Cameron has given the OK ...

celluloid

If something opens five to six years after Potter, can we really fairly use the term Potter Swatter at all? It is just kind of sad.

For the people bragging about how Avatar is going to be on par or blow Potter out of the water...shouldn't it? It is coming from a company that is able to throw millions of more of investment into their theme parks(yet rarely do as a ratio of earning to spending) and it is coming a half a decade later. To have to even question it is pretty pathetic and sad when we consider that.

The Empress Lilly

Many of the most revered objects of Western art are all about visual expression and nothing else.

A movie that has an awesome plot but plain visuals can still be a great movie. For example, a courtroom drama. Likewise, a movie that has great visuals but a plain plot / etc can also still be a great movie.
The actual visual experience itself to me is an important aspect of cinematography. Avatar pushed the boundaries, explored new territory in this area. That it did so as a blockbuster movie - hence suspect, unworthy - for me does not detract from that.

WDWFREAK53

A movie that has an awesome plot but plain visuals can still be a great movie. For example, a courtroom drama. Likewise, a movie that has great visuals but a plain plot / etc can also still be a great movie.
The actual visual experience itself to me is an important aspect of cinematography. Avatar pushed the boundaries, explored new territory in this area. That it did so as a blockbuster movie - hence suspect, unworthy - for me does not detract from that.

...and then you get a movie like Life Of Pi. Incredible visuals (one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen) and a pretty damn good story too.

The Empress Lilly

...and then you get a movie like Life Of Pi. Incredible visuals (one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen) and a pretty damn good story too.
* goes check out Life of Pi *

That looks good! Must go see it.
Incidentally, to bring some Princesses into a DAK discussion (;)) , your description is what I thought about Tangled. Awesome movie, stunning visuals if seen in big screen 3D. The effect of a good movie with awesome visuals can be an overwhelming experience!

WDWFREAK53

its funny how life of Pi advertises itself as the next Avatar

Visually...I'd put it above Avatar.
Avatar created an entire world though...whereas this took place on Earth but made them incredibly beautiful.

(Storywise, Life of Pi blows Avatar out of the water though!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom