Can I Visit A WDW Resort I'm Not Staying At?

TomorrowlandKD

Original Poster
I wanted to take my GF to lunch at the Polynesian one day and then I figured since we're in there we could jump on the monorail in there and just go directly to the MK afterwards so I don't have to go through the whole driving to the TTC, etc.

Does security let people not staying at the resort go to the Polynesian if you're gonna have lunch, etc.?

real mad hatter

I wanted to take my GF to lunch at the Polynesian one day and then I figured since we're in there we could jump on the monorail in there and just go directly to the MK afterwards so I don't have to go through the whole driving to the TTC, etc.

Does security let people not staying at the resort go to the Polynesian if you're gonna have lunch, etc.?
Yes..You can visit any resort to either eat or just look around..

ImagineerDude

Totally! Just tell them you are eating there, they will ask for your drivers liscense (they don't do anything except look at it for 3 seconds), and they should let you right in. :)

*EDIT: Make an ADR if possible! Once we parked at the Contemp to get to MK's opening on time (my dad moved the car and paid later, I just wanted to see the show) and they asked if we had breakfast ressies, thinking they'd deny us entry if we said no, we said yes, but they didn't even check for a confirmation number or anything. We "went to Chef Mickey's" about six times on that trip lol :)

pluto13

You can go to any resort of your choice without any security prevention. You can definitely go to the Poly for lunch or just to check out the resort.

jkl2000

*EDIT: Make an ADR if possible! Once we parked at the Contemp to get to MK's opening on time (my dad moved the car and paid later, I just wanted to see the show) and they asked if we had breakfast ressies, thinking they'd deny us entry if we said no, we said yes, but they didn't even check for a confirmation number or anything. We "went to Chef Mickey's" about six times on that trip lol :)

Why would they not let someone into the resort? Is this true? You could easily have been meeting other guests who WERE staying at the resort. Do they really ever ask people for ID before entering one of the monorail resorts? I just don't really understand why.

ImagineerDude

Why would they not let someone into the resort? Is this true? You could easily have been meeting other guests who WERE staying at the resort. Do they really ever ask people for ID before entering one of the monorail resorts? I just don't really understand why.
I don't understand WHY but they do. It's because of how close it is to MK and they are afraid people will not pay the $15 to park at the TTC. They especially do this in peak seasons

slappy magoo

The issue tends to be people who are looking to beat paying for parking in a theme park parking lot by going to the parking lot of a nearby hotel, saying "we're eating at (insert restaurant name here)," parking for free and then, whether they eat at that restaurant or not, go to the theme park from there instead.

This is especially true at the monorail hotels, where parking is not only free but often closer to the parks than paying to park at the TTC, especially if you're getting there a few hours after park opening.

They don't tend to hassle you about it if you're staying in a WDW resort, since it would be free for you to park in a theme park's lot anyway. They're supposedly less lenient if a: you're staying offsite or b: it's an exceptionally busy time of year where parking spots for guests of that hotel are scarce enough without people trying to game the system.

Sometimes the guards will say you're allowed to park for three hours, figuring that's enough time to eat and look around. They do have the right to tow your vehicle if you're not supposed to be parked there. Will they? I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on the boards here who will tell you to not worry about it, but it would certainly stink if you become "That Guy." The example that proves they're willing to do it.

The other option I suppose would be to valet park at a deluxe resort. It's only a buck more than a theme park's lot (plus tips unless you're a yutz), it's good for 24 hours AND it's good for 24 hours in ANY deluxe resort's lot. Breakfast at Poly's Ohanas and dinner at AKL's Boma? You don't have to pay for valet twice, just show them the receipt from Poly.

Soarin2u

You can go any resort with no issue. My family loves to visit other resorts such as the AKL, WL, BW etc. Parking may be only issue as others said. I wouldn't worry. If you don't make a ruckus, or attempt to sneak into a bedroom for the night, you are good to go! :D

Skibum1970

I basically tell security that I'm there to shop and look around. I've never been harassed but I also typically have done this in the evening (no worries about bypassing parking costs). I love visiting the different resorts.

jayhawkmickey

We always eat around the world. Chef Mickey's, Ohana, 1800 Park Fare, Beaches and Cream, Cape May Café, etc. Never had anyone ask us anything about being out of our resort at POR or POP. It's a nice way to see all of what WDW has to offer. Now, we have always arrived by bus or monorail so I can't speak as to parking, but it's always been great for my wife and I. Next trip we'll be branching out to more places.

StarWarsGirl

We've had friends who meet us at the resort. All they've ever had to do is say they're meeting up with us, give our last name, and they go straight in. In peak seasons, they double check our reservation, but of course, it's always there. We've had friends park there, meet us, and walk to the resort or use bus transportation to get to the parks. We also once used our room key to give them free parking at Animal Kingdom. They came and got us and all we had to say is they drove us for the day and we got free parking. Of course, we get free parking either way because we're premium annual passholders, but anyway. If you're a DVC member, you can show your card and say you're going swimming. Then park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom