Can We Agree to Stop Complaining Disney About Prices? Let's Talk Value

I have been meaning to start a thread about this very thing for a while now. Please don't take this thread the wrong way. I know Disney can get expensive, but any trip gets expensive, which I'll discuss here. This is just a discussion about value and Disney's prices versus other vacation options.

This is in response to a recent article:
http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-...g-destinations-in-the-world.html?id=713&all=1

I made a similar post in another thread, but it bears its own discussion here.

The $99 for a one day visit to the Magic Kingdom has to be one of the most overquoted and misquoted by reporters writing about Disney, it has lost all meaning.

You'll only pay $99 if you stay one day and it's arguably STILL worth it considering you'll spend more than that on a 2 hour show in Manhattan or one activity like boating, water skiing, or an excursion at another venue. Stay longer and the cost significantly decreases.

Good fun isn't cheap and it's not just Disney charging. You get a lot less for the same or more money elsewhere. <$100 buys a lot of fun at the Magic Kingdom if you know what you're doing.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't travel. I just went to Tokyo and spent far more than $100/day for activities, NOT including food, lodging, or transportation. I've come back realizing Disney is one of the best values in vacation if you plan it correctly. There is just so much to do in one place and they've taken all the thinking out of it. Go to a major city in the US, Europe, Asia, or another exotic destination anywhere in the world. Unless you want to just stare out at the ocean the entire time (which can be fun but aint cheap either) you have to fill up the time somehow. Every little thing you do will cost money including transportation, food, tipping, hotel, etc. Oh BTW, hotels and food are a lot more expensive elsewhere in the world. I paid over $500/night in Tokyo and $40/person EASILY for any food, per meal.

I realize Tokyo is an expensive city, so I'll throw out another example. In addition to Tokyo, I went to Nepal, a third world country with beautiful scenery and many options for activities. I can tell you getting the transportation, food, gas, lodging, etc to do things in Nepal added up to easily several hundred US dollars per day. Tourism is big and every step of the way will be charged something. Want to go up the mountain to go see a temple? You have to pay a toll. Want to come back down? Toll again. Are you a US citizen? There's an upcharge for that. If you want to have fun in any city, you own every step of the way. And after each thing you complete, you have to think of the next thing to do.

The point is, Disney has a built in draw for me. Guaranteed fun and it's all right there. In many other vacation destinations, there is no "set it and forget it" like you get at Disney. You'll have fun at Disney pretty much no matter what unless you go on a overcrowded day or just have a completely negative attitude. Other places, you have to be your own travel planner and make the best of what's there. It all will cost you money too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for both kinds of trip. Relaxing at the beach can't be done at Disney. However, Disney just does a great job of guaranteeing some value for the money. You could easily go to Tokyo, spend a lot of money, and really have no fun. You have to work at it more.

So please, let's educate our friends about value and remember the alternatives. Ask them, have you priced a week vacation in the Caymans, Mexico, or even a dump like Miami Beach? And LOL at the quip the author wrote about cocktail prices at Disney. Guess how much a low end Mojito with cheap rum costs on the beach in Mexico? Over $10. It costs a lot to just sit by the ocean or go to any major city...And you'll end up having to try to make your own fun.

Disney, if anything, is way down the list of price gouging when it comes to vacation destinations.
VS inflation it's extremely expensive.

You also shouldn't use false comparisons. At least compare apples to apples.

Look at the ticket price for other theme parks. Aside from Universal (which has to keep its prices close to disney) No other theme park is charging $99.

My major problem is that they haven't done anything in the past 10 years to justifiy such an increase.

If they had added a lot of new rides then I would be ok but this is the longest period we have with the fewest new rides open.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
VS inflation it's extremely expensive.

You also shouldn't use false comparisons. At least compare apples to apples.

Look at the ticket price for other theme parks. Aside from Universal (which has to keep its prices close to disney) No other theme park is charging $99.

My major problem is that they haven't done anything in the past 10 years to justifiy such an increase.

If they had added a lot of new rides then I would be ok but this is the longest period we have with the fewest new rides open.
No other theme park is Disney.

Apples to apples is hard and it's relevant to compare other vacation options even when you're not doing the same activities. Disney doesn't only compete with other theme parks. It's about a vacation, fun, and entertainment value.

We agree on Disney, but not on Six Flags. The one in San Antonio is a heck of a value IMO. Great park and great water park attached. :)
yeah Six Flags Fiesta is an amazing park. So good it doesn't even feel like a Six Flags. needs more Dark Rides but it does have some of the best coasters anywhere.

Six Flags over Texas is also pretty good but a bit of a mess.

Still $44 for a single day and $79 for a annual pass... yeah cheaper then 1 day a disney park.

So looking at other Theme parks that have Annual Passes cheaper then 1 day at Disney we have

Knotts Berry Farm at $84
Busch Gardens Williamsburg one day a $72 and annual at $120
Dollywood 1 day at $58 and Annual at $84

So yeah..... compared to other theme parks its not even remotely close

Now if we consider Universals on the surface they seem about the same... until you add multiple ddays and park hopper and mutilpe days.

That's where Universal drops its price significantly

No other theme park is Disney.

Apples to apples is hard and it's relevant to compare other vacation options even when you're not doing the same activities. Disney doesn't only compete with other theme parks. It's about a vacation, fun, and entertainment value.
You've never been to Dollywood, Busch Gardens Willamsburg or Knotts Berryfarm then.

But by your words there comparing the price of a Disney ticket to a sports event doesn't even come close.

BigTxEars

yeah Six Flags Fiesta is an amazing park. So good it doesn't even feel like a Six Flags. needs more Dark Rides but it does have some of the best coasters anywhere.

Six Flags over Texas is also pretty good but a bit of a mess.

Still $44 for a single day and $79 for a annual pass... yeah cheaper then 1 day a disney park.

So looking at other Theme parks that have Annual Passes cheaper then 1 day at Disney we have

Knotts Berry Farm at $84
Busch Gardens Williamsburg one day a $72 and annual at $120
Dollywood 1 day at $58 and Annual at $84

So yeah..... compared to other theme parks its not even remotely close

Now if we consider Universals on the surface they seem about the same... until you add multiple ddays and park hopper and mutilpe days.

That's where Universal drops its price significantly

Man that wooden coaster at Fiesta Texas is fierce, that thing will shake you like a paint mixer :)

I really like the coaster at Sea World in San Antonio as well, the Steel Eel, that is just my size and speed.

I have not been to 6F Over Texas in decades, I really want to go back to check it out soon.

We lost Astroworld in Houston, and the Oilers as well. We suck.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think if it was only admission of $99 a day you'd hear less complaining. It is the total cost per day per family that is the sticker shock. Many are woefully unprepared for how over the top expensive a Disney Day is for a family times a week.

I was walking through the area of the FQ last week between the lobby and the pool. A man had parked his tushie down under a palm tree on the cerement planter, he was talking to his bank on the phone. He was having them move
$2500 from his savings account to his checking/debit account. He was so bewildered. We as a group are pretty in the know, too many are willfully underfunded for the additional costs of doing Disney.

I have a hard time comparing Disney to a concert or a sporting event. Neither add on a hotel, 3 meals and all the other things that go into vacationing at a theme park. Wrigley Field for the Cubs is free offsight parking with a shuttle bus, shorter commute that MK, tram, ferry/monorail. (Wrigley is in a residential neighborhood) Parking at the Allstate arena is $13 for concerts and hockey. And Soldier Field for the Chicago Bears is $11 to $19 so all that for a major city is about the same as a Disney expense.

Six Flags here in IL just over one winter built an amazing new coaster and admission is also to their huge water park full of slides. $50 day or $72 season pass 2014 and can be used at 13 different theme parks. You can buy a dining package for $75, 2 meals a day with a seasons pass valid until the end of October. Just saying I think these type of venues lend themselves to better comparisons to Disney that sports or concerts.

Man that wooden coaster at Fiesta Texas is fierce, that thing will shake you like a paint mixer :)

I really like the coaster at Sea World in San Antonio as well, the Steel Eel, that is just my size and speed.

I have not been to 6F Over Texas in decades, I really want to go back to check it out soon.

We lost Astroworld in Houston, and the Oilers as well. We suck.
oh man the Rattler? Yeah they upgraded it to be a Hybrid coaster now. It's smooth and absolutely amazing. It's now one of my top 3 coasters of all time.

copcarguyp71

I just don't see the point in all of these comparisons to anything except comparing Disney to itself. I have been going since 1977 and my point of view on value is based solely on then versus now in areas of cost as balanced against overall experience for the dollar...then and now. Without wanting to seem self important I just wanted to reiterate my previous point...

Prices have gone up...return on investment of my vacation dollar has gone down due to homogenized dining options, maintenance issues, closed down/abandoned buildings and attractions shut down water features, etc. Unrealistic rack rates and dining costs unless you buy into the DDP or take advantage of room sales. DDP now costs more since tips are not included. 180 day ADR's, constant hocking of DVC and Disney Visa. Removing EMH's. Oh man...I know the grammar is bad on this post but I am just typing things as they come to mind.

So...yes, in my mind value has dropped.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
You've never been to Dollywood, Busch Gardens Willamsburg or Knotts Berryfarm then.

But by your words there comparing the price of a Disney ticket to a sports event doesn't even come close.
I've actually been to all 3. With all due respect, no. Busch Gardens is decent, but there is no nostalgia factor or draw to return, for me and $72 isn't cheap. Six Flags over Texas is a joke...I'm sure I've been more times than you unless you live in the Dallas area...

I'm simply making entertainment my baseline of comparison. Realizing they aren't the same thing, entertainment value can be compared in that respect.

We can agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I think if it was only admission of $99 a day you'd hear less complaining. It is the total cost per day per family that is the sticker shock. Many are woefully unprepared for how over the top expensive a Disney Day is for a family times a week.

I was walking through the area of the FQ last week between the lobby and the pool. A man had parked his tushie down under a palm tree on the cerement planter, he was talking to his bank on the phone. He was having them move
$2500 from his savings account to his checking/debit account. He was so bewildered. We as a group are pretty in the know, too many are willfully underfunded for the additional costs of doing Disney.

I have a hard time comparing Disney to a concert or a sporting event. Neither add on a hotel, 3 meals and all the other things that go into vacationing at a theme park. Wrigley Field for the Cubs is free offsight parking with a shuttle bus, shorter commute that MK, tram, ferry/monorail. (Wrigley is in a residential neighborhood) Parking at the Allstate arena is $13 for concerts and hockey. And Soldier Field for the Chicago Bears is $11 to $19 so all that for a major city is about the same as a Disney expense.

Six Flags here in IL just over one winter built an amazing new coaster and admission is also to their huge water park full of slides. $50 day or $72 season pass 2014 and can be used at 13 different theme parks. You can buy a dining package for $75, 2 meals a day with a seasons pass valid until the end of October. Just saying I think these type of venues lend themselves to better comparisons to Disney that sports or concerts.
Right, but the point is that everything gets expensive when it comes to being entertained. You can certainly do worse than Disney, albeit the entertainment option might not be a theme park vacation. My point is, you feel more ripped off in every day life in an attempt to be entertained.

People have high expectations for Disney and they should, but they deliver more often than not and do so at an industry leading standard. I'll be the first to say (and have said in many threads) Disney has gotten lazier and need to step their game up in many areas. They have the wrong CEO for the theme parks at this point. He's a shareholder first CEO and he's done well for us in that respect. However, Disney is not making a gold mine on the theme park business at your expense. They are trying to increase margins and have done so, but other theme park experiences charge similar prices for a lesser (for me) experience. I realize others have different opinions but mine isn't just based on blind love for Disney. I am very critical of them but also can keep a 20,000 foot view and they do an excellent job providing value for money.

KLinder7

Tokyo Disney Resort Ticket Prices
One Day (No Park Hopping): ¥6,400 / $62.37
Two Days (No Park Hopping): ¥11,000 / $107.20
Three Days (Park Hopping on Day 3): ¥ 14,200 / $138.38
Four Days (park Hopping on Days 3 and 4): ¥16,500 / $160.80

That's value.

Interesting that they only let you "hop" on day 3 and 4.

KLinder7

Does my wallet hurt (well guess now my Magic Band) after a Disney trip yes, but I find the value in all the memories and fun I have while there. Living in NJ/NY everything is expensive so kind of use to it too. Everyone has different tastes so if you like Disney I'm sure you'll find the value in going.

Figmentation

I'Since people are tossing their opinions out.. I'll toss mine too

I've never really paid for a Disney trip. I mean, I guess the wording is bad there...

..I've never really done a solo trip/planning by myself before. I've always gone with the family, my parents did all the planning, all the paying. I just had to give them a set amount of money and then "BAM!" Disney

This May (less than 2 weeks actually) I'm going down there by myself to get away. I got a two day ticket and 4 nights at Pop. I'm going during Value Seasion 2.. so got the hotel rooms for less than 100 bucks a night. After all the paying will be done, I was more surprised about how much I'm NOT spending going during this time period.

I wanted to get a Universal day in between the disney parks. Went ahead and looked at a 1 day park hopper between Islands and Studio's with the express pass option (Cause.. you know what, considering you have to pay for the privledge to goto the front of the line, this is a great value. Not many people use it.. we've gotten it every time we goto Universal now cause it is worth the money). It's 180 bucks for a 1 day, 2 park, express pass. I think Im just going to stick with the Islands, 1 day, express pass option if I go

I'm rather happy I'm going and spending less than 600 bucks at the moment. Now I'm sure I'll see the difference when I get back home that monday, but I think the money is worth it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Right, but the point is that everything gets expensive when it comes to being entertained.

Certainly everything gets more expensive rarely does the CPI dip, indicating that the vast majority of everything becomes more expensive not limited to entertainment.

Disney admission tickets though seem to far outpace all CPI indicators and Disney is now comfortable with both raising admission prices twice in a year along with capitalizing on the MKs popularity by making that particular park more expensive to purchase a one day ticket than the other 3 parks. (Speaks to the other 3 parks quality)

Value is a totally subjective indicator with many variables. If a family of 4 spends 3- 5 hours in a queue to meet Elsa and Anna, depending on a previous or current visit guests are not getting a lot of value for the outlay. Disney on the other hand jumps for joy when guests queue up for that many hours and spend $300-$400 for their family to meet Elsa and Anna for a few fleeting moments.

If guests tour the parks like I just did, get up early, able to hit all the major attractions in a few hours catch the lesser attractions within a few more hours and are out of the park by 1pm, get some grub at less expensive venues, enjoy the amenities at resort and hit the parks again when crowds thin, then yeah one can say I reasonable amount of entertainment for the cost of admission. It becomes more difficult to argue value during the Disney High Seasons when more of the guests time is spent in queues than actually experiencing the attractions.

graphite1326

$730/night for a parking lot view at The Grand would be vastly overpriced in any city on the planet. Particularly for the quality of the hotel and staff. Throw in the price of food, particularly Table Service across the entire resort and I can easily see how people feel WDW is greatly over priced for the quality of the product.
If you can spend $730.00 a night for a room, I don't think you really care if it is a value and probably wouldn't be on this thread.

graphite1326

Totally agree. $730 for the quality and staff of the GF or $598 for the quality and staff of the CR is vastly overpriced. I'm paying for location and convenience, not value or outstanding quality in most cases. Although, I will admit, the front desk staff at the CR has gone well out of their way several times to accommodate us.

That being said, the 12 or 16 hours of entertainment you can get in a park such as MK on a one day ticket is in my opinion a good value. It is not a value everyone can afford however. I pay $95.00 a seat to watch an NHL game that has 60 minutes of playing time. Compare 60 minutes against 12 hours and WDW is a bargain.

The food prices on the other hand are not a very good value, but it's an amusement park. You're not paying for just the food. It's all cost accounting and includes, labor, insurance, maintenance, etc., etc, etc. Not a good value, but they have a captive audience and high expenses.
I've been to other parks. The food is just as high and usually isn't as good. Not to say that the fast service food is exceptional, but it's better than most parks offer.

disneyfirstLJ

I agree with what you are saying. We go to the Maine coast every summer and this year I had trouble finding a hotel room for less then $155.00 per night (we don't stay directly on the beach either). I finally found a room in a chain hotel for $118.00 per night which was more then I paid to stay at AOA in February. I thought that it was crazy as AOA is much better and has more amenities then this place! Let's face it, vacations are expensive and I would rather go back to Disney World!

Last edited:

thomas998

Everyone sees value differently. You don't find entertainment in trams and monorails, but many, including myself do. 14 (avg.) hours of rides shows, scenery, etc. are a pretty good deal compared to other venues. It depends on your desires...

You missed my point entirely. No one going to Disney is going to get 14 hours of rides and shows... and I don't consider queues to be scenery or entertainment. On a light day you might get 20 rides and given that the average ride is probably 2 minutes or less you have a whopping 40 minutes of rides... throw in two shows and you now have added 30 minutes so you've gotten and hour and 10 minutes of entertainment. I don't consider the cab ride to the Broadway show, or standing in line before I am seated to be entertainment... nor do I consider standing in line 90 minutes for Soar'n to be entertainment, the entertainment is the 2 or 3 minutes of actual ride.

thomas998

Prices have gone up...return on investment of my vacation dollar has gone down due to homogenized dining options, maintenance issues, closed down/abandoned buildings and attractions shut down water features, etc. Unrealistic rack rates and dining costs unless you buy into the DDP or take advantage of room sales. DDP now costs more since tips are not included. 180 day ADR's, constant hocking of DVC and Disney Visa. Removing EMH's. Oh man...I know the grammar is bad on this post but I am just typing things as they come to mind.

So...yes, in my mind value has dropped.
You forgot the drop in quality of merchandise. When I went to Disney as a kid in the 70's it was always special to get a cool toy because I knew it wasn't something I was going to find anywhere else except maybe an FAO Schwartz... Now I don't think its even possible to find anything other than mouse ears or some custom T-shirts that I can't find at a Wal-mart or Dollar Tree for a fraction of the price Disney is selling it for... Even goes onto the "special treats", along time ago you couldn't find Mickey Mouse ice cream bars anywhere but the park, now I can get them in my local grocery store and entire box for the price of one in the park... Those things don't scream value they scream rip-off.

Mousey21

I don't think it's cheap or expensive, when I think about how much we spent on the whole trip, getting there and staying etc, we live in England, it cost a hell of a lot, in one big lump sum, but then you go through it, what costs what, and I worked out what it cost per day in the parks and then changed it to gbp and a day at disney worked out to be £35/$58ish, that's for the days we spent there, if we went to disney more days out of the stay, which would have been very possible if we hadn't done seaworld and universal, and packed as much as we could in the holiday, it would been really good value, when I worked it out like that, it would of cost us less than a trip to the zoo near us. which for 2 adults and a child works out to be about £50/$84ish or something ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom