Cameras

ddbowdoin

I would also say that if money is the major factor, a used camera is the way to go. And that's not a bad thing really. You'd be amazed at what is available. I would streongly suggest KEH. Extremely reputable dealer. I've spent a few thousand with them over the years.

As an example, based on what we know in this thread, for the OP, check out this camera. A590IS is compact, has image stabilization, at least a decent sensor, and is <$100. Stated as Like New minus. And they're fairly conservative is their ratings. This is a good deal.

There are actually several Canon's in the list I would recommend. For a P&S, at the lower price points, I would go with one of them.

KEH is great... really well done

NowInc

I would also say that if money is the major factor, a used camera is the way to go. And that's not a bad thing really. You'd be amazed at what is available. I would streongly suggest KEH. Extremely reputable dealer. I've spent a few thousand with them over the years.

As an example, based on what we know in this thread, for the OP, check out this camera. A590IS is compact, has image stabilization, at least a decent sensor, and is <$100. Stated as Like New minus. And they're fairly conservative is their ratings. This is a good deal.

There are actually several Canon's in the list I would recommend. For a P&S, at the lower price points, I would go with one of them.

Ironically I own a A590IS and can say its awesome. The battery life is impressive, and if you feel its "too limiting" you can always use a "hacked" firmware (I last used CHDK : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK)

ddbowdoin

Im well aware of the quality of camera phones. Clearly the OP is not a serious photographer, so I was trying to offer a solution that could be useful and still stay within the budget. Your suggesting of a camera system that can easily be $600 (or more) which is 6x the OP's budget, didn't seem useful in the least to me.

I understood the budget, but produced an alternative to at least consider...

Olympus is a perfect candidate to purchase, a company that cranks out new models so often leads to a nice discount on older bodies... now add in the fact they are in financial despair. I believe the original PEN body is really affordable used, like 199. Sure the Pen3 and lens will run you, not sure... 900? But KEH is a great place to start.

I definitely agree with people going the used route... especially on such a tight budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom