Cameras

bethram

Original Poster
I'm considering buying a new point and shoot camera before our trip in June. I'm on my second Kodak Easy Share and I liked my first one a lot better than my current version, this one can be grainy in low light. I'm willing to change brands but I'd like something that consistently takes good pictures, is durable, and easy to use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

melmood2000

I have a Sony Cyber Shot I have had it for almost 4 years, and I love it, it is small enough to put in my pocket and the settings are super easy. Both my mother and sister have the Nikon Cool pix and they love it. I haven't shopped for a new camera lately maybe some one that has will know what kind of new features brands are offering. I have had good luck with Sony.

ddbowdoin

I'm considering buying a new point and shoot camera before our trip in June. I'm on my second Kodak Easy Share and I liked my first one a lot better than my current version, this one can be grainy in low light. I'm willing to change brands but I'd like something that consistently takes good pictures, is durable, and easy to use.

I have a Sony Cyber Shot I have had it for almost 4 years, and I love it, it is small enough to put in my pocket and the settings are super easy. Both my mother and sister have the Nikon Cool pix and they love it. I haven't shopped for a new camera lately maybe some one that has will know what kind of new features brands are offering. I have had good luck with Sony.

honestly... brand doesn't matter, when comparing P&S's in the same category and price point they are all the same.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Most are similar. kinda depends on what you want out of it? Long zoom? Good video? Sony HX9V is a little pricier and bigger than most p&s but it is huge on features. Great video and picture quality. We have its big brother the HX100V and I love it.

ddbowdoin

what's your budget?

bethram

Original Poster
I haven't priced anything in years, literally years. I'm hoping for not much more than $100. Is that unrealistic?

KeithVH

Unfortunately, in that price range, stick with the Kodak. For everything that people love to complain about with that company and their recent troubles, they actually make a much better sensor than several of the other companies.

Now, once you get above $300, it's a different story. I would go for either a Canon or Panasonic. The latter moreso if you're looking for a lot of features. Canon for image quality.

There is so much hype around these devices in general it's tough to trust anything any manufacturer says. If you want to take the time, DPReview.com is the place to go to refine what you want.

What is the MAX amount you can go and what are the most important features you'd like? That would help us with more focused recommendations.

ddbowdoin

I haven't priced anything in years, literally years. I'm hoping for not much more than $100. Is that unrealistic?

PHEW, 100 bucks might be a tough to one to pull out. Many, many cameras in that price point but you do get what you pay for. My father is the type who goes for the price points and has chewed threw 3-4 100 dollar cameras... he's had some Fuji's, Canons and Nikons. Honestly, they all produce similar results.

bethram

Original Poster
Right now I'm still playing with the idea of getting a new camera. It depends on what I get from my students at the end of the school year.

I'd like something that has a good zoom, fits in my pocket, but most importantly takes decent pictures in any light.

Thank you for all the help!

ddbowdoin

Right now I'm still playing with the idea of getting a new camera. It depends on what I get from my students at the end of the school year.

I'd like something that has a good zoom, fits in my pocket, but most importantly takes decent pictures in any light.

Thank you for all the help!

here's a quick tip... if you're truly serious about getting some nice images then maybe try and save up to get something like a micro 4/3rd's with a 20mm (or around that mark) pancake lens. While it is a little thicker than a typical P&S with the pancake lens you can fit this in your pocket. This will allow you to learn and shoot in manual mode and when paired with a tripod (or gorilla pod since its so light) you can get some stunning shots at night.

It's well above your budget but research some of the older models and a deal can be found. I'm a Nikon shooter so I am not 100% up to speed with the models and specs but these cameras are great for people looking to leave behind the P&S cameras. It's just something to consider.

1306221972_206856736_5-OLYMPUS-PEN-EP2-PANCAKE-LENS-KIT-LIMITED-EDITION-BRAND-NEW-Metro-Manila.jpg

G00fyDad

What is the zoom length for this EP2's in box lens? Or does it even come with a lens? Please remember, I know crap about cameras. I took a course back during my first college degree but I swear, I must have been asleep or the field has changed that much in 20 years. LOL

ddbowdoin

What is the zoom length for this EP2's in box lens? Or does it even come with a lens? Please remember, I know crap about cameras. I took a course back during my first college degree but I swear, I must have been asleep or the field has changed that much in 20 years. LOL

From what I understand they don't have a set stock kit, I know they have various set ups and are priced accordingly. I'm not an Olympus shooter though. They do have a wonderful set of adapters so that you can use Leica and other rangefinder lenses but those lenses will set you back real good money

CP_alum08

Do you have an iphone?

I am usually never one to recommend a camera phone over a real camera, even a P&S, but at <$100 you won't get much. You could get a small tripod for the iphone, a set of 'lenses', and a couple fun apps for under $100. Just a different thought.

I have never personally used these lenses, but I have heard/read pretty great things.
http://olloclip.com/index.html

ddbowdoin

Do you have an iphone?

I am usually never one to recommend a camera phone over a real camera, even a P&S, but at <$100 you won't get much. You could get a small tripod for the iphone, a set of 'lenses', and a couple fun apps for under $100. Just a different thought.

I have never personally used these lenses, but I have heard/read pretty great things.
http://olloclip.com/index.html

you'd need to basically just use this for the net with no intentions of ever printing anything

G00fyDad

you'd need to basically just use this for the net with no intentions of ever printing anything

I totally agree. I hate hearing someone say "I don't need a camera. I have an iPhone." :ROFLOL: I don't know much about cameras other than how to use one is the basic sense but I know that cell phone pics are garbage next to the average PaS. No matter what gadgets Apple tricks people into buying. ;)

CP_alum08

Im well aware of the quality of camera phones. Clearly the OP is not a serious photographer, so I was trying to offer a solution that could be useful and still stay within the budget. Your suggesting of a camera system that can easily be $600 (or more) which is 6x the OP's budget, didn't seem useful in the least to me.

NowInc

I honestly can't see getting a camera (even a P&S) brand new for 100 bucks or less. Thats why I suggested an older model...used if need be. It would be better than a phone camera, but not as good as a current generation P&S.

$100 is really REALLY limiting.

KeithVH

I would also say that if money is the major factor, a used camera is the way to go. And that's not a bad thing really. You'd be amazed at what is available. I would streongly suggest KEH. Extremely reputable dealer. I've spent a few thousand with them over the years.

As an example, based on what we know in this thread, for the OP, check out this camera. A590IS is compact, has image stabilization, at least a decent sensor, and is <$100. Stated as Like New minus. And they're fairly conservative is their ratings. This is a good deal.

There are actually several Canon's in the list I would recommend. For a P&S, at the lower price points, I would go with one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom