1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada Pavilion Rant

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by scorp16, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Well-Known Member

The gardens in Canada are one of my favorite spots in all of WS. And I really like the mountains/waterfall as well. I'm not the biggest Martin Short fan, but I still like the movie and hte fact that Canada is one of the pavilions that actually has an attraction in it elevates it towards the top of the list, IMO.

2. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

Yes!

MinnieM123 and Bronson55 like this.
  3. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Well that's a lie considering the hotel structure is a replica of the Château Frontenac in Quebec
    [​IMG]

4. Jedi Stitch

Jedi Stitch Active Member

Yes the totems and such are BC. Heck felt like home, but them from Seattle. I love the Chateau from Quebec, great architectural sample. My wife was bummed when we looked at the shops there, because everything is available in Vancouver that was there. I agree it has more of a BC feel, but it is a nice spot, we enjoyed.

MinnieM123 likes this.
  5. castlecake2.0

castlecake2.0 Well-Known Member

There is so much room for opportunity in the pavilion. Even if the upstairs was just used for an art gallery of some sorts so there was at least something to do/look at instead of just being used as storage. The building across from the Chateau was going to be a tourist office but was never finished inside. The chateau is beautiful inside but would need a big refurbishment. We were told during a pavilion meeting (in 2014) that there was no plans for the Canada showcase for at least 5 years.

6. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

We need to talk about this!! I don't think I remember a time when it wasn't. Marie

marni1971 likes this.
  7. scorp16

scorp16 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Close. It is actually modeled after the Chateau Laurier in Ottowa.

8. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

Jason from Off Kilter heads up the new act that is usually there, although they have been rotated out for the Food & Wine Fest, called Alberta Bound which are pretty good. Come the holiday season, The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs will be back on the Mill Stage, which is AB for the most part but with different costumes. I haven't hear anything about the current act Suroit I believe is the name. I have heard great things about Bodhaktan from previous performances and I do look forward to catching them at some point. The third act, I know nothing about at all.
    I do love the Canadian Pavilion, the waterfalls and gardens are lovely, but I think the pavilion could be expanded and made even better by using some of the space that is closed off currently. Marie

MinnieM123 likes this.
  9. Dave Ber

Dave Ber Active Member

What attraction do they have, never really noticed one before in Canada?

10. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

No its not.

11. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

I wish they had a place year round that sold at least the soup. I love that soup.

12. castlecake2.0

castlecake2.0 Well-Known Member

In our training documents for the pavilion it's stated that the Chateau (called l'hotel du Canada) is modelled after Le Chateau Laurier hotel in Ottawa as a tribute to the castle style hotels built by the Canadian railway companies at the turn of the century.

13. NeedMoreMickey

NeedMoreMickey Well-Known Member

As you go up the stairs there was a store on the right that sold Anne of Green Gables items. I also bought a picture of a duck painted on I think a piece of black slate that sits on my mantel at home. It used to be I always found something to buy in the shop(s) in Canada usually an inexpensive piece of jewelry or night shirt. I purchased our Christmas tree topper in Canada one year. I don't think I've purchased anything in the last few trips.

14. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Well they can say it but it's pretty obvious it isn't

15. insert name here

insert name here Well-Known Member

I believe someone here brought up the idea of adding a raft ride, which would be amazing. It could be like a Canadian Grizzly River Run, and ideally it would block the Soarin' show building from view.

16. Bender123

Bender123 Well-Known Member

I don't know how you could think its not based on that hotel...Its a standard shrink and edit from the hotel listed. I think the problem in Canada, that other pavilions avoid, is that its standing by itself and fails a bit in scale/appearance.

The other pavilions have recognizable things that lead into something else recognizable...Look at the UK, you have the Tower of London next to a 1800s row of shops. You can see those parts, but your eyes don't get a lot of chance to pick it apart. Canada just sits there drawing attention.

[​IMG]

17. jaklgreen

jaklgreen Well-Known Member

This is what I was going to say, we need the beaver tails back!!!!!

Cmdr_Crimson likes this.
  18. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

Anytime I've seen this force perspective image it always looks like SE is a monster compared to the Chateau...
    [​IMG]

19. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Could be modeled after both, they were built by the Railroad and were pretty much identical. But, why be picky. It represents the Canada that outsiders have been given. Whether in Quebec or in Ontario... it's truly unique in it's Canada vibe.

Either way, it's not British Columbia.

20. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I've always loved that photo.