Can't decide on Dining Plan

Brewer9811

Original Poster
Hello everyone. First I'd like to say thank you for all of the wonderful information I've found on the boards. I started reading everything I could find last year before my son and I made our first trip to WDW. We ended up having a great time thanks in no small part to all of the available info here.

We have a return trip booked at the YC 8/9-14 and this year as he's a year older we're going to try to forgo mid-day naps and do late afternoon TS seatings for a mid-day break. I'm trying to decide if the Dining Plan makes sense for us. I've even gone so far as to make a spreadsheet with what I thought we would eat, but with a 5 yo and even with a 37 yo, 6 months out it's tough to really know what we'll feel like eating on any given day, so I'm looking for a more general approach. We have ADR's at the following:

Cape May or Garden Grill (character b'fast) one will be canceled
Tutto Italia
Captain's Grille (Lunch)
BoG (Lunch)
Kona Cafe (dinner)
Teppan Edo

Going through those menus as well as QS menus just trying to take averages, and accounting for the snacks, I seem to be almost even with paying out of pocket. What I can't account for is the value in the drink cup and of course if we will actually spend what I've assumed. Looking for any advice when prices seem to be a wash for the DP either way. Or if anyone has had a similar menu and what their experience showed. Thanks!

andy773

Did you take into account that you still have to leave a tip at TS places with the Dining Plan?

I've found this site helpful:

https://www.distripplanner.com/

I would love to try the Dining Plan but can never get it to come close to breaking even, much less saving any money. To me, the biggest advantage to having the Dining Plan is that everything is prepaid. I find it interesting that Disney doesn't even advertise it as economical or money-saving; they advertise it as convenient and flexible. Draw your won conclusions from that.

Brewer9811

Original Poster
Thank you for the link! That site is a great help and actually shows the DP even a better deal than what I had calculated. I'm still not sold on the idea of pre-paying for food and then trying to eat your way ahead, but I think we will try it for this trip. To me it seems no different than buying insurance. Disney has an accountant somewhere that figured it out so that more often than not they're coming out ahead, they're not in it to lose money. I will definitely be keeping the receipts to add it all up at the end and see if we truly come out ahead so I have the info for future trips.

danyoung56

For me, I just don't like that the DDP dictates what I'll eat. Sometimes I might want an appetizer, sometimes dessert, sometimes neither. If I'm always concerned about getting my money's worth, it just adds another layer of complexity to an already complex vacation. The DDP is not for me.

Minnie Mum

For most people, the only way to come out ahead is to eat at buffets/AYCTE restaurants (with a big appetite), or to eat at the most expensive a la carte restaurants (not signature) and only order the most expensive items on the menu. And, of course, to use every single credit that you have.

If you normally eat like that, then that's great. Our family doesn't. We often prefer an appetizer and then share an entree because of their size. And we like the signatures - 2 TS credits for one meal are never a good value. I've tracked our food spending over several visits and have always come in well under the DDP costs

BTW- that BOG lunch will count as a CS meal, not one of your TS credits - so it's a good value on the DDP.

Brewer9811

Original Poster
For me, I just don't like that the DDP dictates what I'll eat. Sometimes I might want an appetizer, sometimes dessert, sometimes neither. If I'm always concerned about getting my money's worth, it just adds another layer of complexity to an already complex vacation. The DDP is not for me.

Exactly my concern. There are definitely times where I feel I'll order food just because I know we paid for it already. I keep waffling knowing I can have a CC linked to my MB or go buy discount Disney GC's to equal the amount of the dining plan and come out close or maybe even ahead by eating what we want. Honestly, thinking about it that way and looking at the numbers. It's really only 1% different between buying the plan and not and I get 2% back on my CC...oh the joys of planning trips!

CaptainAmerica

Thank you for the link! That site is a great help and actually shows the DP even a better deal than what I had calculated. I'm still not sold on the idea of pre-paying for food and then trying to eat your way ahead, but I think we will try it for this trip. To me it seems no different than buying insurance. Disney has an accountant somewhere that figured it out so that more often than not they're coming out ahead, they're not in it to lose money. I will definitely be keeping the receipts to add it all up at the end and see if we truly come out ahead so I have the info for future trips.
The receipt thing won't give you a true picture because it assumes that your ordering behavior would be the same on or off the dining plan. For example, let's say you paid $40 for one dinner credit. On the dining plan, you decide to get a steak plus desert that totals $45. Comparing your receipt makes it look like you came out $5 ahead. But what if you had really been craving a $14 salad and weren't really hungry for desert and you only decided to go with the steak because it was a better use of your credit? In my opinion, that's not coming out $5 ahead, that's coming out $26 behind.

s&k'smom

For our family of four it is actually worth it. We do a table service every day and a QS and being a coffee addict the refill cup has paid for itself in a day lol. It's not for everyone but for us it really is a great deal.

CaptainAmerica

For our family of four it is actually worth it. We do a table service every day and a QS and being a coffee addict the refill cup has paid for itself in a day lol. It's not for everyone but for us it really is a great deal.
You know anyone can buy one of those cups, right?

Brewer9811

Original Poster

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you feel you save on avg? Completely understand if you don't want to share. All the math I'm doing and the planning guide above shows me saving about $130, which is about 1% of the total estimated cost. I can get 2% back on my CC though

The receipt thing won't give you a true picture because it assumes that your ordering behavior would be the same on or off the dining plan. For example, let's say you paid $40 for one dinner credit. On the dining plan, you decide to get a steak plus desert that totals $45. Comparing your receipt makes it look like you came out $5 ahead. But what if you had really been craving a $14 salad and weren't really hungry for desert and you only decided to go with the steak because it was a better use of your credit? In my opinion, that's not coming out $5 ahead, that's coming out $26 behind.

Excellent point and yet another angle I hadn't thought of. Thanks

CaptainAmerica

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you feel you save on avg? Completely understand if you don't want to share. All the math I'm doing and the planning guide above shows me saving about $130, which is about 1% of the total estimated cost. I can get 2% back on my CC though
It's not really a math problem. Most people come out pretty close to "break even," but the range of outcomes can be anywhere from "way worse" to "slightly better." I recommend making the decision based on whether you conceptually like the idea of prepaying for your meals rather than whether you can come out a few dollars ahead. The stress (if you don't like the idea in principle) isn't worth the potential small savings IMO.

s&k'smom

Excellent point and yet another angle I hadn't thought of. Thanks

I don't have my notes (I'm at work, reading everyone's posts lol) even if we do say Columbia Harbor House for lunch then Boma for dinner, snacks for my son (he has food issues so we do snacks alot!) plus coffee and any ice tea/soda we may drink during the day you are closing in on $300 per day if not more. So having the dining plan and the appetites of my spouse and issues with my son it is not only so convenient we save in the end. Plus my husband loves steak/seafood so you are also looking at some of the most expensive items on the menu. If it were say just myself and my daughter going would not be worth it.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I went through all the menus with my husband for our upcoming trip to decide what we'd order and how the dining plan would work. It came out that the dining plan was a little more expensive but I decided we're going to do it next trip for a couple of reasons. First, my husband always want expensive things when we go to restaurants and I always get mad and won't let him get it. This time, he can order whatever he wants no matter what the price. Also, we don't typically order dessert at restaurants either but it's included with the dining plan so it will be an extra treat.

Family B

To the points above the dining plan pays off if you are eating Buffet/Character Meals, get Dessert, etc. We went thru each menu for out TS and determined was we would really order. We would rather have an appetizer, share a plate or skip dessert. We have found the DP to be WAY too much food. We found that paying OOP was a significant savings based on how we would actually eat. As long as I'm staying under the DP cost than anything else is a win.

contrariwise

We have gone on trips with the dining plan and without. The first trip with the dining plan, it was kind of fun trying to use up our credits and maximize our value. At some point, we decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

The primary problem with it for us is that we just don't eat like that, and don't really want to. I'd rather be free to order what I want to, rather than feel forced to order only from this category or that one. The second problem is that we always had snack credits to used up at the end of the trip on junk. It was clear to us that we got little to no value from the snack credits. And then, there's the extra added stress of keeping up with what credits you've used and how many you have left, and what you have booked. I was constantly trying to keep up with the credits, and use this there, and make sure we got to this place to use whatever credit. If we wanted to cancel something, then I had to figure out where we were going to use that credit. It was just a hassle.

I do see the argument that it feels good to have it prepaid. If that helps in some way, I say go for it. I also like PP above who said they feel free to order stuff they otherwise wouldn't. That's a really good point.

Brewer9811

Original Poster
The primary problem with it for us is that we just don't eat like that, and don't really want to. I'd rather be free to order what I want to, rather than feel forced to order only from this category or that one

Exactly. I think that's my big hang-up. I hate feeling like I have to order an entree and dessert when I really want an entree and an appetizer or just one or the other. If it costs a few bucks more I can accept that for not having to feel like I have to eat steak and dessert every night when I want an app and to split a couple smaller plates to try different things.

contrariwise

Exactly. I think that's my big hang-up. I hate feeling like I have to order an entree and dessert when I really want an entree and an appetizer or just one or the other. If it costs a few bucks more I can accept that for not having to feel like I have to eat steak and dessert every night when I want an app and to split a couple smaller plates to try different things.
We definitely felt that it dictated the way we dine ... and not in a good way. Others feel differently, I know. Good thing there's a choice!

I'm definitely the kind of person who is somehow drawn to the appetizer portion of the menu!

KrzyKtty

We're trying it for the first time this trip. I will say that pre-paying will make it a lot easier to "swallow" some of the dinners we are doing this time. We are doing CRT for dinner, and I'm not sure penny pinching me could ever eat that bill the traditional way, even if it is all the same really.

All of my calculations show us saving about 100-200 (I refused to calculate all of those damned snacks.) I only get 1% on our cc, and it is a Disney Visa, so whatever for me. :)

I also had a complicated spreadsheet and figured even if we broke even, it may be worth it for the ease.

Finally, my husband loves Disney for the food as much as anything else. We are going to 5 Character Dinners (we use this as a way to skip meet and greets) and Cinderella's Royal Table. In addition we are eating at quite a few other TS places too, to the point that we are paying for at least 3 out of pocket. I'm the only one worried about not wanting my money's worth. I am small and I so much as look at food and I will gain weight. So I tend to eat small. I figure where I can I will sub the desert for a soup or salad. Where I can't and I don't want it, I'll pawn it off on the birthday girl. :)

If it was me and one child, I don't think I would consider it. I would never want to eat enough to pay for it. Quick way to gain 20lbs lol. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom