Can We Agree to Stop Complaining Disney About Prices? Let's Talk Value

Glasgow

I cannot complain about any company raising prices to make more money, it's part of a free enterprise economy. It's sad that some people cannot afford a trip, but the last I checked Disney is not a necessity. It may be a rite, but it's certainly not a RIGHT. I'm much more concerned with the increasing sense of entitlement in today's society rather than high prices at Disney.

Heck, if the prices were lower then the parks would be even MORE busy, then people would just complain about that instead. Raising prices is not only for maximizing profits but also for crowd control .. For better or for worse.

I cannot complain about any company raising prices to make more money, it's part of a free enterprise economy. It's sad that some people cannot afford a trip, but the last I checked Disney is not a necessity. It may be a rite, but it's certainly not a RIGHT. I'm much more concerned with the increasing sense of entitlement in today's society rather than high prices at Disney.

Heck, if the prices were lower then the parks would be even MORE busy, then people would just complain about that instead. Raising prices is not only for maximizing profits but also for crowd control .. For better or for worse.

Yeah Companies that are successful and crowded always just raise the prices. That's why McDonalds still only has one store.
It's also why Disney world is only one park and one hotel.

Oh wait that's right when something is successful and it's in high demand THEY EXPAND!!! Problem is Disney isn't expanding. They are removing more then they are adding.

All of the problems the parks have could be fixed by expanding

Shame really Disney doesn't see what's happening. Universal does that's why they are expanding and why they took 3% of Disneys market share. Just wait till the new Harry potter land opens

Tomi-Rocket

$730/night for a parking lot view at The Grand would be vastly overpriced in any city on the planet. Particularly for the quality of the hotel and staff. Throw in the price of food, particularly Table Service across the entire resort and I can easily see how people feel WDW is greatly over priced for the quality of the product.

I don't know. What average person would choose to stay in a $750 a night room? Anyway, we stayed in a Hilton in downtown NYC for roughly $500 a night and I remember saying to my DH that the hotels were better at WDW. I guess it all depends on the person.

BigTxEars

Yeah Companies that are successful and crowded always just raise the prices. That's why McDonalds still only has one store.
It's also why Disney world is only one park and one hotel.

Oh wait that's right when something is successful and it's in high demand THEY EXPAND!!! Problem is Disney isn't expanding. They are removing more then they are adding.

All of the problems the parks have could be fixed by expanding

Shame really Disney doesn't see what's happening. Universal does that's why they are expanding and why they took 3% of Disneys market share. Just wait till the new Harry potter land opens

Disney is not expanding? What would you call the new Fantasy Land and Avatar Land?

Disney had record attendance last quarter from the reports in the Orlando newspapers . If Uni took 3% of their market then the market must have grown. I really don't think a lack of bodies in the park is an issue at WDW. :)

Either way both parks are great, I favor Disney more as it has more to do over a week than Uni but them competing is nothing but a win for us IMO.

BigTxEars

Too true, that sense of entitlement today among some is utter garbage but man is it working it's way thru society these days. No doubt with the placement of Disney in our culture there are indeed folks out there that think WDW is a right that everyone should have access too. If they can not afford it then somehow it's Disney responsibility to "fix" that. Or better yet the govt should step in :eek: and do something about it.

Kinda like govt issue (tax payer paid for) cell phones for the people. Can't afford luxery item like a cell phone? Don't worry your entitled to one so the tax payers will buy you one and pay for it. Why not with Disney tickets? o_O

And it is being proposed that the $75 billion to fund free preschool nationwide be paid for by a .94 tax on each pack of cigarettes....WTH is that? I don't smoke, nor does anyone in my house but what does a pack of cigarettes have to do with pre school? It is just crazy where some people think entitlement should go and how everyone must be dragged into it to make it work.

Now why did you have to go and raise the subject of entitlement right after I paid a buttload of taxes last week? Making me rant like this :)

Disney is not expanding? What would you call the new Fantasy Land and Avatar Land?

Disney had record attendance last quarter from the reports in the Orlando newspapers . If Uni took 3% of their market then the market must have grown. I really don't think a lack of bodies in the park is an issue at WDW. :)

Either way both parks are great, I favor Disney more as it has more to do over a week than Uni but them competing is nothing but a win for us IMO.
No actually Disney's market share dropped.
http://micechat.com/65108-universal-orlando-update-taking-market-share-disney/

Fantasy Land has taken longer then it took to build Animal Kingdom and it's still not done yet. Out of it we are netted 1 new ride due the fact that they had to close Snow Whites Adventure.

Avatar Land? Serioulsy? Well that was announced in 2011 and it is "under construction" now. With a possible finish date of 2017.

Oh and it looks like it will only be at most 2 rides. So we MIGHT get 2 rides only one of them is an E-ticket based on a movie franchise that is just utter garbage which only took 6 years at best to make.

Honestly I won't believe it until its actually open.
Yeah that's not expanding.

Even adding Avatar land Animal kingdom is still going to be a half day park.

As for comparison in the time it takes for them to finish the Fantasy Land Expansnion Universal will have made

1. Transformers E-ticket ride
2. New Harry Potter land which is almost double the size of the new Fantasy Land expansion
3. Gringotts Bank Roller coaster E-ticket which is looking to be amazing
4. Hogwarts Express train not an e-ticket but an amazing addittion
5. The Simpsons Land with a new Spinner ride
6. Brand new themed Hotel

Oh and they are already starting working on Revamping the Jurassic Park land and oh so much more

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Expanding, yeah right, whats been closed versus whats being opened, if you are lucky Disney break even in some places, but over all the MK has far fewer attractions operating than on our first few trips. Though in Fannyboy land its all just part of the magic.

BigTxEars

Fantasy Land has taken longer then it took to build Animal Kingdom and it's still not done yet. Out of it we are netted 1 new ride due the fact that they had to close Snow Whites Adventure.

Avatar Land? Serioulsy? Well that was announced in 2011 and it is "under construction" now. With a possible finish date of 2017.

Oh and it looks like it will only be at most 2 rides. So we MIGHT get 2 rides only one of them is an E-ticket based on a movie franchise that is just utter garbage which only took 6 years at best to make.

As for comparison in the time it takes for them to finish the Fantasy Land Expansnion Universal will have made

2. New Harry Potter land which is almost double the size of the new Fantasy Land expansion

Oh and they are already starting working on Revamping the Jurassic Park land and oh so much more

I like the new additions to WDW. I am not a huge fan of the Avatar movie but I think it can be transformed into a great park addition if done correctly.

Uni removed Jaws to build, sometimes you have to remove to add, I can live with that.

I greatly enjoy Uni but regardless of what they add they will never capture the immersion and environment of WDW IMO. Uni is a great second set of parks to visit but even with the new rides it is not a weeklong set of parks, WDW is IMO. We have done both for a week and Uni was just not something we would do a week at again. WDW is a weeklong park for us. There is the value for us traveling from Texas.

We will continue to do both parks, WDW yearly and Uni mixed in every now and then.

Last edited:

Glasgow

No one said that Disney shouldn't be expanding or putting in new things ;) We all think they should be doing that, of course - you're changing the scope of the argument. The question was originally regarding cost and value, of which they can and DO charge whatever they want and people will pay it. Love it or hate it, their business model is working. Well. Very well.

Now if you want to discuss expansion .. pfft, of course Disney should be expanding (as stated by an avid fan and repeat visitor). UNI has done a great job in recent years and we threw our last vacation dollars into their bucket last year. We enjoyed visiting their two parks immensely, but that's the issue .. it's only two parks. Fine for a trip, but not enough there for repeat visitors (locals, maybe). They HAVE to expand to get the big dollars from the weeklong trips, such as Disney has already mined from families (very effectively, I might add).

Don't think that UNI has some sort of bottomless pit of cap ex dollars though. They have a business case, investors, shareholders and all sorts of people to answer to as well. They are at a different time during their development process than WDW, hence the rapid expansion. Don't lose sight that it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
There's no easy answer to that one. I think "value" like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has their price point where it becomes too expensive to do something. Prices will continue to rise, food and drink sizes will downsize - it's inevitable. For those of us who love Disney World as a vacation destination, the time between those vacations will increase, while we save up the money for the next one. Unfotunately, I think that with more time away from the parks, the more noticeble the sticker shock will be, as well as the impacts of the decreased maintenance and operating budgets. I tend to notice things that used to work but no longer do (like the Yeti at AK or the volcano at the Poly) and the buildings that are shut down and stay closed. Right now I still see a value in the Disney vacation, however if the next time I'm there, I have to wait in hour long lines for all the attractions, then the value I see will take a big hit!

thomas998

I think a "value" is paying $184/night (with AP discount) at Portofino Bay Resort (which is a nicer hotel than The Grand Flo), use my $159 AP for entrance into the parks that have new state of the art attractions. Dining at nice restaurants like The Palm without making ressies at the crack of dawn 180 days from when I want to eat there. And getting food quality that justifies the price.

Disney is really only worth the price if you have been bitten by the Disney bug.

Or those with younger kids.... I wait with anticipation until the time my youngest gets past her Winnie the Pooh stage... I'm hoping in 2 more years I can stop paying the mouse and move on to more exciting parks (which also appear to cost far less).

No one said that Disney shouldn't be expanding or putting in new things ;) We all think they should be doing that, of course - you're changing the scope of the argument. The question was originally regarding cost and value, of which they can and DO charge whatever they want and people will pay it. Love it or hate it, their business model is working. Well. Very well.

Now if you want to discuss expansion .. pfft, of course Disney should be expanding (as stated by an avid fan and repeat visitor). UNI has done a great job in recent years and we threw our last vacation dollars into their bucket last year. We enjoyed visiting their two parks immensely, but that's the issue .. it's only two parks. Fine for a trip, but not enough there for repeat visitors (locals, maybe). They HAVE to expand to get the big dollars from the weeklong trips, such as Disney has already mined from families (very effectively, I might add).

Don't think that UNI has some sort of bottomless pit of cap ex dollars though. They have a business case, investors, shareholders and all sorts of people to answer to as well. They are at a different time during their development process than WDW, hence the rapid expansion. Don't lose sight that it's not an apples to apples comparison.

No actually you changed the scope by trying to say raising the prices was just free market which its not actually. I thought someone named after the birthplace of the Free Market would know that.

Raising prices reducing staff and features all while losing market share isn't playing the free market.
Their business model is not doing well. Yes they have record profits at the moment but anyone with any business sense can tell you trading in short term profits for long term is an easy way to run yourself out of business.

The only reason they are raising prices is to try and offset the cost of the enormous bed wetting that is My Magic +

Uni is only 2 parks at the moment but they are 2 full day parks. Disney only has 1 full day park. Remember there was a time when Disneyworld itself was only 2 parks and it was still considered enough for repeat.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
oh man you are going to be shocked at the new Harry Potter land
Can I be honest? No matter how "good" Harry Potter anything is or will be, Harry Potter sucks. I can't stand the movies, the little boy, or anything about it.

Another factor in theme parks is liking the theme. If you don't enjoy the theme, nothing else really matters. I like almost everything Disney...the movies are all good to me.

I'm not saying Uni didn't do a good job with Harry Potter. I am saying they couldn't put enough lipstick on it to make me like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom