Can We Agree to Stop Complaining Disney About Prices? Let's Talk Value

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have been meaning to start a thread about this very thing for a while now. Please don't take this thread the wrong way. I know Disney can get expensive, but any trip gets expensive, which I'll discuss here. This is just a discussion about value and Disney's prices versus other vacation options.

This is in response to a recent article:
http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-...g-destinations-in-the-world.html?id=713&all=1

I made a similar post in another thread, but it bears its own discussion here.

The $99 for a one day visit to the Magic Kingdom has to be one of the most overquoted and misquoted by reporters writing about Disney, it has lost all meaning.

You'll only pay $99 if you stay one day and it's arguably STILL worth it considering you'll spend more than that on a 2 hour show in Manhattan or one activity like boating, water skiing, or an excursion at another venue. Stay longer and the cost significantly decreases.

Good fun isn't cheap and it's not just Disney charging. You get a lot less for the same or more money elsewhere. <$100 buys a lot of fun at the Magic Kingdom if you know what you're doing.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't travel. I just went to Tokyo and spent far more than $100/day for activities, NOT including food, lodging, or transportation. I've come back realizing Disney is one of the best values in vacation if you plan it correctly. There is just so much to do in one place and they've taken all the thinking out of it. Go to a major city in the US, Europe, Asia, or another exotic destination anywhere in the world. Unless you want to just stare out at the ocean the entire time (which can be fun but aint cheap either) you have to fill up the time somehow. Every little thing you do will cost money including transportation, food, tipping, hotel, etc. Oh BTW, hotels and food are a lot more expensive elsewhere in the world. I paid over $500/night in Tokyo and $40/person EASILY for any food, per meal.

I realize Tokyo is an expensive city, so I'll throw out another example. In addition to Tokyo, I went to Nepal, a third world country with beautiful scenery and many options for activities. I can tell you getting the transportation, food, gas, lodging, etc to do things in Nepal added up to easily several hundred US dollars per day. Tourism is big and every step of the way will be charged something. Want to go up the mountain to go see a temple? You have to pay a toll. Want to come back down? Toll again. Are you a US citizen? There's an upcharge for that. If you want to have fun in any city, you own every step of the way. And after each thing you complete, you have to think of the next thing to do.

The point is, Disney has a built in draw for me. Guaranteed fun and it's all right there. In many other vacation destinations, there is no "set it and forget it" like you get at Disney. You'll have fun at Disney pretty much no matter what unless you go on a overcrowded day or just have a completely negative attitude. Other places, you have to be your own travel planner and make the best of what's there. It all will cost you money too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for both kinds of trip. Relaxing at the beach can't be done at Disney. However, Disney just does a great job of guaranteeing some value for the money. You could easily go to Tokyo, spend a lot of money, and really have no fun. You have to work at it more.

So please, let's educate our friends about value and remember the alternatives. Ask them, have you priced a week vacation in the Caymans, Mexico, or even a dump like Miami Beach? And LOL at the quip the author wrote about cocktail prices at Disney. Guess how much a low end Mojito with cheap rum costs on the beach in Mexico? Over $10. It costs a lot to just sit by the ocean or go to any major city...And you'll end up having to try to make your own fun.

Disney, if anything, is way down the list of price gouging when it comes to vacation destinations.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

$730/night for a parking lot view at The Grand would be vastly overpriced in any city on the planet. Particularly for the quality of the hotel and staff. Throw in the price of food, particularly Table Service across the entire resort and I can easily see how people feel WDW is greatly over priced for the quality of the product.

ToTBellHop

I don't actually think the park ticket prices are unreasonable either (especially for the bulk of us who get some sort of multi-day pass). The rates at the Resort Hotels are more extreme to me (although I pay it for the benefits that I still think are valuable).

I also don't fine the food prices to be unreasonable. But I live in CT, where a Big Mac value meal will run you $7.50.

I get the impression that people who write articles like the one you quoted are not "theme park people." It's not for everyone.

Virtual Toad

$94 for lunch at LeCellier (2 adults, 2 kids, and NO adult entrees ordered)!! Drastically overpriced for food that's become extraordinarily mediocre. :( Poor value.

However, the $$$ we paid for a remarkably sub-standard Sheraton on Cocoa Beach this spring does make the price paid for lodging at WDW seem much more reasonable considering all the amenities on-property. The concept of having so many fun options for the family onsite does dramatically increase the value of a WDW vacation.

The sad fact is, EVERYTHING is becoming ridiculously expensive and wages/salaries are falling way behind. I worry for what our children will face :(

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
$730/night for a parking lot view at The Grand would be vastly overpriced in any city on the planet. Particularly for the quality of the hotel and staff. Throw in the price of food, particularly Table Service across the entire resort and I can easily see how people feel WDW is greatly over priced for the quality of the product.
Fair point, but not everything else is that far off. You are paying for location and convenience mostly and it does go for cheaper than $730 a lot of the time. The hotel doesn't hold a candle to 5 star hotels across the world, but I can argue $100/night for Pop/Music/Movies is a phenomenal value with the clean rooms, good on property location, solid food court, and free bus service. You do have to pick and choose, but Disney has such a wide variety of options, you can always find the value.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
A trip to London for the day to watch a 90 minute football match (soccer to you guys) will cost me a minimum of £120 which is about $200 so I would consider Disney to be excellent value.
Great example...sporting events. Your team loses and you just paid $100 to park and $200/ticket (Yes I live in a city where it's $100 to park to see our American Football team).

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
$94 for lunch at LeCellier (2 adults, 2 kids, and NO adult entrees ordered)!! Drastically overpriced for food that's become extraordinarily mediocre. :( Poor value.

However, the $$$ we paid for a remarkably sub-standard Sheraton on Cocoa Beach this spring does make the price paid for lodging at WDW seem much more reasonable considering all the amenities on-property. The concept of having so many fun options for the family onsite does dramatically increase the value of a WDW vacation.

The sad fact is, EVERYTHING is becoming ridiculously expensive and wages/salaries are falling way behind. I worry for what our children will face :(
I hear you. Agree on the amenities and fun options for on property resorts.

Today, <$100 for 4 at a decent restaurant is the norm. I wish Le Cellier were higher quality, but you'll pay $20/person at an Outback and get even worse quality and no experience factor. At least you can go see the American Adventure after having a marginal lunch at Le Cellier. :)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
opened-can-of-worms.jpg

Phil Porter

Odd you choose to use a football match, no theme parks in the UK?
yeah we have a few. The best one is alton towers which would cost about £40 or $67. One of the national newspapers always gives out free tickets every year so I haven't actually paid to get in for a number of years. Saying that the food and car park is quite expensive

Cesar R M

I have been meaning to start a thread about this very thing for a while now. Please don't take this thread the wrong way. I know Disney can get expensive, but any trip gets expensive, which I'll discuss here. This is just a discussion about value and Disney's prices versus other vacation options.

This is in response to a recent article:
http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-...g-destinations-in-the-world.html?id=713&all=1

I made a similar post in another thread, but it bears its own discussion here.

The $99 for a one day visit to the Magic Kingdom has to be one of the most overquoted and misquoted by reporters writing about Disney, it has lost all meaning.

You'll only pay $99 if you stay one day and it's arguably STILL worth it considering you'll spend more than that on a 2 hour show in Manhattan or one activity like boating, water skiing, or an excursion at another venue. Stay longer and the cost significantly decreases.

Good fun isn't cheap and it's not just Disney charging. You get a lot less for the same or more money elsewhere. <$100 buys a lot of fun at the Magic Kingdom if you know what you're doing.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't travel. I just went to Tokyo and spent far more than $100/day for activities, NOT including food, lodging, or transportation. I've come back realizing Disney is one of the best values in vacation if you plan it correctly. There is just so much to do in one place and they've taken all the thinking out of it. Go to a major city in the US, Europe, Asia, or another exotic destination anywhere in the world. Unless you want to just stare out at the ocean the entire time (which can be fun but aint cheap either) you have to fill up the time somehow. Every little thing you do will cost money including transportation, food, tipping, hotel, etc. Oh BTW, hotels and food are a lot more expensive elsewhere in the world. I paid over $500/night in Tokyo and $40/person EASILY for any food, per meal.

I realize Tokyo is an expensive city, so I'll throw out another example. In addition to Tokyo, I went to Nepal, a third world country with beautiful scenery and many options for activities. I can tell you getting the transportation, food, gas, lodging, etc to do things in Nepal added up to easily several hundred US dollars per day. Tourism is big and every step of the way will be charged something. Want to go up the mountain to go see a temple? You have to pay a toll. Want to come back down? Toll again. Are you a US citizen? There's an upcharge for that. If you want to have fun in any city, you own every step of the way. And after each thing you complete, you have to think of the next thing to do.

The point is, Disney has a built in draw for me. Guaranteed fun and it's all right there. In many other vacation destinations, there is no "set it and forget it" like you get at Disney. You'll have fun at Disney pretty much no matter what unless you go on a overcrowded day or just have a completely negative attitude. Other places, you have to be your own travel planner and make the best of what's there. It all will cost you money too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for both kinds of trip. Relaxing at the beach can't be done at Disney. However, Disney just does a great job of guaranteeing some value for the money. You could easily go to Tokyo, spend a lot of money, and really have no fun. You have to work at it more.

So please, let's educate our friends about value and remember the alternatives. Ask them, have you priced a week vacation in the Caymans, Mexico, or even a dump like Miami Beach? And LOL at the quip the author wrote about cocktail prices at Disney. Guess how much a low end Mojito with cheap rum costs on the beach in Mexico? Over $10. It costs a lot to just sit by the ocean or go to any major city...And you'll end up having to try to make your own fun.

Disney, if anything, is way down the list of price gouging when it comes to vacation destinations.

eeeh, my only retort about your comparisons to a boat trip or something like that..
is privacy. Id say boating and skiing..etc.. are more "personal" and have "less lines(or wait time)" than Disney.

But then Disney as a huge variety of things to do in each park while the others are focused things in very particular activities.

rob0519

Totally agree. $730 for the quality and staff of the GF or $598 for the quality and staff of the CR is vastly overpriced. I'm paying for location and convenience, not value or outstanding quality in most cases. Although, I will admit, the front desk staff at the CR has gone well out of their way several times to accommodate us.

That being said, the 12 or 16 hours of entertainment you can get in a park such as MK on a one day ticket is in my opinion a good value. It is not a value everyone can afford however. I pay $95.00 a seat to watch an NHL game that has 60 minutes of playing time. Compare 60 minutes against 12 hours and WDW is a bargain.

The food prices on the other hand are not a very good value, but it's an amusement park. You're not paying for just the food. It's all cost accounting and includes, labor, insurance, maintenance, etc., etc, etc. Not a good value, but they have a captive audience and high expenses.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The reality is we pay what it takes to do things we as individuals like, and how great a percentage of our income we spend is a personal choice. But lets be honest much of that, regardless of what "it " is can't be classed as value.

Californian Elitist

I don't see how one can compare going to a theme park to traveling to different countries. I value traveling around the world and gaining culture, history and natural history over going to any theme park, not just Disney.

Disney is overpriced. No ifs ands or buts about it. By the time I have kids, I most likely won't be able to take them to Disneyland. That's okay, I'm going to try and travel with my future children, something my parents never did with me and my siblings. I had some money to contribute to a DL AP, but I decided to save it for a New York trip I had taken last December. I'm very glad I did that.

I'm going to NorCal to see the Redwoods, hopefully Yosemite and hopefully San Francisco. I haven't been this excited for my birthday in a long time, including the times I was going to the DLR for my birthday.

harryk

[/QUOTE]
I have relaxed on the beach at WL and GF many times - so it can be done. I've seen guests 'relaxing on the beach' at many of the resorts around property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom