Can they make a ride without screens?

Sorry I don't believe the only way to do an attraction is with 3d......I don't believe it and I know theirs another option/idea out their that we haven't seen yet. Sooner or later screens will get old by like 2040. Ditch the 3d glasses and screens a new idea will come up and those who loved 3d projected screens based rides will soon start complaining about the newer attraction that universal creative came up with. I'M SURE THIS ATTRACTION WON'T LAST LONG IF THE LINES START TO DECREASE ALOT. 6 3d attractions at Universal Orlando and counting, F&F supercharged Florida version might of gotten delayed till 2018 for a reason, eliminating some of the 3d.

Disneyhead'71

Sorry I don't believe the only way to do an attraction is with 3d......I don't believe it and I know theirs another option/idea out their that we haven't seen yet. Sooner or later screens will get old by like 2040. Ditch the 3d glasses and screens a new idea will come up and those who loved 3d projected screens based rides will soon start complaining about the newer attraction that universal creative came up with. I'M SURE THIS ATTRACTION WON'T LAST LONG IF THE LINES START TO DECREASE ALOT. 6 3d attractions at Universal Orlando and counting, F&F supercharged Florida version might of gotten delayed till 2018 for a reason, eliminating some of the 3d.
Nope, RV communication issues.

lifeguard1020

Just chiming in here...
Its not so much that I dislike how every Universal ride is "changing to screens" necessarily. I'm more upset that they had to remove attractions that were only practical sets and effects to get to where we are. (BTTF being the only real exception)

squidward

I'm concerned about the use of screens. A simulator like Minions or Simpsons is OK. Transformers, as much as I hate the movie, is OK too. I'm not impressed with the screen use at Kong or Gringotts. Quite frankly, I think Universal is a bit stuck right now. They've only got 3 honest to goodness coasters in both parks. There's literally just 1 dark ride. I really think they need to expand on both of these.

Jwhee

I'm concerned about the use of screens. A simulator like Minions or Simpsons is OK. Transformers, as much as I hate the movie, is OK too. I'm not impressed with the screen use at Kong or Gringotts. Quite frankly, I think Universal is a bit stuck right now. They've only got 3 honest to goodness coasters in both parks. There's literally just 1 dark ride. I really think they need to expand on both of these.

Don't know where you're seeing 1 dark ride...?

ET
CITH
MIB
Mummy
Kong (most definitely a dark ride)
HpFj
Spider-Man
Suess Trolley
Transformers (on the edge... Basically all screens unlike Spider-Man)

squidward

Don't know where you're seeing 1 dark ride...?

ET
CITH
MIB
Mummy
Kong (most definitely a dark ride)
HpFj
Spider-Man
Suess Trolley
Transformers (on the edge... Basically all screens unlike Spider-Man)

ET - Forgot about that one.

The rest I don't consider dark rides in the typical sense. Just because a ride takes place in the dark, doesn't mean it's a dark ride. If that was the case then Rock n Roller Coaster would be considered a dark ride. That would be considered a dark coaster. When I think of dark rides, I think of Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh, Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, etc.

A dark ride or ghost train is an indoor amusement ride on which riders in guided vehicles travel through specially lit scenes that typically contain animation, sound, music, and special effects.

Last edited:

JT3000

ET - Forgot about that one.

The rest I don't consider dark rides in the typical sense. Just because a ride takes place in the dark, doesn't mean it's a dark ride. If that was the case then Rock n Roller Coaster would be considered a dark ride. That would be considered a dark coaster. When I think of dark rides, I think of Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh, Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, etc.

A dark ride or ghost train is an indoor amusement ride on which riders in guided vehicles travel through specially lit scenes that typically contain animation, sound, music, and special effects.

Besides the simple fact that any industry expert will tell you these are dark rides, nearly all of the rides Jwhee listed, with the lone exception of the Seuss Trolley, fit the entire definition you just posted. So... yeah...

An indoor roller coaster can also be categorized as a dark ride, but not because it merely takes place in the dark. It depends on whether it's a proper hybrid with actual scenes (Mummy) or just a coaster with some dark ride elements (RNRC.)

Last edited:

squidward

I think it's personal opinion. I think of a traditional dark ride as the ones I mentioned. I love Spider-Man, but find it way too technically advanced to be a dark ride in the traditional sense. I don't consider Star Tours a dark ride. I consider it a simulator. Spaceship Earth is a dark ride to me. Uses a track. Uses black lighting. Uses animatronics. The biggest part for me is it being a slow moving ride, one that young kids will enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I love all the rides you mentioned. I would just like to see more rides like ET and Cat in the Hat.

Tom Morrow

It's not personal opinion though. A dark ride is any ride that has enclosed show scenes with theatrical lighting and sets that you physically move through. It does not have to mean "old school and slow moving". As technology advances, more and more types of rides are using dark ride elements and are hybrid rides.

Also by your definition, Dinosaur would not qualify as a dark ride, but it most definitely is one.

JT3000

I think it's personal opinion. I think of a traditional dark ride as the ones I mentioned. I love Spider-Man, but find it way too technically advanced to be a dark ride in the traditional sense. I don't consider Star Tours a dark ride. I consider it a simulator. Spaceship Earth is a dark ride to me. Uses a track. Uses black lighting. Uses animatronics. The biggest part for me is it being a slow moving ride, one that young kids will enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I love all the rides you mentioned. I would just like to see more rides like ET and Cat in the Hat.

Most of Universal's dark rides are less traditional than those found at other parks mainly because they're newer, but also because aiming for a different demographic allows them more wiggle room to innovate. However, if you're looking specifically for a more traditional (and tamer) dark ride experience, you should be happy about the box office numbers for The Secret Life of Pets.

Last edited:
I must say one thing about the new skull island reign of kong...you know we could've waited until Kong-Skull Island done by Warner Brothers is released next year. 2005 was a awhile ago...so I think universal orlando could've taken advantage and create a whole new experience based on kong about the 2017 film..to keep it new and fresh! I've seen the trailer it looks awesome and kong looks as mean as ever! That's how he should've been portrayed as the AA in reign of kong not nice kong we don't want nice kong. He's standing up straight and is 100 feet tall....that would scare guests at Universal I bet if this attraction based on the new film was ever built...it would be more terrifying than this 3d clone piece of crap they just built. Here's one who hasn't even ridden the ride yet just seeing it on YouTube. But I shouldn't have to go ride this to change my mind and say oh this was incredible. Universal has failed to deliver a really promising kong attraction. Time to start hating on this attraction. Universal orlando and the world of screens that what they need to rename their resort too. I.might start a petition and sent it to universal even if it is denied I don't care. You guys obviously don't know what a great theme park attraction is....this is laughable. Compared to KONGFRONTATION and jaws where they are actually using physical sets and no 3d, it's not played out but to universal it is. I know I'm not the only one getting tired of 3d screen attractions. Amazing doesn't exist in this ride.

JT3000

I must say one thing about the new skull island reign of kong...you know we could've waited until Kong-Skull Island done by Warner Brothers is released next year.

Why would Universal do a ride based on an unreleased Warner Bros. film when they can do a ride based on a well known Universal film? There's no telling if Skull Island will even be a success. It could bomb, either commercially, critically, or both. Then what?

At least WB have one thing going for them -- unlike with rides, most people have enough sense to not trash a movie without even having seen it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom