CANDLELIGHT PROCESSION QUESTION

yensid67

Original Poster
I was wondering what the chances are like of getting a seat (WITHOUT going through dinner reservations) at The Procession? None of the restaurants appeal to us and other than that its a waste of money for us! So I guess I am asking if anyone stood in the stand by line and actually got in? What were the seats like? Also, last time I was there, you could actually watch performances from 'outside' the theatre, is that an option?(or have they put up some type of barrier?)

Thanks guys, and I sincerely wish everyone a holiday filled with Magic, Fantasy and Memories...and not just because we are on a Disney fan site! LOL!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
We never do the package and always get a seat. Pretty much anywhere you sit you have a good view being its not a large venue/theater. They leave a set
Number of seats for walk ups without packages so there always is seats for
Those without but may have to wait a while ahead of time(we never did but some say they waited for hours) . Better to choose the first show and go on a weekday also to have the best chances of getting a seat. Just all depends on the day, show, narrator etc how long the line will be to wait and get in. :)

ShareBDwithMickey

If you are at the front of the standby queue chances are good that you can get in, the more popular the person hosting the lower the chances. You are going to start queuing probably in excess of 2hrs before the show to be near the front. You can still listen from the courtyard but you won't see much. Also they will keep the path way clear. Its the trees in the area which impede the view.

Obviously those buying the package get in 1st & take the closest seating, you will most likely be seated to the rear with a distant or even limited view. If there are multiple showings the later ones will be less busy.

If a good view is imperative, the dining package will guarantee you a seat & is the only way to do that to the best of my knowledge.

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks for the info...I will put it in my memory...yeah like that works! LOL! We will be going the first week in December so it look as though the narrator could be Neil Patrick Harris or Whoopi Goldberg. either one is fine and I would imagine both are very popular!

NonnaT

There are only about 100 seats for stand by for each performance. Whoopi and NPH are the 2 most popular narrators. If not in line at least 90 minutes in advance (probably 2 hours for NPH) I doubt you'll be able to see it.
If it's important to you, read the menus and find a lunch ADR package. Otherwise you could be waiting in line and not get in.
Good luck!

piglet1

Two years ago we walked in on standby a few times for Neil Patrick Harris, without waiting on the standby line for more than half an hour. Done it for other narrators on a regular basis over the years, and have never gotten blocked out. Famous last words - trying again next week......;)

NonnaT

Two years ago we walked in on standby a few times for Neil Patrick Harris, without waiting on the standby line for more than half an hour. Done it for other narrators on a regular basis over the years, and have never gotten blocked out. Famous last words - trying again next week......;)
Let us know how it goes! Word I heard from a friend who's there now is that they've decreased the number of stand by seats to 100 per show. (Per a CM she spoke with). BUT, if there are not as many diners then the number of stand by would increase.
So, please report back!
TIA!

piglet1

Let us know how it goes! Word I heard from a friend who's there now is that they've decreased the number of stand by seats to 100 per show. (Per a CM she spoke with). BUT, if there are not as many diners then the number of stand by would increase.
So, please report back!
TIA!

Will do! We will be there Tuesday through Saturday, so the plan is to see if we get in on Tuesday, and if not, see if we can still book a package for either Wed or Friday - you can usually book Restaurant Marrakesh at the last minute!

danyoung56

I've watched many shows from the sidewalk. A few years ago they put in speakers pointing out to the sidewalk, so sound is excellent. There may be a small crowd standing, but I've never had a problem jockeying for a good position. And even though the stage is a ways away from me, I have no problem seeing what's going all. And all of this without blowing 2 hours standing in line!

fillerup

Here was our CP experience last night - Sunday, 11/29.

Went over to catch the second show and got to the theater about 5:30. The theater was full of course but there were only about 75 guests in the queue. In deciding whether to get in line that early I went up to the front of the queue and asked some guests if they had been there for the first loading of standby. They had but had purposely held back because they wanted to see the show after dark. They were of the impression that the entire SB queue got seats and one woman said that CMs were inviting passersby to come in since they still had a few seats.

We decided we didn't need to line up that early so we killed a pleasant half hour in Italy with some wine. We got in line a few minutes before 6:00 at which point there were a couple of hundred people ahead of us. They started letting SB in about 6:20 and we got great seats in the right hand section on the aisle.

There were a total of eight rows for standby on both the right and left and although I didn't get a real good look, it appeared there were about 5 rows for standby in the middle two sections.

All told, I would imagine that around 500 to 600 got in from standby. That number, by the way, is completely consistent with every performance I've been to since they started selling the packages.

Edit to add: Another pleasantry, I was going to drop my wife off at one of the Epcot resorts so she'd have a shorter walk and when I told that to security, he said that things were very quiet and I should just go ahead and park at the hotel.

Last edited:

NonnaT

Here was our CP experience last night - Sunday, 11/29.

Went over to catch the second show and got to the theater about 5:30. The theater was full of course but there were only about 75 guests in the queue. In deciding whether to get in line that early I went up to the front of the queue and asked some guests if they had been there for the first loading of standby. They had but had purposely held back because they wanted to see the show after dark. They were of the impression that the entire SB queue got seats and one woman said that CMs were inviting passersby to come in since they still had a few seats.

We decided we didn't need to line up that early so we killed a pleasant half hour in Italy with some wine. We got in line a few minutes before 6:00 at which point there were a couple of hundred people ahead of us. They started letting SB in about 6:20 and we got great seats in the right hand section on the aisle.

There were a total of eight rows for standby on both the right and left and although I didn't get a real good look, it appeared there were about 5 rows for standby in the middle two sections.

All told, I would imagine that around 500 to 600 got in from standby. That number, by the way, is completely consistent with every performance I've been to since they started selling the packages.
Thank you @fillerup for the up to the minute info. My friend spoke with a CM who told HER that there were only 100 SB seats!
Of course, CMs are occasionally incorrect.;)

piglet1

Just got back from WDW last night and were horrified to discover that what some have heard is true - they now sell so many packages that for NPH and Whoopi (Tues - Fri) there were at most five or six rows of standby seats, and the rest were roped off for packages. Tues we did make the mistake of not getting on line until half an hour before the 6:45 show, and not only didn't get in, but were so far back in line, we feared we wouldn't get into the 8:15. And it was close. The line was closed soon after us.

Wed we tried again for the 5PM and were on line over an hour until it started to rain. Hard. We bagged it and snagged a covered umbrella table at the American Pavilion, grabbed a beer and planned to listen from there. We kept an eye on someone who was on line right after us, and even in pouring rain, when many others gave up, nope. After waiting in the rain for about an hour and 15 minutes, that person did not get in.

Friday we just walked past about 3:30 and the standby line was already outside the rope maze and on its way to Germany. And the seats were roped off for the packages so that only about five rows would be available for standbys

I fear it has now reached the point where the packages are no longer a perk for a better seat, but for so-called "big draws" like NPH or for weekends, they are a requirement. Honestly, had we known it was NPH when we booked our trip (since we booked many months out) we may have changed the date to go another time. First time in more years of going for Christmas than I can remember we couldn't get in. Left a rather bad taste in our mouths, honestly, and we may skip next Christmas.

PhilharMagician

Going back 10 years ago when you had a CP dinner package we would line up just before the show and be within the first 10 rows. Now if you do not line up with the CP dinner package tickets 45 - 60 minutes early, you are inn the back of the theater. I really feel for the stand-by guests.

The major change is that they used to only offer the package for dinner service. Now they offer lunch along with dinner reservation packages and seem to push for lunch reservations (at least this what happened for our last CP). Now there are just more reservations available and they get a premium for them and sell as many as they can.

Dwarful

We currently have reservations for R&C for lunch with the early show on Dec. 22. However, I am really the only one in our group who REALLY wants to see the show. I am more about the auditory aspect of the show, as other than seeing the people on the stage there isn't much of a 'show' to see (in my opinion...vs. a play/musical)...as long as I can hear it I am happy. I am not even familiar with the person performing on our day so I don't know how 'popular' the performance will be. But I will take my chances while everyone else rides rides, sees shows or shops. lol. But as I changed our reservation from CP package to just dining I noticed there were still A LOT of dining options for the packages which makes me think they put a lot of seats into the dining section and at the last minute if they aren't sold then they open those seats up to stand by.

ShareBDwithMickey

Just got back from WDW last night and were horrified to discover that what some have heard is true - they now sell so many packages that for NPH and Whoopi (Tues - Fri) there were at most five or six rows of standby seats, and the rest were roped off for packages. Tues we did make the mistake of not getting on line until half an hour before the 6:45 show, and not only didn't get in, but were so far back in line, we feared we wouldn't get into the 8:15. And it was close. The line was closed soon after us.

Wed we tried again for the 5PM and were on line over an hour until it started to rain. Hard. We bagged it and snagged a covered umbrella table at the American Pavilion, grabbed a beer and planned to listen from there. We kept an eye on someone who was on line right after us, and even in pouring rain, when many others gave up, nope. After waiting in the rain for about an hour and 15 minutes, that person did not get in.

Friday we just walked past about 3:30 and the standby line was already outside the rope maze and on its way to Germany. And the seats were roped off for the packages so that only about five rows would be available.

Thank you for supporting the views already expressed, however as you obviously did some research prior to your trip & had clearly read that getting a seat from standby for the most popular narrators was likely to be slim to potentially non existent I am at a loss as to why you were surprised by what you saw.

Not withstanding how things used be, & whilst making no judgements in the the rights or wrongs of what is now in place, if attendance of the Processional with seating was fundamental to the enjoyment of your trip you already had the correct knowledge to ensure you could do that. Now if you decided that for you that making that extra payment was a step too far it is hardly Disneys fault.

We don't have to like a situation but not liking it will not change the reality, nor having read honestly given information from individuals who have experienced it 1st hand should finding it is a fair reflection of the situation be in anyway surprising.

If something is critical to my enjoyment & I can secure it with an extra payment & I can justify & afford said payment I will. If I can't justify or afford the costs I will not be surprised if I am not lucky enough to secure a place from standby, but more importantly I shan't be blaming Disney for choices I made, I'll add it to my bank of knowledge & plan better the next time.

Additionally if I had rocked up to the queue the 1st time & found what you found I would have made darn sure I was in the queue as early as necessary the 2nd time if it was that important to me.

Its all about informed choices now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom