Can you remember the first attraction you ever did in Disney World?

mergatroid

Original Poster
And what you thought of it. I first visited Disney over 40 years ago and can still remember my first visit. We went to the Magic Kingdom and I still remember the excitement in the car as we drove through Disney property with the radio tuned into the Disney channel advising visitors of that days goings on etc. After parking I remember getting the tram to the TTC before catching the monorail and marveling at actually travelling through the lobby of a hotel.

We walked up Main Street being blown away by the castle and various sights and smells and my dad decided we'd turn right into Tomorrowland (interestingly I've nearly always done this on most of my visits since). He decided as head of the family that we'd visit 'Circle-Vision 360°' first as that was pretty much the first thing we came to and I've got to admit I was a tad disappointed initially. There was nothing wrong with watching 'America the Beautiful' however as a kid there were many more exciting things to see in a theme park than a film whilst stood up even if I'd never seen anything like it before.

After seeing that we crossed over to Mission to Mars and that's when I discovered the absolute joy of Disney attractions. The audio animatronics in the pre-show area were breathtaking to me as a child and the effects of the seat moving as you took off in the attraction seemed the best thing ever! I was hooked straight away and as the day proceeded things just got better and better.

So looking back my first attraction visited was a bit of a let down if I'm honest, but that was very short lived and I put it down to having little desire to watch a film about America instead of riding rides and my lack of patience. So what's everyone else's first attraction and what did you think of it?

Edit: Well that's stupid of me, meant to post it in the general discussion forum. Apologies and please move mods :oops:

Ryan H. Serowinski

I think it was Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin in 2005, I don't really remember because I was 7 back then(and I didn't have a digital camera, also all of the pictures from that trip were lost)

JIMINYCR

The first attraction I ever rode was PotC. Once we walked up Main Street and got over being dazzled by the sight of the castle and the feeling of finally being here, we headed immediately over to PotC. It was THE ride that I had seen on TV being promoted by Walt that gave me the dream of going to Disney one day and was THE ride I had to do. I still have that fond memory fresh in my mind. After PotC it was Splash.

zurgandfriend

Oh Lord yes;

WDW 1994 - Haunted Mansion

Disney Land 1959 - The submarine voyage, it had just opened. I even remember my dad and I rode the Triton D-305, my sister was afraid to go on it.

MightyMouse

20,000 Leagues. 1987. My memories of the ride are faint however, seeing as I was a child. I remember more watching the parade, Figment, and Dale (ala, Chip & Dale) running off with my hat over at Epcot and not returning it.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure, but, based on my normal habits, I would have to say it was PoTC. I had a number of people listing what were must see's, so the first day we zig zaged across MK about a gazillion times trying to see what was recommended. We finally decided that this was a waste of time and just start at the first one and keep going to them until we saw them all. That worked much better. I'm pretty sure that we skipped Jungle Cruise the first trip, but, I don't remember why. Maybe just forgot it. That was 35 years ago. I barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning. Actually the only reason why I can is because I always have the same thing. I know we didn't ride Space Mountain because my girls were quite young and didn't want to ride the scary, in the dark, roller-coaster.

Clamman73

I honestly wish I knew and had more moments from back in the '70s as a little kid videotaped and pictures taken of me at Disney. There are some pics, but my own recollection of a point in time is the Epcot monorail preview being outside on the station platform I guess August '82. So for a ride at MK before that...I can't think of a ride before then that I definetly remember being on. It's a lot of a blur with maybe going on Thunder for first time, being on 20K...and I don't think my parents have a clue what they might have taken me on as a baby in '73.

Raineman

I think it was the WEDway People Mover in March of 1990. I was there with my grandmother, and I believe we hit Tomorrowland first. The only MK attraction I remember vividly from that day was 20K Leagues-that ride kinda blew my mind at the time.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think it was the WEDway People Mover in March of 1990. I was there with my grandmother, and I believe we hit Tomorrowland first. The only MK attraction I remember vividly from that day was 20K Leagues-that ride kinda blew my mind at the time.

With your username I'd have expected you to have remembered every single detail of the occasion :)

Figments Friend

1978 or 1979...cannot remember which year exactly...when I first visited WDW.

Two things stood out in my 6 to 7 year old mind -
The airplane ride down to Orlando ( first flight ever ) and the Park Attraction of yore, 'The Mickey Mouse Revue'

'Revue' stood out for me because I was fascinated by the 'moving cartoon characters'.
I knew they were not 'real', yet I also knew they were not 'costumed' characters.
My first real introduction to the art of Audio-Animatronics definitely made a impact even at that early stage.

What is odd, is I remember absolutely nothing else about that first visit.
Just those two memories.

-

Fletch

Tiki birds, 1991 on our honeymoon. I must admit I did not remember but DW did. With my memory jogged, I remember we looked at each other and thought it was...hokey. But as I thought about it in time, being the novice in matters like this at the time, I ended being impressed with what it takes to put on a presentation like this.

Laketravis

The first attraction we did the first day we hit the Magic Kingdom was Haunted Mansion in August of 1972. It looked so much different then because the trees and other foliage weren't anywhere near as large as they are now.

AndyS2992

My first Disney World ride was Space Mountain on August 7th 2008. I didn't like coasters back then and especially not one in the dark and had heard many stories beforehand from friends and family about how scary it was. In the line I was so nervous that I thought I was going to be sick, the screams from riders above didin't help either, but I got on the ride and told myself it's a kids ride as there many in line and thought if they could do it then so could I. So the ride starts and and goes down that little drop in the dark before going up the lift hill and at this point I knew I had made a big mistake and started to panic a little and gripped on tight and hoped for the best. So the ride ends and I get off thinking was that it? Then I totallly wanted to do it again and as it was early morning, we did. And now one of my favourite things to do is visit Magic Kingdom at night whilst everyone is watching the parade and fireworks and just ride Space, Thunder and Splash Mountain in the dark over and over. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom