Cancer's not going to stop us PTR/TR

Hey to everyone out there! :)

I'll explain the title of this thread in a little bit, but first things first. Let's meet the cast!

This is my grandniece, River. She is 2 years old and this will be her first trip to WDW.

576706_10152810550315023_848235015_n.jpg

And this is her older sister, Leah. She is 3 years old and this will also be her first trip to WDW.

946646_10152810548745023_224306463_n.jpg

Aren't they cute? LOL... The both of them have been watching a lot of Disney movies to know who the characters are and are excited to meet up with them.

This is their mother, my niece, Bianca.

150451_10151283679537761_1658012732_n.jpg

Also going will be my folks. This picture was taken during our trip in 2011 at the Crystal Palace.

307441_1997248850862_1461256307_n.jpg

Had a great time during that trip.

Also joining the party will be my girlfriend, Jennifer. She goes to WDW about every other year with her family. However, it's only for a couple of days during the Christmas holiday. This will be her first time going for a full week and staying onsite. She'll also be celebrating her birthday while we are down there.

1012169_10200138330520993_742979505_n.jpg

She's totally rockin' the Star Wars/Big Lebowski mix t-shirt! She's a fan of bowling, Star Wars and, of course, WDW!!! That makes her an awesome girlfriend!

And finally, this is me. My name is Todd and this picture was also taken on our trip in 2011. Obviously, getting ready to enjoy 'Ohana.

408559_2352435690311_1662590425_n.jpg

I know that the date says it was in 2010. However, the date, and time, was not set on the camera that we used. As you may have noticed, I'm wearing a Grumpy Dwarf t-shirt. He is my favorite character. I completely identified with Grumpy growing up. I had a hard exterior, but deep down I have a heart of gold and I'm very loyal, just like Grumpy.

Anyway, my folks, and I, had planned, last year, to take my niece and her two daughters to WDW. However, due to many "life" changing things, we were unable to go at that time. We had promised the girls that we would take them. So, we've managed to get things together and keep our promise to take them this coming September.

Well, about a month to two months ago, my mom had a cat-scan done. The results came back that she has cancer, again for the 4th time. This time it has affected her liver and part of her lungs. After several visits to several doctors, the diagnosis was pretty much the same. There really isn't much that they can do other than treat it with the most toxic cocktail of chemo possible to give her another year or two of life. The chemo is so strong that it will cause chemical burns on the skin. My mom, being the tough person she is, decided to do the treatments and to keep our plans on going to WDW.

Her doctors all agreed that if she felt well enough that she should go to WDW. Reason being that it's a positive influence. That if it makes her happy, it can help in fighting the tumors. My mom, being a huge fan of WDW, said that this cancer isn't going to prevent her from going on this trip. That, no matter what, she was going!

I was glad to hear that. I think she knows that this could be her last time to go to WDW, barring a miracle happening. So, we're going to do our best to make this a great trip for her. Having her 2 great granddaughters there for their first time and seeing it through their eyes is going to really make it special for her.

We've got photopass+ for this trip to take as many pictures as possible. We'll be staying at the OKW resort. We'll have 2 rooms. A studio for myself and Jennifer. A 2 bedroom for the rest of them. I'm really getting excited about this trip and I plan on posting as much as I can about our trip, as well as posting as many pics as I can...

Hope I can make this an enjoyable ptr/tr for everyone to read and follow...

stevehousse

I am very intrigued to read about your report and about your mom. It been almost 4 years since we lost my mom to a rare form of stomach cancer, and I wish she would have been well enough to make one last trip to her favorite vacation destination.

We all actually went a few months after he had past and that trip was very bittersweet for all of us that went. My mom is the one who turned me into a Disney freak and I appreciate that we got to go as many times a we did!

Can't wait to read more!

Obi

Original Poster
thanks to everyone for the well wishes. i'll do my best to keep everyone updated.

she has another round of treatments this week. treatments for 3 days, the following week have tests done to see how things are going and a couple of weeks down time, then repeat the process. she'll have to have a total of 6 full treatments. each treatment is done in 3 week intervals. obviously, this will still be going on while we are down in wdw. however, if the schedule is correct, she'll have to have some tests done while we are in wdw. my folks will be looking to see if there are any places close to have the tests done or if there are places onsite at Disney that they can have it done.

my mom is a big fan of wdw. I, originally, got my love for wdw from her. I've found that, now, my love for wdw revolves around my own recovery. I won't go into great detail, and I have posted a little about this in another thread, but i'm a survivor of csa (child sexual abuse). I've realized that since I've been going through my own recovery, as an adult, that wdw gives me a LOT of hope and brings out that little boy in me. brings out that innocence that was covered up so long ago. i'm not afraid when i'm there. I don't have any issues. all my worries vanish the moment i'm there. I get to be that little boy that I never really got to be. that is why wdw is special to me. why I enjoy it so much...

the last time I was there, in 2011, while in Hollywood studios, I stopped to watch the jedi training academy show. now, I really enjoy star wars and to watch these little kids up on stage having lightsaber duels with darth vader, was really cool to me. I just had a huge smile on my face the whole time. there was one kid, that when asked by darth vader to join him in ruling the galaxy, yelled out that he would never join him and started swinging his lightsaber. the guy playing darth vader got into the role more and played along with it. it was great! deep down, though, that little boy in me was wishing to be up on stage too. to be a part of it.... maybe someday i'll get the chance...

Disney_Belle

I hope this trip is the best trip yet and you bring lots of wonderful memories back with you! Your mom is a tough cookie from the sounds of it! Sending her (and the whole family) lots of prayers, pixie dust and wishes for a wonderful trip!

Englebabies

1st off sorry to hear about the diagnosis, there is a bight side if she is willing, my MIL was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer, two years ago a day before Christmas, she chose to not do any type of chemo and chose to go all natural and fight it the alternative way. If your mom would like I can put her in contact with my MIL who can guide her on the alternative method that requires no harsh treatments. She bet her cancer and is alive and well today because of her choice, her doctors also gave her no hope.

Glad to hear you are going to do the trip, I hope you all have fun.

WLBound

I hope this trip is the most special and magical for you all. We lost my MIL almost two years ago to cancer so I can only imagine going through treatment while at WDW. We'll be praying that all goes well and your trip is everything you wish it to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom