Can gift cards be used in Paris?

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
I just got news that we will be going to Germany in June for DH's job and we are going to try to make it over to DLP!!! First trip overseas. :sohappy:

I was thinking of picking up some Gift Cards at Sam's Club to help pay for park tickets, but don't know if they're valid outside of the US. Anyone know?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I doubt it. Currency exchange at point of sale would be too much hassle. I know we couldn't buy Disney Dollars here in Canada for that reason. :shrug:

RonAnnArbor

You CAN NOT use American Disney gift cards overseas at Disneyland Paris, neither for park admission, nor within the parks.

They are only valid in the US at Disney Stores, Disney Parks, and Disney owned shops (i.e. Downtown Disney).

Disneyland Paris has their own stand-alone financing, and their own website. You can buy advance sale tickets on their website. That way you can pay for them NOW in American Dollars and have them in your pocket already, thus avoiding the lines at the park (and there WILL be lines at the park in June)...

You can also buy advance tickets at the Disney Store on the Champs de elysee.

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch. Looks like using my Sam's credit card is out then. Thanks for the tips. I don't know anything really about DLP.

I didn't know there was a Disney Store on the Champs-Elysees! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Any idea how bad the crowds will be, either on the weekend of June 10th or 17th? We'll probably only have one day to spend unfortunately. I know August is a big vacation month for Europe. How is June?

Bolna

Unfortunately I think that weekends are always very crowded, even in the off season. When we were there in March it was very busy on the Sunday.

French school holidays won't start until July I think. And other European countries should start school holidays mid/late June at the earliest. If it is possible in any way, I would very much recommend to visit on a weekday to avoid crowds.

A good source for info is www.dlrpmagic.com. And I think park hours for the first half of June are already on the official website.

Have a great trip! :)

RonAnnArbor

Weekends are very full at DLP year round.

Beware -- French schools do not have classes on Wednesdays, so if you go during the week while school is still in session in June, do not go on a Wednesday for the lightest crowds.

The lightest crowds by far are on Mondays and Tuesdays.

DLP has become the number one European tourist attraction in numbers of visitors per day. This number swells on weekends, no matter what the weather, year round.

Some things to keep in mind -- a "busy" weekend in June will be a lot like a day rated an 8 or 9 at Walt Disney World...and the lines work much differently -- Europeans don't queau quietly and pleasantly -- it's more of a funnel effect -- in fact, some of them don't "get" the americanized Disney line system and you will get crowding around the line entrances, and a lot of horseplay back and forth between the lines as they pass each other. There are also a lot of smokers in line. Telling them to put them out will get you nowhere. Just ignore it and hold your breath until you have passed by them.

Use the fastpasses whenever possible -- and for the major attractions you will HAVE to use the fastpasses.....Things like Crushes Coaster can easily run up to 120 minutes wait (it does not have fast passes)...it is routinely at 45 - 70 minutes on NON peak days...

The times listed for waits are more accurate than those in the American parks...sometimes at WDW when it says 20 minutes, the wait is actually 5 minutes. At DLP the queu lines can wrap around themselves several times, and when it says Space Mountain 70 minute wait, it IS a 70 minute wait, even though the line might look very short outside. It weaves around, up and down, and back around inside the building.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to ride the train, you need to board it at the Main Street station, not in it's Fantasyland stop. Europeans see the train as a "ride" and not as transportation. If you wait at the back train station thinking you will save the walk and take it back to the front of the park, you will be out of luck when nobody departs the very crowded train and you wait for the next one. Similarly, the Paddlewheel -- it's seen as a major ride and more people crowd on to ride it than they do in the US parks where it is seen as a time-filler.

But don't be afraid of going even on a busy day. The parks have a lot to see -- there are plenty of quiet places to sit and reflect, grab lunch, watch the crowds. If you don't get on a ride you don't get on the ride. Two absolutely not to miss are Phantom Manor and Pirates of the Carribean -- they are much much better at DLP than in the US parks and the lines are manageable, even on crowded days. Space Mountain is very different from the US version -- it is a full-fledged inversion/corkscrew coaster, not the mini-coaster found inside the US version. That means, if your young ones are not ready for a coaster in the dark that flips upside down, then it's not a ride for them. It's similar to Rock'N Roller Coaster in that matter.

Another thing to keep in mind -- Europeans, for the most part, start at one place (either To the right, or to the left) and then proceed around the park, doing each attraction in order. Americans tend to cut back and forth across the park and use a similar strategy as that in the US parks -- the same general strategy works in DLP as well.

One final caveat: DLP now has EMH hours every single morning -- that means when the park opens to the general public, that the line queus can often already be filled with DLP's resort guests, especially for the major attractions.

On an off-peak day, it is possible to do both parks and ride every attraction, including minor ones and a few repeats and even include a show or two, by 4:00 pm. On a peak day, you'll be lucky to cover half the attractions in one single park by the end of the day. To that end, Disney has achieved what is has wanted to do -- keep you returning a second day for the other park rather than doing both of them in one day and running out of things to do.

mgf

On an off-peak day, it is possible to do both parks and ride every attraction, including minor ones and a few repeats and even include a show or two, by 4:00 pm. On a peak day, you'll be lucky to cover half the attractions in one single park by the end of the day. To that end, Disney has achieved what is has wanted to do -- keep you returning a second day for the other park rather than doing both of them in one day and running out of things to do.

Great advice in general. We are planning our first trip and I think you addressed all of my questions. On the above point, how feasible is this really in say a non-peak day in June? I do not want to sell the parks short but I only have one day. In general, my priority is to experience the rides/attractions not represented in WDW then double back for the others. Would you hit Studios first?

-Mitchell

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all those tips Ron. Interesting the differences between US and France. We'll have to see if we can re-work the schedule so that maybe we could go on a Monday. Otherwise, I'll just compare it to going at Christmas - enjoy the atmosphere but set very low expectations of the number of attractions we'll see.

I've read other places the same thing you said about the queues. This may set my DH off in a really bad way, he is big on line etiquette and gets pretty bent about it. He gets soo frustrated with the tour groups in July. I guess there is alcohol in the MK there, maybe I'll have to start his day off with some bloody Mary's, lol!

RonAnnArbor

To both the above posters --

Certainly try for a weekday, not a weekend....

Is it feasible to get most things done on a June non-peak day -- yes.

DO NOT start with the studios. Disneyland Paris is by far the most beautiful of all of the Magic Kingdom type parks -- start there.

Disney Studios Paris is a half-day park. There are very few attractions compared to DHS in WDW. Go there second. People who go there first will be leaving that park by 2:00.

Much of what they have at the Studios is a direct copy of things in the US parks (Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, Lights Motors Action, Tram Tour -- it has better sets, though) -- there are a few unique items...Crushes' Coaster; Armageddon Special Effects show (lame, but worth seeing); Cinemagique and Animagique shows (See Cinemagique if you run out of time -- Animagique is cute, but basically a character show - cinemagique mixes live action with film in something truly unique).

Similarly, there is plenty you can skip in Disneyland Paris park that is an exact copy -- Honey I Shrunk the Audience (or Captain EO at present), Star Tours, It's a Small World, etc. But there is a lot that is very unique to DLP and worth seeing. It's a gorgeous park. Rides are longer, and more modern. They use different ride loading systems, etc.

Note the hours of opening for your visit day. The hours are much shorter than in the Florida parks and there are no evening EMH's.

As to the lines, you have no choice. Your in Europe, act like Europeans. Don't try to be polite and let people go ahead of you. That isn't the custom. You cram into line to get ahead of others, not be helpful to others, otherwise you will never get on! That is not a French or Italian norm -- YOU come first, you get in line.

The same thing will be true all over Paris while you are there -- and will also apply at the airport. Getting onto your plane will be a particular challenge -- people just cram into funnel's and try to get onto the plane in front of everyone else, just creating a big mob and frustrating wait if you let them all jam in front of you. Think European and be proactive --

That also applies in lines like Rock N Roller Coaster -- if you try to be polite and stand back and let a family pass from the preshow room into the loading dock line EVERY SINGLE person in that room will cram past you and you will be in the back of the line. That is the European way. Familes don't come first -- YOU come first. Just jam ahead with everyone else. You can re-unite yourself as you are walking in the queu line.

Don't let French customs dictate your enjoyment of the park. There are plenty of people coming back from DLP saying they "didn't feel the magic" -- well, that means they also didn't understand the French customs either. Politeness toward groups, allowing others to go ahead of you, saying hello to strangers, not smoking etc. are NOT French norms, they are American norms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom