Can I match the Magic?

hbrady77

Last year I took my family (kids 4,7) to Disney, we did a 4 day park hopper and stayed on the 12th floor of the contemporary, it was AWESOME!

I want to take them again in February BUT we are doing 8 nights with a 6 day pass, the contemporary tower club would put me in the poor house! I've heard good things about the Port Orleans Riverside but I'm thinking my kids will be "disappointed" after the stay we had last year. Are there fun things around that hotel so my kids will still feel "The Magic"?

-HB

Nicole

I haven't stayed at POR but have heard good things too. Go to AllEarsNet.com and look at their resort photos. The pools at nearly all the other resorts look a lot more fun than the Contemporary's. You'll still get the Disney soaps, the Mickey wake up call, and of course the Disney resort tv channels.

I think as long as you are on-site your kids (and YOU) will feel the magic!!

Upvote 0

barnum42

A second vote for you to check out Allears Net for hotel info.

I've never stayed onsite so I can't help you with personal experience, but as I kid I would have stayed in a tent for the chance to visit Disneyworld. :D

Upvote 0
I am no travel agent, so I think you can check with Pam of Kingdom Konsultants(a sponsor of this website) and she may be able to give you some good advice and save you some cash and still get you into the CR.

I did a quick price check on the official WDW site and the difference between concierge and a garden view rooms is over $1000 for room only rack rate. So if that becomes more manageable for you.......

It will be hard to beat CR for its' convenience to the Magic Kingdom and overall recreation offerings. If you narrow down what your kids loved about CR that may help you in deciding if other resorts(moderates) can meet those needs. You may also check out the Wilderness Lodge. It still has marina access to Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. It has boat access to the MK. The pool area is nice. It is close to more activities at the Fort Wilderness area. AND it is about 1400 cheaper(room only) than CR concierge.

Hope that steers you in a good direction.

Upvote 0

shari71

I have stayed at POR several times and we are going again in Oct. They have a several pools with the main one on Old Man Island. I read somewhere that they put in a geiser. You can also use POFQ's pool which has a dragon slide that kids love. POR also has a boat ride to DTD starting at 4:00 I believe. Very fun!. You can also rent quite a few things like fishing gear, bikes, boats, etc. There is an arcade in the main building and a food court that is wonderful!!!

We have a 1 and 4 year old. We have taken the 4 year old twice here but this will be our 1 year olds first trip, so we are hoping for a building close to the food court.

Depending how much you like to walk will determine what building you want to request. Water view means pool or the water ways...we got caught on that one one year.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
POR is my favorite resort I've ever been to. It is very relaxing, and not a bad location. The boat ride to Downtown Disney is very nice as well. On property, I've stated at the Poly, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Yacht and Beach, POR and POFQ, and POR is just the best out of them. The Poly is a little nicer, yes, but not worth the extra cost over POR. The time spent in a room just didn't cut it for the huge increase in cost. I'm always doing other things when I'm in WDW, the only thing I do in the room is sleep, so moderates suit me better than deluxes.

You can always eat at the California Grill if you are missing the Contemp, but if you've only stayed at WDW once, you should try a different resort for your second trip. And with the young kids, the pool and play area at POR is awesome.

Just my opinions though, make up your own mind. :)

Upvote 0

hbrady77

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone. I think my kids loved the following about the contemporary:

The Krispy Cream Donuts every morning (we can get them in Maine)
The Pool
Watching Cinderella's Castle (lights and fireworks every night)
The Monorail
The boat parade
Looking over the railing down at Chef Mickey's and all the "activity"

They may not be too disappointed with POR but I think I may be :) I stayed at CR several times as a kid and I fell in love with it...... I guess that place brings me back to my childhood so I'm a little bias :) I guess I'll get in touch with Pam!

Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Most of the things you mention are pretty special to Contemp. only (Chef Mickeys, Monorail inside, etc). But if the price makes you faint to look at, just think of all the cool "new" things you could fall in love with at a different resort.
Barnum42 was right, except I always say "I would sleep every night on a picket fence, just to go to Disney" hmmm....a tent might be better..lol.
Bottom line: hotels are for sleeping, parks are for fun. I think you'll be fine wherever you stay. The disney magic will still be there!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom