Camping in my car at the Fort

got2lovedisney

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Has anyone done this? I've been wanting to check out the tent camping at the Fort so I booked a 1 night stay for next Thursday, a day before the rest of the family arrives and we move to a hotel. My BF can't make it so I'll be a solo female. I don't want to hassle with setting up a tent so I figured I'd just sleep in the car. Did that for a race a few weeks ago and it wasn't too uncomfortable. Thoughts?

slappy magoo

Has anyone done this? I've been wanting to check out the tent camping at the Fort so I booked a 1 night stay for next Thursday, a day before the rest of the family arrives and we move to a hotel. My BF can't make it so I'll be a solo female. I don't want to hassle with setting up a tent so I figured I'd just sleep in the car. Did that for a race a few weeks ago and it wasn't too uncomfortable. Thoughts?
You want to check out what it's like to camp in a tent...without the tent?

If you go to this old post ( http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fort-wilderness-no-tent-no-car.361841/ ) there is talk about the ability to rent a tent from FW, it comes with cots and they even set up and take down for you. Looks like between the cost of the campsite, and the cost of the tent rental, it'll be about $115 plus tax.

My guess would be that sleeping in your car would be considered a no-no mainly because of the heat and humidity. This time of year, maybe not as much of an issue, but can you imagine the lawsuits that would ensue if someone fell asleep in their car, maybe with the windows rolled up, in the summer months? Especially if they slept late and the sun came up and started roasting them? But rather than say it's OK to do it certain months of the year, they just wouldn't allow it. Plus it would probably encourage people who didn't want to camp but also didn't want to spring for a room from living out of their cars for a trip.

Maybe you know someone who owns a pop-up tent? The tents that are no fuss, unzip and boom, they're up and you just peg 'em down? Amazon has them starting at $35 (renting them from Disney would be $30 but they'd include cots).

For about the same price as staying at Fort Wilderness in a rented tent, you could get a room at the Buena Vista Suites near Disney Springs, and it'd include a free hot breakfast. For LESS money than just the campsite, you can get a room at the Lake Buena Vista Holiday Inn if you use the Mousesavers link here http://www.mousesavers.com/holiday-inn-resort-lake-buena-vista/ King sized room start at $71 a night. My suggestion? Book the Holiday Inn, drive over to Fort Wilderness, explore to your heart's content, stick around for the campfire and movie, then drive to the Holiday Inn, take a shower, go to bed, wake up the next morning, if you can get reservations for Trails' End buffet, go for it. The only thing you'll be missing is the experience of getting a few dozen mosquito bites as you keep going back and forth between sleeping with the windows rolled up or down, and that's assuming you'd be allowed to sleep in your car. Which I wouldn't assume. Or assuming you do it despite being verboten and not getting caught.

Skibum1970

I really don't think that they allow it. I have camped in a tent at a lot of campgrounds and they all seem to forbid it. Never completely understood as it isn't much different. Maybe they don't want people passing away by heat exhaustion. Still, the cost, as mentioned above, is $52/night and an offsite hotel wouldn't be much more. Even the value resorts aren't terribly more expensive. Plus, it would be safer for a single female (not that I think anything bad would happen). I stayed at the campgrounds in a tent. It was fun but it was quite warm. That was 16 years ago and today I would stay in a hotel.

slappy magoo

Still, the cost, as mentioned above, is $52/night and an offsite hotel wouldn't be much more.

I went on Disney's website. Unless there are discounts, a single night at a basic campsite next Thursday would be $75, plus an extra $30 if you wanted to rent one of their tent/3-cot combos, and resort tax and all that. Seems like all the value resorts might be booked solid that day.

There are A LOT of offsite hotels someone could book for $105, plus tax. Looking at travelocity now, Wyndham Gardens in the Disney Springs area starts at $89. LBV Radisson starts at 114, just a little more. Delta by Marriott is $100. LBV Comfort Inn is $89. LBV Courtyard, also $89. Some better prices if you cross over to the West side of WDW property.

Skibum1970

I went on Disney's website. Unless there are discounts, a single night at a basic campsite next Thursday would be $75, plus an extra $30 if you wanted to rent one of their tent/3-cot combos, and resort tax and all that. Seems like all the value resorts might be booked solid that day.

There are A LOT of offsite hotels someone could book for $105, plus tax. Looking at travelocity now, Wyndham Gardens in the Disney Springs area starts at $89. LBV Radisson starts at 114, just a little more. Delta by Marriott is $100. LBV Comfort Inn is $89. LBV Courtyard, also $89. Some better prices if you cross over to the West side of WDW property.

Those scoundrels. I looked it up but they were showing $52/night. I didn't look at the calendar where it shows the higher rate. You're right on that and about the hotels. Again, I would pay the extra and have all the benefits of a nice, air conditioned hotel room. Sadly, various parts of my body (ie Back, Head, Shoulders) would complain loud and long the next day if I didn't.

got2lovedisney

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
@slappy magoo I have a tent, don't want to bother with setting it up. A tent is just an enclosure to sleep in, same as my car. In my mind, it's not much different that a conversion van or a vanagon. The weather shows a low of 62 that night so heat and humidity shouldn't be an issue plus I'm bringing a fan.

This one night stay is like a scouting mission for me...interested in checking out the amenities (site size, comfort stations, campfire sing-along, buses) so I can go back to the family with pros-cons.

Weather_Lady

Just call the campground and double-check their policies. If sleeping in your vehicle is not permitted, I'd do what some others suggested -- set up a simple tent for the look of it (perhaps actually trying to sleep in it -- it will give you details about noise levels, etc., that will help in your scouting mission!), and then sleep in your car if that's what you prefer to do. Just crack some windows for ventilation. I've done that several times (not at WDW, but at other campgrounds) when my DH's snoring drove me out of our tent, and no one has ever challenged it.

...FWIW, if your tent is a hassle to assemble, and you camp often enough that you don't mind shelling out $50 for a new one, this kinds takes seconds to "assemble" -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=170CM7FVV9G5RF51XDZR

slappy magoo

@slappy magoo I have a tent, don't want to bother with setting it up. A tent is just an enclosure to sleep in, same as my car. In my mind, it's not much different that a conversion van or a vanagon. The weather shows a low of 62 that night so heat and humidity shouldn't be an issue plus I'm bringing a fan.

This one night stay is like a scouting mission for me...interested in checking out the amenities (site size, comfort stations, campfire sing-along, buses) so I can go back to the family with pros-cons.
I understand the logic behind your request, just trying to assume what their reasons would be for denying such a request.
aaaaaaaand we all know what happens when you assume.
I took the liberty of asking the question direct from an online Disney agent. I wouldn't take it as a firm contract but you'll probably like the news. Here is a copy of the conversation:

Welcome to Disney! My name is Cassandra. How may I help you today?

you: Hi Cassandra, one quick question and I swear, I really am "asking for a friend." When it comes to the campsites (not cabins) at Fort Wilderness, is there a policy allowing (or not allowing) people who prefer to sleep in their car? If you get there too late to pitch a tent and you have no camper or RV, is sleeping the car allowed? I'm saying No.

Cassandra: Thank you for waiting. I will be right with you.

Cassandra: Hello and welcome! If you don't have a tent you may rent it at the resort, when you arrive at the reception area, they will be able to tell you the rates for their tents.

you: Thank you, I did let my friend know about the tent rental, and even that (I THINK) the tent would be set up and taken down for her. Her argument is it's a one night stay before starting a longer vacation with family who will arrive the next day, she doesn't want to set up a tent (she has one) AND she doesn't want to stay offsite or in a Value. This is her idea of a "scouting mission" for a possible future camping trip, but she doesn't want to set up a tent for the one night. This is why I'm asking. I wouldn't want her getting in trouble, but I suspect what she wants isn't allowed.

you: I can't find any info online saying it is or isn't allowed, but I'm guessing people have either done it or tried to do it and there must be some kind of rule one way or the other.

Cassandra: Well, let me find out for you, I believe you have to have a tent set up, however, let me make sure it is possible.

you: I appreciate it, thank you.

Cassandra: Is that for just one night or for multiple nights?

you: One night, then she is staying with a larger group in a resort.

Cassandra: Great! I asked and the answer is yes, she can just stay in her car for the night.

you: Great, pleasant surprise, I'll let her know, thank you.

Cassandra: My pleasure! Do you have more questions for me today?

you: No that's all I need to know today, though I have a trip of my own scheduled myself in a few months I'm sure I'll have tons of questions before then. Thanks for your help.

got2lovedisney

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
@slappy magoo Thanks for the info! I'm glad I'm not going to be ejected for rule breaking. If it was more than a night, I'd definitely take the time to set-up but as I'm basically only sleeping, I want to keep it simple.
@Weather_Lady I have 2 tents at home and usually have the BF there to set-up so don't really want to buy a new tent however I do like the convenience of the pop-up tents and I might pick one up in the future. Thanks for the link!
@Seabasealpha1 Not worried about the skunk ape. Leave a bottle of beer on the picnic table and the usually satisfies them! :)

Seabasealpha1

@got2lovedisney: LOL my wife and I are from about 800 miles north of that part of Florida... One night we visited family down in Zephyrhills and wound up driving through a dang monsoon down some back-road way between Zehyrhills and Kissimmee. I pulled up a picture of the Florida Skunk Ape on my iPhone and showed my wife (who was driving) the picture. She was mega-paranoid the rest of that drive home as it was dark and raining so hard we couldn't see! It's something I still laugh at her about...

latest

jlsHouston

I understand the logic behind your request, just trying to assume what their reasons would be for denying such a request.
aaaaaaaand we all know what happens when you assume.
I took the liberty of asking the question direct from an online Disney agent. I wouldn't take it as a firm contract but you'll probably like the news. Here is a copy of the conversation:

Welcome to Disney! My name is Cassandra. How may I help you today?

you: Hi Cassandra, one quick question and I swear, I really am "asking for a friend." When it comes to the campsites (not cabins) at Fort Wilderness, is there a policy allowing (or not allowing) people who prefer to sleep in their car? If you get there too late to pitch a tent and you have no camper or RV, is sleeping the car allowed? I'm saying No.

Cassandra: Thank you for waiting. I will be right with you.

Cassandra: Hello and welcome! If you don't have a tent you may rent it at the resort, when you arrive at the reception area, they will be able to tell you the rates for their tents.

you: Thank you, I did let my friend know about the tent rental, and even that (I THINK) the tent would be set up and taken down for her. Her argument is it's a one night stay before starting a longer vacation with family who will arrive the next day, she doesn't want to set up a tent (she has one) AND she doesn't want to stay offsite or in a Value. This is her idea of a "scouting mission" for a possible future camping trip, but she doesn't want to set up a tent for the one night. This is why I'm asking. I wouldn't want her getting in trouble, but I suspect what she wants isn't allowed.

you: I can't find any info online saying it is or isn't allowed, but I'm guessing people have either done it or tried to do it and there must be some kind of rule one way or the other.

Cassandra: Well, let me find out for you, I believe you have to have a tent set up, however, let me make sure it is possible.

you: I appreciate it, thank you.

Cassandra: Is that for just one night or for multiple nights?

you: One night, then she is staying with a larger group in a resort.

Cassandra: Great! I asked and the answer is yes, she can just stay in her car for the night.

you: Great, pleasant surprise, I'll let her know, thank you.

Cassandra: My pleasure! Do you have more questions for me today?

you: No that's all I need to know today, though I have a trip of my own scheduled myself in a few months I'm sure I'll have tons of questions before then. Thanks for your help.

I love this, I am totally cracking up.

weird

I think it may be a safety issue that a lot of campgrounds do not allow you to sleep in the car. They may be worried that the person would either get too hot or too cold, and decide to run the engine of the car for relief. This, of course, is a bad idea, as the person in the car has a high chance of dying from carbonmonoxide poisoning.

PinnySmart

@PinnySmart I understand that. I've done enough resort hopping to know how to get around. I'm choosing to do this. For me, it's a mini-adventure. :)

You are the one who stated your reason for doing this was a "scouting mission". Seems more like attention seeking behavior to me.

Bairstow

My guess would be that sleeping in your car would be considered a no-no mainly because of the heat and humidity. This time of year, maybe not as much of an issue, but can you imagine the lawsuits that would ensue if someone fell asleep in their car, maybe with the windows rolled up, in the summer months? Especially if they slept late and the sun came up and started roasting them?

I absolutely cannot.
Under what theory would someone's estate sue the Walt Disney Company if their decedent decided to sleep in their own car?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom