Can't decide!

Which resort would you pick?

• The Beach Club. Go big!

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • POFQ . Don't go big, go medium.

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Keep ASMu. The budget gods have spoken.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • The Contemporary. Go on the monorail!

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters

daisyduckie

Original Poster
We have added 2 nights to our trip in May, which is great:happy:! Not so great is that CSR is booked up except for king beds, and we will have to switch resorts.:arghh: And now I can't decide where to stay.

I was trying to be nice to my budget, and booked at ASMu. However, that didn't get met with much excitement from my travel buddy, my nephew. :grumpy: As he is 23 and pays his half, I need to make him happy too. But now there are too many choices!!!:banghead: But I don't want to go too crazy. And if I decide to really upgrade I will only make him pay the original cost we agreed on, which is half the cost of a moderate room.

Which would you pick?

ParentsOf4

Which would you pick?
Only you know how much money you have available to spend. Ahead of everything else, I respectfully suggest that you don't spend money you don't have.

With that disclaimer out of the way :), which hotel really depends on what you intend to do for those extra 2 days.

If you intend to stay at the parks all day and treat the room as a place to shower and sleep, then go cheap.

If you want to slow down and spend time at the hotel, then go with the Yacht & Beach Club (Y&BC).

A few random thoughts:

Disney currently is offering a 30% room discount for the Y&BC (plus one more ticket day free) for May when you add a minimum 4-day ticket.

The 2 days you are adding offer you an opportunity to try a hotel that you normally would not stay at. It's just enough time to get a flavor of what the hotel is like without breaking the bank.

In Orlando, May is a very warm time of the year. Presumably you'll want to spend the afternoon poolside. The Y&BC's Stormalong Bay offers a unique poolside experience.

If I was doing Y&BC for 2 days at the end of my vacation, I'd get my fill of MK, DAK, and Epcot's Future World before those 2 days and then focus on DHS and Epcot's World Showcase for those 2 days. This includes (for example) spending a few hours in the morning at DHS, heading back to the hotel's pool for the afternoon, and then spending the evening in Epcot's World Showcase.

If you and your 23 year-old nephew are so inclined, staying at one of the Crescent Lake hotels (Y&BC, BWI, Swan, or Dolphin) allows you to experience the World Showcase as adults (i.e. drinking), with just a short trip back to the hotel at the end of the evening.

Spend some time on the Boardwalk, across Crescent Lake from the Y&BC. The Boardwalk is the most fun after dark, so maybe this is something to try after Epcot closes at 9 PM.

Please let us know what you decide. :)

Last edited:

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Ok, I have a few questions. I think the Epcot are is probably the way to go. But, does any one resort have a shorter walk than the other? Also, I have noticed that the Swan has discounted rooms. Is the renovation really bad? How long a walk would it be to Epcot, or would a boat be the way to go? Also, I have a horrible allergy to down. Can I request different bedding?

Hawkeyegirl

We always stick to Value since we are never in the room and haven't had much time to experience the hotel. So Id save the money and put it towards dining and souvenirs…or another trip :)

TXDisney

I like beach club more then Boardwalk only bc of the pool at BC. They really are about equal distant to WS. At Boardwalk though the Boardwalk restaurants at atmosphere is right underneath you so that's a perk if you plan on doing that. I've inly stayed at the Swan once. While the location is great, you just kinda lose the feel of being at a Disney resort there. But if your looking for a deal they are cheaper.

Gaston's gal

Beach Club will be done with their pool renovations, but not the room renovations when you come. Not sure how noisy those will be. The Boardwalk doesn't have any renovations going on while you are there, though, so I would lean towards Boardwalk.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
So I talked to my nephew some more. And considering the cost he thinks it is smart to keep our ASMu reservation. Even as much as he likes Epcot he thinks the money is better spent elsewhere. Like on more table service meals.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I do want to share the little surprise I did book for my nephew--First Class tickets for the way to MCO. It was only $75 a person for the upgrade! I'm guessing because it is a late flight out of a small airport. Now to just keep it to myself for 2 months!!:in pain:

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I would pick the Contemporary for your last two additional days.
If you're like most WDW nerds around here your last day is going to at MK, what better place to be staying at then the CR for a trip back and forth to MK. We stayed there for my wife's 50th blowout bash and although theming isn't the best (as compared to my favorite the Poly) it can't be beat for convenience when going to and from the MK. Ahhhhh nice leisurely stroll from your hotel room to MK on a Spring evening in the month of May. Man I want to be there RIGHT NOW.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I know I said we were sticking at ASMu, but the Swan still keeps making it's way into my thoughts. I am never this indecisive, it is making me a bit crazy!:banghead:

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Now I see the Swan charges a one night cancellation fee. Really???? I know the odds are good we won't be cancelling, but that makes me nervous for some reason.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I have decided to keep my reservation at ASMu, but did upgrade to a preferred room. I kept going back and forth, and couldn't make a decision, so that seemed to say to me to stay put. Plus looking at the new food court, my viola playing nephew will love it! Thanks everyone for your input!!

I booked our car service too, so I feel as if that locks me in to my choice. No more stressing about that! On to stressing about if we want the dining plan or not!:rolleyes: Nephew likes it, even if it costs a bit more. He likes the ease of it. Me, I need to see how the figures work.

slappy magoo

I won't lie, I think the Value rooms are almost too small but everyone's mileage varies. But if I had to go Value, I'd choose Pop or AoA. Are they options, or all sold out?

TS0104

I just think it's so cute an aunt and a nephew are travel buddies, and she's buying him a surprise such as a first class upgrade. Nice going auntie! I would love to see my sister travel one on one with one of my kids some day :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom