Cameron has given the OK ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously? And not shocking that Disney went the cheapo route of not doing three rides... I'm going to guess they keep Soarin' over Pandora and axe the actual cool ride that would appeal the most to the masses (ie the bike coaster). So I guess this would put the budget at 400 million? That was the reported goal of Disney for the price tag. To really make the area great (and long lasting), I think they really at least needed to spend 500 million. But I will give Disney credit for going forward on the project should this all prove true and will wait to see concept art/more plans before making any judgements. I am on the side of wanting Avatar to happen...I do think it has potential. Just choosing to be cautious until I hear about the plans and the budget.

I know what the 'current' budget is, but I really must wait a bit before commenting ...

Magenta Panther

My only deep thoughts on it (and, in keeping my source's job safe and secure) would simply be that if Cameron signed off on it, then it will look good and be quality (whether it fits DAK and belongs there is still something I don't agree with) ... and that, like everything ever proposed by WDI, this could have been even better.

Also, they apparently want to get this started as soon as possible as they know they have lost the PR war and even the fanboi battle with UNI and they are desperate to get the word out that something BIG, something of substance is coming to WDW ...

Yeah, and I bet the general public's reaction to this second Pandora announcement will be the same as its reaction to the first: the devoted Avatar fanbois will cheer, while everybody else will say "Huh?" and/or "Wha-??" and/or "Big deal."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sounds like great news to me. TWDC needs to start investing in WDW once again and with a combined FLE at MK, Avatarland at DAK, and Carsland at DHS, even TDWC's strongest critics will have to acknowledge that, after a 10+ year slumber, WDW is moving forward once again.

I will feel much better when I see construction walls in both parks. Besides, it will give the Disney Lifestyle Whores something to do instead of getting jobs!

bubbles1812

My only deep thoughts on it (and, in keeping my source's job safe and secure) would simply be that if Cameron signed off on it, then it will look good and be quality (whether it fits DAK and belongs there is still something I don't agree with) ... and that, like everything ever proposed by WDI, this could have been even better.

Also, they apparently want to get this started as soon as possible as they know they have lost the PR war and even the fanboi battle with UNI and they are desperate to get the word out that something BIG, something of substance is coming to WDW ...

Your post gives me comfort Spirit! :) I just hope for the bike coaster... I'll feel even more comforted when steel beams start arisin'. Let's hope it happens a quick as you say they want the project to start. Of course quick to Disney is quite different to what quick means to everyone else...

Interesting on your second comment too... when did they realize they were losing the PR war and who managed to pull that stick out of their arrogant butts?

DznyRktekt

I am betting Cameron will get his Bike Coaster in this initial phase of the land. Soarin' 2.0 will be designed and a spot reserved, ready for fiscal year 2014 or 2015 to begin construction. Of course this is just my wishful thinking.

ParentsOf4

I understand the concern. TWDC has let the WDW fan base down over the last several years. I also understand that, at $400 million, there is worry that TWDC is doing this "on the cheap". IMHO, they are following the WWOHP playbook. No matter how wonderful you think WWOHP is, it is essentially one new E-ticket attraction, one rethemed restaurant, and a couple of new stores. (Sorry but I don't count the rides formerly known as Dueling Dragoons or Flying Unicorn, which are essentially the same attractions as before.) One extremely well-executed land and Uni's entire fate has turned around. I assume TWDC thinks they can do the same with Avatarland. And please, before you start jumping all over it, can you wait until it's actually completed before writing that it stinks?

invader

Be shocking if they don't, they know F-land isn't enough ... and UNI has their big announcement in eight days.
Speaking of that announcement, don't you think it's odd to put out an announcement during voting week? Wouldn't it just get lost in news to the general public?

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Speaking of that announcement, don't you think it's odd to put out an announcement during voting week? Wouldn't it just get lost in news to the general public?

I said that in the post about UNI's announcement and I agree it will...but since the collective internet knows it's Transformers, making the announcement is a little moot so there is no loss/gain for UNI on this one... they can save a really big announcement later for HP 2.0.

Ignohippo

Yeah, and I bet the general public's reaction to this second Pandora announcement will be the same as its reaction to the first: the devoted Avatar fanbois will cheer, while everybody else will say "Huh?" and/or "Wha-??" and/or "Big deal."

Yeah but are there any Avatar fanbois? I enjoy a stroll in geekdom from time to time and I don't see it. It just seems to be a movie that people like but it hasn't caught on and created rabid fans like something like Star Wars, Indy or even Tron has.

WDW1974

Original Poster
74' is certainly reliable and I trust him/his sources but even with Cameron giving the purported "ok," this is no way confirms that the thing will get built. Projects have been given the green light before and still haven't been built. I probably will still choose to remain a bit skeptical until I start seeing steel beams rising. Sorry Georgia, not trying to burst the bubble because I feel excited too... but to ask that speculation be put to bed...it still might be a tad premature. Like the others just said...we've been down this road before.

Oh, I am not gonna believe it myself until I see construction. My news was simply that there was an agreement on what both sides want to build ... now, we sit and wait and see if they build it.

Since one attraction may be repurposed in HKDL, I can see it more as a likelihood. But no guarantees.

Of course, it would help justify those HUGE price increaeses planned for 2013.:D

The Empress Lilly

Meh. Does this mean I'll need to watch the movie now?
The movie is actually surprisingly good! In a solid, Cameron kind of way. He knows how to tell a story from A to B and he understands spectacle.

I don't necessarily need to see Avatar in a theme park though. Nor do I want movie tie-ins at DAK.

However, the idea has grown a bit on me. If Cameron can push Cameron-quality out of Disney, I think the land itself will be fun, in and of itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom