Pre-Trip Canadian Dollar is Plummeting? Might as well head to WDW!

Well, this wasn’t something I thought I would be writing for another couple years but after a bad Disney withdrawal hit both my wife and I, we decided to take a look into potentially booking yet another visit.

We had planned to take a break from Disney this year after a WDW trip in 2014 followed by two Disneyland trips last year. Couple that with a struggling Canadian dollar and we felt we might be better served doing a beach vacation as a change of pace. While part of that plan is actually in place, we will be heading to Mexico at the end of March, Our desire to be in Disney definitely got the best of us.

Here are a few pics from our last DL trip. 60th celebration was something we couldn't pass up.
10897085_10154315805105476_2978695436587366835_n.jpg

12038053_10154315807315476_5672140471806412763_n.jpg

12032954_10154315807375476_8341404477778719308_n.jpg

We had been kicking around the thought of doing Disney once again about a month ago after seeing numerous Disneyland photos posted by friends of our who were taking their kids to DL for the first time. We priced out a few DL options and just for fun looked at WDW as well. Wanting to stay at Disney hotel makes four or five days a DL an expensive venture. We decided if we were going to spend the money we might has well get twice the trip by heading to WDW.

With that decision made we made a request through David’s DVC to find out what might be available for our preferred trip dates. Less than 24 hours later we were signing off on an August 4-13 stay in a studio villa at the new Polynesian Resort Villas! Everything came together so quickly it was like a blur but now that things have settled in a tad, we are super excited!

Here is a link to our last pre-trip report and a link to our last trip report if you feel so inclined to check them out.

Ok, so with that long winded preamble in the books let’s get into the nitty gritty.

WHO:
Our cast of characters consist of Me (Matt) and my wife Kelly
wd013wdw2014259120553044.jpeg

and our daughters, Ella (5)
12183947_10154315805330476_1476607963573887901_o.jpg

and Lennon (3).
IMG_2051.jpg

This will be the first time we are tackling WDW just the four of us. Our last two trips have included family to help out with the kids but this time we want to do it on our own.

It has been nice to have some support on these trips to help with nap times and to allow Kelly and I an opportunity to explore the parks on our own or have an occasional quiet meal together but we are excited about it just being us.

WHEN:
We will be making the trip from Edmonton, AB Canada to WDW from August 4-13. Ideally we planned on looking into a September trip but my wife already has the time off work and it allows us to travel without having to take either daughter out of class so early into the school year.

WHERE:
This will be our first stay at the Poly. In the past we’ve stayed on-site at the Swan, Wilderness Lodge and most recently a night at Port Orleans French Quarter followed by seven nights in a one bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge.

IMG_7089.jpg

Poly has always been near the top of the WDW resort bucket list so we thought we’d take a stab at staying there without thinking we had much of a chance. Our three options when contacting David’s were the Poly, the Boardwalk and Bay Lake. Turned out our top choice was available and we secured it less than a day after making the request. As an aside, I would TOTALLY recommend David’s to anyone looking at booking DVC accommodations. They work super quickly and were extremely great to deal with throughout the quick process.

This seems like a good place to take a break. When I get a chance to post again I'll start piecing together our plan of attack for the trip. We've been able to book our restaurants but still have a ton of planning to take care of as the months slip by and August gets closer. I look forward to updating our pre-trip report and sharing our plans with the group!

Thanks for reading!

Wendy Pleakley

I'm in the same boat as you guys. At least the Canadian dollar has inched upward a little bit.

I figure I can go next year and offset the difference by buying some groceries and doing some in-meal rooms, and cutting back on table service meals.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I'm in the same boat as you guys. At least the Canadian dollar has inched upward a little bit.

I figure I can go next year and offset the difference by buying some groceries and doing some in-meal rooms, and cutting back on table service meals.

Soaring over 76 cents! Slowly creeping up there. Hoping that continues as oil climbs back a little. Fingers crossed you're able to get back next year. We love ordering groceries to have in the room for meals or snacks. Definitely a good way to keep costs down a bit.

Missymoe4

I look forward to hearing more about your trip. Like you, I, too, want to stay in the Poly Villas. I have stayed in a longhouse, which was really nice and a convenient boat ride to the MK.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
THE SCRIPT:

Ok I've had some time to start piecing together some details of the trip we have planned out to this point. I'll likely beak this up into a couple posts just to save on posting one massive mess of words.

We still have plenty of details to confirm, like flights, park passes, our Magical Express reservation and our FastPass+ selections, which we can make in early June according to our vacation guide Disney has sent to us!

ba21621c-55fa-49f5-9898-619ddaa6c59a.jpg

But now that the room is booked we have started piecing together our plan including making our ADR’s for the trip. Glad we decided to book when we did so that we could secure meals around the “busy” eating times. Ella is a type-1 diabetic (you can see her pump in the picture of her above) so trying to keep her on the regular routine is important even though it’s a little more difficult when on vacation.

This is a quick look at what we have planned so far and by all means jump in with your comments about the restaurants we have booked. We’d love you opinions!

August 4: Travel Day

The trip from Edmonton to Orlando is a long one so other than a couple of flights and a bus ride to the hotel I don’t see us doing anything other than settling into our room, unpacking a little, putting our food from the Garden Grocer away and exploring the Poly for a bit before getting a good night’s sleep to prep for day one at the park!

August 5 – Magic Kingdom

Of course MK will be our first park to visit and why not? Can’t see us starting any WDW trip at a different park even if the girls are already calling for Frozen to be our first ride!

At this point in time since we cannot book rides or anything else the only thing I can report on is that we will be having lunch at the Plaza. We ate here on the last trip and we really enjoyed the food. I passed up on the Cheesesteak Sandwich and opted for the Plaza Club but after a quick taste of Kelly’s cheesesteak I will not be making that mistake again this time!

Another thing that I have made tradition during our WDW trips is getting a haircut at the Main Street Barbershop. This time I think both Ella and I will be getting a trim. Ella hasn’t had an actual haircut yet so this will kinda be her first official cut. What better place than the Magic Kingdom to get that done?!

2B4686E0-8BBB-47F7-9498-8055E36F644A.jpg

August 6 – Animal Kingdom / Magic Kingdom

The girls will continue to wait to ride the new Frozen ride but I’m sure it will be worth it to them when we finally do make it to EPCOT. Since its Saturday we thought we should hit AK hoping that it won’t be as busy as some of the other parks. Very much looking forward to Kilimanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest. Even Ella is already toying with the idea of riding EE. My guess is she chickens out but fingers crossed.

We plan to kick off the day by getting up early and taking advantage of reservations at Kona Café. Kona is a must hit for me just for the pressed coffee alone. Already debating on whether to order Tonga Toast (which I usually do) or try something new as I can grab Tonga Toast from Captain Cooks later on in the trip. Anyone with advice they are willing to share please do so!

IMG_2056.jpg

After spending the morning at AK and heading back to the resort for a bit or potentially exploring the Boardwalk or something, I think we plan on heading back to MK to utilize our FP+ and take in the Main Street Electrical Parade and the fireworks. It doesn’t seem that long ago that both kids were scared of the fireworks but they’re way over that now. And besides, in my opinion nothing beats MK at night when everything is all lit up.

IMG_2127.jpg

August 7 – Hollywood Studios / EPCOT

Initial plan is to hit the Studios first thing and spend the morning there, maybe grab lunch before heading back to the hotel for some pool time or a quick nap if we think the girls might need it. I know they are really fired up for Toy Story but I am subtly trying to convince Ella that it’s time for her to take her first ride on Tower of Terror. I know it’ll likely end in disaster if she does do it but it would be fun to get her on for the first time.

After a little downtime we plan to head to EPCOT for our dinner reservation at Le Cellier. I know it’s pretty lame for a bunch of Canadians to eat in the Canadian pavilion but we had such a good experience there in 2011 that we want to go back. We plan on making our FP+ reservations for EPCOT hoping we can handle the lines at DHS in the morning. Finally the girls will get to ride Frozen!

IMG_2089.jpg

August 8 – Magic Kingdom / Hollywood Studios

Back to MK for breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table. We have been several times but since we have two daughters who are obsessed with Disney Princesses we really cannot avoid this character meal!
IMG_7305.jpg

No doubt we will spend the rest of the morning, into the early afternoon exploring the park, trying to meet as many characters as possible before heading back to the Poly for a dip or a couple drinks in the room or around the pool.

Then it’s back to DHS for one of my favourite dining experiences, 50’s Prime Time. Every trip we seem to eat here and we are never disappointed. The food is always great and the service is typically better. On two of our three meals there we had the same server, our Uncle Tim, who made it a memorable meal. Hoping we walk away with the same feeling this time.

August 9 – Water Park / Disney Springs

Day begins with breakfast at Chef Mickey’s! Staying at the Poly should make getting to the Contemporary pretty easy thanks to the Monorail. Kelly wanted to add a few more character meals but I think we’ve settled on the two we have planned. The last time we were at Chef Mickey’s was 2009 so we are looking forward to heading back with the kids this time around.

Our kids are definite water bugs and there is no chance we wouldn’t hit up one of the water parks while we are here. In 2014 we went to Blizzard Beach so this time it might be Typhoon Lagoon but we still have time to figure that out. Lennon was a tad bit young to really have fun at the water park which I am sure won’t be an issue this time around. Ella had no issues with putting on a life jacket and going down the kids slides a hundred times over. Should be a nice change of pace from the parks this day.

No clue how long we will be at the water park but after a chance to get back to the resort and take it easy for a little I think we will make the trek to Disney Springs to check out all the changes since the last trip. We will definitely spend some time in the Christmas store trying to find the next additions to our Disney tree that is already overflowing with ornaments.

A late addition was booking dinner at 'Ohana. Kelly had been reading a lot about the restaurant and how good (generally) the reviews have been so we figured why not? It's definitely convenient being at our resort and all then we can head to Disney Springs for a somewhat relaxing evening.

I'll stop here for now and post the rest of the script right away. Reading everyone's recent reports has made me super excited to get back. Not often does a Canadian hope that spring/summer fly by as fast as possible but that's pretty much my frame of mind at the moment! Can't wait to get back!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Back at it to update the rest of the script, even if it's far from complete!

August 10 – Hollywood Studios

Back to DHS for the morning followed by a new dining experience for us, lunch at Sci-Fi. We’ve been told by friends that they’ve really enjoyed Sci-Fi and we think the girls will get a kick out of eating in the car so we figured why not. Always good to try something new!

IMG_7518.jpg

Leaving what happens in the afternoon up for grabs right now. Maybe some mini-golf or we might head back to either EPCOT or AK to catch the new night time Rivers of Night show, which looks awesome! So much to figure out before the real crunch of FP+ is upon us.

August 11 - Animal Kingdom / EPCOT

I suppose our park choice will depend on what we decide to do the night before, which we will obviously hammer out before we make our FP+ selections in June, but I’m guessing a final visit to Animal Kingdom might be in the cards. I definitely want to take in a couple of the live shows so this might be an opportunity to do so. No meals planned during the day but I know Kelly is wanting to hit up Flame Tree at some point so this might give us a chance to enjoy lunch there.

What we do know is that the evening we will be heading back to EPCOT for another new dining experience, via Napoli. Last trip we celebrated Kelly’s moms’ birthday at Teppan Edo, which was amazing. I would have loved to go back but figured it was a good chance for us to do something new. I was all for the Rose and Crown but it was vetoed as Kelly didn’t think the kids would enjoy it. The crush pasta so this should be a winner.

IMG_2047.jpg

August 12 – Magic Kingdom

The plan is to spend our final day of the trip the way we started it, a full day at Magic Kingdom. I’m sure we will be up early to be at the park upon opening to get as much accomplished as possible before we inevitably have to head back to the Poly to recharge for a bit.

No plans for breakfast or lunch but I’d have no issue stopping in at Pecos Bill’s for lunch. Have not had eaten there since 2009 but I’ve always remembered that fixin’ bar! Any other suggestions for a quick service lunch would be more than appreciated.

IMG_2126.jpg

No doubt I’ll enjoy one last Dole Whip (of which I plan to have many!) when we head back to the resort for some pool time or a quick nap.

After a little break we will make our way back to MK to ensure we are in the park to have dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. We ate here on our last trip and really enjoyed it. Kelly loved the turkey dinner and I’m sure she will be indulging in that again.

From there we will try to soak in as much as possible throughout the evening before sadly calling it a night and heading back to prepare for our venture home the next day. If the park is open late I tend to stick around alone until close to closing to really get as much as possible out of that final day.

August 13 – Heading Home

While we don’t yet know when we will be climbing about the Magical Express to head to the airport, I’m hoping we won’t have to rush around too much in the morning to grab an early flight home. If we do end up having some time to play with I’m going to push for one last Kona meal but if it comes down to grabbing something at Capt’n Cooks I guess I could live with that.

IMG_7427.jpg

I’m sure it will be nice to sleep in our own beds when we do finally arrive home after a long travel day, it’s definitely going to be sad to leave. Pretty sure we will be throwing around plans for the next trip on the plane ride home.

Well that’s the plan as it stands for now. Like I said in my previous post, there is still much for us to take care of leading up to August. Our WDW obsession will take a brief back seat as we head to Mexico on the 31st but no doubt we will be talking about all things Disney while we are enjoying the sun, sand and drinks in the Mayan!

Please feel free to give us your thoughts on the restaurants we have booked and by all means fire over some suggestions for us to check out around the World that we haven’t listed.

Thanks for reading and I will certainly have periodic updates including our FP+ bookings once we have the opportunity to make them official!

Thanks for reading along!

Wendy Pleakley

Ohana is great. The trick is to resist filling up on all the appetizers. Pace yourself to enjoy as much of the meat they bring around as possible. Save room for their dessert too, it's great.

Sci-fi drive in is a great choice. Even if you end up not loving the food, the atmosphere is one of those "only at Disney" things.

I've been to WDW many times and for some reason I have yet to try the Tonga Toast. It's at the top of my list for next time.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Ohana is great. The trick is to resist filling up on all the appetizers. Pace yourself to enjoy as much of the meat they bring around as possible. Save room for their dessert too, it's great.

Sci-fi drive in is a great choice. Even if you end up not loving the food, the atmosphere is one of those "only at Disney" things.

I've been to WDW many times and for some reason I have yet to try the Tonga Toast. It's at the top of my list for next time.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like Kelly was right on pushing both of those restaurants. Looking forward to trying something new.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As we get a little bit closer to August, still painfully far away it seems, we have made some updates to our trip, booked our flights and bought our park passes! And yes, the Canadian dollar still sucks which is not a good thing when buying park passes! Everything is now ready to go and the count down is on to booking our FastPass+ selections in early June.

By the way, here are a couple of quick shots from our April trip to Mexico. The girls seemed to really enjoy themselves, even stating they wanted to go back to Mexico again before heading back to WDW but that seems to have passed now that we keep getting closer and talking more about our August trip!

12961594_10154675510720476_1016755119272004807_n.jpg

12936573_10154675510290476_6587870305248682855_n.jpg

As we were looking for flights we had the idea of taking a red-eye over night to arrive mid-morning of August 4th. That way we could get to the resort, hopefully get luck with our room being ready and relax the rest of the day before hitting the parks the next morning. Sadly the red-eye flight became crazy expensive for whatever reason so we decided to book an 830 am flight our of Edmonton on August 3rd, getting us to Orlando at 600 pm after a quick layover in Houston. I used some travel rewards points built up on my credit card to book an extra night at the All Star Movies Resort and have just finalized securing our Magic Express ride from the airport to the hotel. Thankfully our return flight for August 13th doesn't depart Orlando until 130 pm so we have some time to sleep in a bit and get packed without having to get up early and rush to catch Magical Express back to the airport.

Assuming we actually arrive as scheduled, which has been a major issue for us on past WDW trips, I think we will quickly explore the resort and pretty much hunker down for the night before getting up and casually making our way to the Poly the next day. Still no plans to go to the Parks until August 5th so we plan to use the Thursday to get to know the Poly, take a dip in the pool, grab a Dole whip, maybe head to Disney Springs or the Boardwalk and then head to back to our resort for dinner at O'hana. My wife, Kelly, has been doing some re-arranging of our dining reservations so our original plans have changed a little.

I'll run down the restaurant reservations in another post but the thing I am currently most excited about are the haircuts that both Ella and I have booked for the afternoon of Friday, August 5th at the Harmony Barber Shop on Main Street. This has become a tradition for me now that started two or three trips ago so I am looking forward to keeping it up but for Ella, even though she will be pushing six years old, this will be her first official haircut so we've booked her the child's first cut package. She seems pretty excited about the whole thing and is hoping she gets some magic fairy dust in her hair so she can fly around the park the rest of the day!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As mentioned, Kelly has been doing some playing around with our original dining reservation schedule, especially now that we have an extra day planned. Here is a list of the reservations we have made. Some of these places we have dined at before but a good mix of them are new to us. Any reviews you might have of any of these places would be more than welcome!

August 4 - Dinner at 'Ohana (new)

August 5 - Lunch at the Plaza

August 6 - Breakfast at Kona and Dinner at Beaches and Cream (new)

August 7 - Dinner at Le Cellier

August 8 - Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table and Dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe

August 9 - Breakfast at Chef Mickey's and Dinner at the BOATHOUSE (new)

August 10 - Lunch at Sci-Fi Theatre (new)

August 11 - Dinner at Via Napoli (new)

August 12 - Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern

Not a bad looking lineup in my opinion but again, we'd love to hear yours. We still have a little time to potentially add another one or two meals with your suggestions!

Thanks for reading a long with our latest update. Next bit of big news to share will be our FastPass+ selections which are rapidly approaching! June 4th (I think) is when we will have the chance to start booking and I expect to have some type of update for this pre-trip report shortly after.

Until then I know my wife will continue to diligently read and comment on many of your trip reports and she will most definitely share some of the great experiences you've had with me to get us excited about our trip!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We are now under a month away from heading back to the world and everything is all set. Resort check-in complete, park passes secured, flights booked, Magical Express booked, grocery delivery ordered, dining reservations made, FastPass + selections made and everything is paid for. Now the struggle to pack everything up is pretty much the only challenge we have left. I keep saying three suitcases will be more than enough but the wife feels like we might need one more. I don't win many battles but this one I am confident I will emerge victorious!

At any rate, thought I would update you with our FastPass selections. We recently measures Lennon and she is standing just over 40 inches tall. She was beyond excited to know she will be able to go on pretty much every ride while we are there. For whatever reason she cannot wait to get on Tower of Terror but I have a feeling she will change her mind once we get there.

Anyways, here's the run down for what we have planned...

August 5 - Magic Kingdom
Big Thunder 9:05 am
Peter Pan's Flight 10:55 am
Seven Dwarf Mine Train 1:25 pm

August 6 EPCOT (though we will be starting our day at Animal Kingdom)
Frozen Ever After 7:15 pm
The Seas with Nemo and Friends 8:30 pm

August 7 Hollywood Studios
Tower of Terror 9:00 am
Toy Story Mania 10:00 am
Disney Junior 11:00 am

August 8 Magic Kingdom
Seven Dwarf Mine Train 9:35 am
Enchanted Tales with Belle 12:00 pm
Splash Mountain 1:05 pm

August 9 EPCOT (spending the morning at one of the water parks...not sure which one yet.)
Soarin' 8:00 pm

August 10 Hollywood Studios
Great Movie Ride 9:30 am
Tower of Terror 10:30 am
Muppet Vision 3D 11:30 am

August 11 EPCOT
Test Track 9:20 am
Spaceship Earth 10:30 am
Character Meet and Greet 11:30 am

August 12 Magic Kingdom
Space Mountain 9:35 am
Peter Pan's Flight 11:40 am
Meet Tinker Belle 1:00 pm

A few of the days we haven't used our allotment of FastPass selections but with dining reservations and whatnot we had to drop one or two here or there. Looks like we are neglecting Animal Kingdom but figured we wouldn't really need FP+ selections when we are planning on going to that park. Only plan to spend a half day, either morning or evening, when we do hit up AK so thought we should make other selections for the parks we will be visiting opposite of AK.

Very much looking forward to both Frozen Ever After and Soarin' to check out the new version. After seeing how busy Frozen has been we tried to corral another FP selection but no dice. At least we will get on it once without having to wait 180+ minutes.

That's pretty much it for our pre-trip report. We may have a few other updates before August 3rd but for now, the countdown is on! Can't wait to get back and experience the magic again.

LisaBelle

Your plans look great! I stayed at the Poly with my sister back in February and we loved it. We both wish we'd had more "down time" to just relax and enjoy the Poly, so I think you will be very happy that you scheduled a relaxing day there at the beginning of your trip. Happy you were able to get a FP+ for Frozen. Can't wait to hear how the girls like it and also whether or not they brave their first ride on ToT!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Your plans look great! I stayed at the Poly with my sister back in February and we loved it. We both wish we'd had more "down time" to just relax and enjoy the Poly, so I think you will be very happy that you scheduled a relaxing day there at the beginning of your trip. Happy you were able to get a FP+ for Frozen. Can't wait to hear how the girls like it and also whether or not they brave their first ride on ToT!

Thanks so much, @LisaBelle and sorry for the delayed response. My wife comes on here under my account numerous times a day so sometimes I miss notifications!

With how hot the weather should likely be I think we will get a great chance to get back to the Poly and enjoy what the resort has to offer. We are really looking forward to staying there for the first time.

Just over two weeks away now...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom