Here's a direct link to the app on the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.disney.mdx.wdw.google

If you're singed into the same Google account on both your PC and tablet, you can install it from your PC via that link. Or if you click that link from your tablet, it should prompt you to open it with Google Play and you can install if from there.

There's also a very small chance your tablet is running a version of Android that's incompatible with the MDE app, but it would have be be a pretty ancient tablet running a version <2.3.

It said that is incompatible but it is a 4.1

donsullivan

Premium Member
That is the case it seems with most everything. I am debating on getting the samsung galaxy s4 can anyone view the app on there?

It does work on the Galaxy S4 although I've heard a lot of complaints about reliability and performance. I have it installed on an old HTC One X but it simply is not available for any Android tablet I've ever owned. Works brilliantly on my iPad Mini and iPhone though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Save yourself a lot of hassle, get an iPad. All developers write for the iPad so you know you will always be able to get an app that you need. Apple also provide updates for even their older products, giving you better compatibility. The rest of the tablet market is so fragmented it is very difficult to make apps compatible with them all. This tends to make many developers not bother.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney seems to love Apple products for some reason. I can get MDE on my phone but not my tablet.
All developers love Apple because when you write an app for iOS you know it will work on all Apple devices. Android does not have that luxury, far from it. There are thousands of variations on Android, and many Android devices are not supported with any updates once they are released.

NickC

This is less of a problem with Android fragmentation and more a problem with device resolution. The MDE app is compatible with all versions of Android above 2.3, which as of Dec. 2nd, 2013 makes up 98.4% of all devices with access to the play store. The problem is Disney's app developers aren't taking the time to ensure the app displays/formats properly across variations of resolutions on different Android tablets. So if your tablet is using a resolution that the developers have deemed 'non-standard', the app is seen as incompatible.

The resolution check is typically done by the Google Play store, so you'll still be able to install the app with a direct link to the .apk file. But before you can manually install an .apk file you first need to enable the setting on your tablet to allow the installation of apps from "Unknown Sources". This option can be enabled on your tablet by checking the "Unknown Sources" box in Settings -> Security.

Once you've done that, visit this link on your tablet:
[removed outdated apk]

It should save the file to your downloads, and then you should be able to simply open and install it.

One small note of caution though: you might notice some weird/quirky things with the layout of the app since it's technically not been properly formatted for your device's resolution.

Last edited:

glimmerman76

All developers love Apple because when you write an app for iOS you know it will work on all Apple devices. Android does not have that luxury, far from it. There are thousands of variations on Android, and many Android devices are not supported with any updates once they are released.

thats not true try running a new app on a gen 1 ipad or a gen 1 iphone or a iphone 3g. Some apps wont work because the devices are so old.

Like someone said the problem is with the resolution of the app on android. I sideloaded the app on my nexus 7 and the app works fine. Also works well on any android phone. For me I think the mde app runs better on android. Put it on one of the kids iphone 5 and it was slow to load.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
thats not true try running a new app on a gen 1 ipad or a gen 1 iphone or a iphone 3g. Some apps wont work because the devices are so old.

Like someone said the problem is with the resolution of the app on android. I sideloaded the app on my nexus 7 and the app works fine. Also works well on any android phone. For me I think the mde app runs better on android. Put it on one of the kids iphone 5 and it was slow to load.
Generation 1 iPads and iPhones are now not supported with updates, but my point was that Apple provide updates for far longer than most in the industry. There are people running the latest iOS7 on iPad 2s and iPhone 4. It is rare to see that outside of Apple.

It is also up to the developer of an app if they choose to use features that are not available on a gen 1 device. I could write an app right now that will run on ANY Apple device.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom