Cameron has given the OK ...

culturenthrills

... to WDI's current plans for Pandora, and bids will be put out for construction work.

I am not postive as to the exact makeup of said land, but it appears Disney 'won' the battle and there will be two attractions and NOT the three that had been pushed for.

But I am awaiting further details before I post more.

Also, note this has NOTHING to do with ongoing plans for a major makeover of TPFKaTD-MGMS.

I guess push came to shove. Still don't think that this is gonna be as popular as Disney thinks it is. There simply is not the same type of rabid fanbase for Avatar that Harry Potter, Star Wars, LOTR, etc has. That said hopefully WDI can pull off something amazing and Avatar theme or not we will be talking about how amazing it is. But I will have to see it to believe. Yes, New Fantasyland is beautiful but it is all style and little substance.

TikiTorch

I believe this will have far less in common with Soarin than WDI originally planned.
I also believe that anything Cameron OK'd as centerpiece of the new land will be impressive. He's just as demanding as Rowling, just a bit more of a sociopath.
Just want to say THANK YOU for posting, and thanks to you other insiders as well. This is the kind of actual "news and rumors" that make this forum fun to read. Looking forward to the future.

John

The attractions are always the most important part of the menu ... like the entrees. ... Stuff like entertainment, retail and dining can follow later.

I understand that. The feeling I got from Lee's post was that the "entree" was agreed upon but the entire project hadnt been green lit. I am just trying to figure out in where we were at in terms of weather the project was ....its a go?

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I guess push came to shove. Still don't think that this is gonna be as popular as Disney thinks it is. There simply is not the same type of rabid fanbase for Avatar that Harry Potter, Star Wars, LOTR, etc has. That said hopefully WDI can pull off something amazing and Avatar theme or not we will be talking about how amazing it is. But I will have to see it to believe. Yes, New Fantasyland is beautiful but it is all style and little substance.

What I am hoping for that the land will be done well enough so it can stand on it's own...

WDW1974

Original Poster

I say that and am labeled a hater ... when I'm more of a hater of Avatar. But again, I may not trust Disney, but I do trust Cameron. He isn't going to let crap get built no matter what WDI, TDO or Bob Iger wish. IF it gets built, it will be good.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I understand that. The feeling I got from Lee's post was that the "entree" was agreed upon but the entire project hadnt been green lit. I am just trying to figure out in where we were at in terms of weather the project was ....its a go?

Yes, at this point it is all systems go ... I wouldn't have posted otherwise ... not after 13 months of chatter ... and endless infighting and squabbling between parties (not to mention fanboi apathy).

jdmdisney99

People are complaining that they don't think Avatar will have enough juice. Well some people also say that Disney doesn't make as many originally conceptuated rides anymore. So how about Disney takes the idea of Pandora and runs with it. They make it original but it is still a land that people will say,"I think I saw this in a really cool movie one time!"

aladdin2007

I say that and am labeled a hater ... when I'm more of a hater of Avatar. But again, I may not trust Disney, but I do trust Cameron. He isn't going to let crap get built no matter what WDI, TDO or Bob Iger wish. IF it gets built, it will be good.

Good point, whether one is into avatar or not it should at least be worthwhile. What about the statement over at wdwfanboys about VOTLM becoming Phineus and Ferb? Please tell this is not just another meetngreet as a replacement for that show?

Taylor

Good point, whether one is into avatar or not it should at least be worthwhile. What about the statement over at wdwfanboys about VOTLM becoming Phineus and Ferb? Please tell this is not just another meetngreet as a replacement for that show?
What I've heard is that it will be a full musical not a meet and greet

WDW1974

Original Poster

I have heard that as well, but am not 100% confirmed. But what I'm told is attraction, not simply meet and greet.

Todd H

Not the biggest fan of Avatar but I look forward to seeing what type of attractions they come up with. As long as we get another much needed E-Ticket I'm happy.

AEfx

If that's true, it's exactly what I posted about a long time ago assuming what it was going to be.

A modified Soarin', some c-ticket attraction (though I figured it would be a show, if it's a ride that's great), and some shops/eateries they try desperately to tie in.

Doesn't sound much like a "land" to me, though.

It will be interesting to see what Dec 7 brings.

culturenthrills

Yeah, that is one thing this project has going for it. He is a notorious perfectionist and simply won't except just anything being built. I have only watched Avatar once and have no real interest in seeing it again. Did it have some amazing set pieces, yeah but it simply does not have the storytelling and myth making that Star Wars, HP and LOTR has. This land will live or die by how amazing the main attraction is. If it is a blockbuster than everything else will be icing on the cake. But if Disney thinks that they are gonna sell the same amount of merchandise and food and beverage as gets sold at WWOHP they are out of their freaking minds. People on this board get so hung up on attendance but besides stealing a day or two away and effecting WDW occupancy rates UNI is kicking WDW in per guest spending and it is because of WWOHP and it helps that they have that whole entertainment complex for people to have dinner and party at after they are done with the parks for the day.
You know WDW should build one of those.:D

MKCP 1985

So if anybody is still reading this thread 6 pages later, let's recap. There was a huge, surprise announcement that a land based on the Avatar movie franchise would be built in the Animal Kingdom Park, followed by insiders claiming that they heard rumors of this prior to the announcement but didn't believe them and that despite the Disney announcement, the area wasn't really going to be built.

Now we get an announcement that plans are moving forward.

So, what did we learn here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom