Calling all parents of school-aged kiddos!

Nemo14

Policies vary from state-to-state and town-to-town. You're not doing your kids any favors by "b u c k i n g the system" in some of the stricter school districts.
I totally agree that a trip to WDW is a very valuable learning experience for kids and families, but I also know how miserable some school districts can make it for kids. i know that some schools around here will not give "make-up work" for unexcused absences (they count as zeroes) or, in the case of the upper grades, will give the students an overwhelming amount of work to make up in a short amount of time after they return (not before). Before you decide to take your kids out of school for a week or more, check carefully with your child's teacher(s) about their policies and base your decision on that.

dragonfox98

Wow...that's all I can say is "Wow". I did not realize other states and districts could be so strict with attendance policies. Our district (in NJ) has a policy that allows for 13 or 14 unexcused absences during the year. This does not include if the child is ill and gets a medical note - it's for things like vacation and such. The district only sends a truant officer or, more usually, a letter home after the 10th absence that requires your presence in the local court.

I will admit, I am one of those parents that have absolutely no problem taking my kids out of school (however, I do see where it could become more difficult for the kids the older they get). I usually take them out for about six school days. This year, we got lucky because one of the days is an in-service day and the kids would have off anyway. Whoo-hoo - less to feel guilty about.

In April 2006, I wrote a note to my daughter's teacher and principle to explain where we were going (I figured my daugther would spill the beans anyhow) and the dates we would be gone. I requested that her work be sent home with her, but told the teacher I completely understood if she could not give it to me (district policy allows teacher discretion in this case). All the teacher wanted my daughter to do was keep a daily journal of where we went, what we saw and what we did. So, not only was it excellent "school work" for her, she is able to have a memory of her trip!:)

Our principal is very understanding that the school year is the only time we can take family vacations (I am very pale and melt in 80 degree, non-humid weather, let alone FL in the summer). I guess we are just luck out here in the sticks of NJ!!!

H20Babie

I have taken my son out of kindergarten to go to the World. Next week, he starts Grade 1. My own parents would pull my brother and I out of school for up to a month to go down to Florida, BUT our attendance and grades were always good, until I hit high school when attendence and grades became more important. Then, there was no being pulled out of school.

I agree that as a parent, you know what is best for your children and whether your children will suffer or benefit from being pulled out. That being said, the best advice (as a parent and soon-to-be-teacher) is to work with the teacher to figure out the best time to go as well as an assignment or homework to take, depending on the age.

In all honesty, if my children are not going to suffer or fall behind, are good and decent kids, and the school is giving me a hard time about it, I would remind them that as a taxpayer, they should remember just who is paying their salaries :lookaroun

miles1

I have to say that I fall into the camp that feels that Iam in charge of my kids and will do with them what I feel is appropriate. If they are floundering in school, I am not so stupid as to make the situation worse by taking them out of school for a vacation. I have taken them out when DS was younger, but now HE refuses to miss school unless he is nearly on his death bed. He's an honor roll student and scored in the top 1% nationally on testing last year. (Sorry for bragging.)

With that said, I can understand where teachers and school officials are coming from with their attitudes on this. First, they have to struggle to maintain the grades of all the students. My kids may do very well in school, but if the parents of those who don't see my kids leaving for a week's vacation, they may see nothing wrong with doing so too, to their kid's disadvantage.

Second, it sends the message to the teacher that the job he or she does is somewhat unimportant; that the kids can learn the material without listening to them in class. Just try going to your supervisor or the president of your company and telling them that you really don't need their direction anymore; you can do your job just fine without them.:lol:

The bottom line is that it is up to the parent to make the call. If your kids' grades are already marginal, then don't do it. If your kids are good students and can learn the material without the class time, then go for it. Just be prepared to fight like heck if the teacher/school administration gives you a hard time.

Nemo14

I have to say that I fall into the camp that feels that Iam in charge of my kids and will do with them what I feel is appropriate. If they are floundering in school, I am not so stupid as to make the situation worse by taking them out of school for a vacation. I have taken them out when DS was younger, but now HE refuses to miss school unless he is nearly on his death bed. He's an honor roll student and scored in the top 1% nationally on testing last year. (Sorry for bragging.)

With that said, I can understand where teachers and school officials are coming from with their attitudes on this. First, they have to struggle to maintain the grades of all the students. My kids may do very well in school, but if the parents of those who don't see my kids leaving for a week's vacation, they may see nothing wrong with doing so too, to their kid's disadvantage.

Second, it sends the message to the teacher that the job he or she does is somewhat unimportant; that the kids can learn the material without listening to them in class. Just try going to your supervisor or the president of your company and telling them that you really don't need their direction anymore; you can do your job just fine without them.:lol:

The bottom line is that it is up to the parent to make the call. If your kids' grades are already marginal, then don't do it. If your kids are good students and can learn the material without the class time, then go for it. Just be prepared to fight like heck if the teacher/school administration gives you a hard time.
My kids were both honor students too, but we could never take them out during the school year since DH is a teacher. What would the taxpayers say if we told them that we're going to WDW for a week or 2 in September because it's less busy then? In a way it's the same thing - kids have a job - attending school - and that job provides ample vacation time for them already.

ann0d1

I live in PA and we got a form stating no more than 10 unexcused absences. No more than five in a row. We are going Dec 6-16 and I am in trouble because my DS will miss 7 days of schools. I'll have to see what they say.

Eyorefan

I grew up in the Texas public schools and now my daughter is "in the system" so I feel like I can speack to Texas policies. Every school and district is different, but generally speaking I would say that as long as your kids aren't missing the required number of days for instructions which is something like 65ish days out of 180.... you should be fine.

Yes, growing up I had friends who skiped school or whose parents let them stay home and were failed because of too many absences, but really that's an extrem case.

I take my daughter out of school every year for vacation. Last year she was out a week for Disney World, a week to see her Father graduate from boot camp, and three days for Disneyland. I never heard a complaint from either the Teacher or the School. I gave plenty of noticed and made sure she got all of her work done.

miles1

My kids were both honor students too, but we could never take them out during the school year since DH is a teacher. What would the taxpayers say if we told them that we're going to WDW for a week or 2 in September because it's less busy then? In a way it's the same thing - kids have a job - attending school - and that job provides ample vacation time for them already.

Not trying to start an argument here Nemo, but three points:

First, your husband chose to be a teacher and live within the vacation constraints. I have no choice over my kids' vacation schedule. (Some of which is pretty darned inconvenient, like a week off in February for teacher in-services when there is a foot of snow on the ground and absolutely nothing to do here in New England unless you ski.)

Second, my job makes it difficult for me to take time off from May until Mid-August, which is our busy season. So am I supposed to give up family vacations entirely for 12 to 16 years of my life to suit the school schedule?

Last, I have no problem with your husband taking time off during the school year. If it makes him more relaxed and focused on his job when he returns, then go for it. There are other circumstances that cause teachers to take time off during the school year, such as maternity leave, that don't end in catastrophe.

Again, I'm not trying to flame you, just sharing my point of view.

kubfish

While I think the intentions are good, like all regulations/laws they are vague and meant for those that abuse the system.

IMO your kids will learn more in the week at WDW then being at school.... HAHA Okay I am in CA so you know were my trust is in the public school system. Hey Texas is ranked lower then us so what am I talking about.

Anyway, bottom line...the week or so you take your kids out of school will have no effect on there future as adults, in a negative way at least.

Only positives can be gained from a vacation with a family to the greatest place on earth. I would of said happiest but that place is in my home state. :ROFLOL:

Have a great vacation and don't worry about Texas... I think this is a great opportunity for a nice lawsuit! Again showing my CA roots.

alexaveryq

I haven't read the entire thread super-carefully, but I'm going to say a few things most people haven't said. I'm a teacher, by the way.

1). Schools MAY let you take the days and not have them count against your child, but they don't have to. I know in my state if you have any unexcused absences, we are allowed to let your child make up the work missed, but we don't have to. It's a discretionary issue. If your child was in WDW for x amount of days, he/she could miss that many days' worth of work and get zeros for that time in every class. It doesn't matter if he/she is an honor student, or in kindergarten, or whatever. Them's the breaks:( . By the way, a parent note is not an excused absence.

2). As part of the No Child Left Behind Act, schools are being "graded" on their attendance, both excused and unexcused. My school becomes a "failing school" if we have too many students being out too many times. It doesn't matter what they are out for (although excused absences count in a different category as unexcused, and aren't viewed as negatively). Absence=black mark on our record, so to speak. This varies state to state, but it is an issue that ALL public schools must deal with.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with taking kids out of school for vacation (although I personally wouldn't do it as my husband and I are both teachers), I'm just laying out the facts. Schools may choose to accomodate you, but in no way are they obligated to do so.

M's of Marietta

I know this won't be a popular response, however, my school only allows excused absences for doctor's appointments. I personally feel that taking kids out of school to go to WDW sends them the wrong message about the importance of school. School should be the number one priority, not a themepark. Yes, it is a pain to have to deal with the crowds, but, it's the price we pay for having them. A price I gladly pay. They grow up so quickly, you will be able to go anytime you want soon enough. I am sure I will be beaten up for this idea, but, lack of priorities and a sense of privilege is partly what is wrong with our society today.

DISMOM

ok, We have taken our kids out of school twice, in 2004 and 2006. At the time they were in Kdg and 2nd grade and 2nd and 4th grade. Everything went fine as we informed the teachers in Nov of the upcoming May trips.
Then, I had a hair brained idea for a spur of the moment trip in either late April/mid May of 2007. The 3rd grade teacher said, 'have a great time, you only live once.' Then the 5th grade teacher threw a hissy. I thought that flames were going to shoot out of her head. Her comments ranged from, 'Why can't you go during Spring Break like the rest of America?' to 'if you think that you can teach her 5th grade geometry as well as I can, you go ahead and try it.' Can you tell she's not the Happiest Person on Earth.??
My husband cannot take vacations in March, which is when our Spring Break occurs.
I am not a teacher, but am related to many who are teachers. I think that all of them said to go to Disney anyway, that the kids will get much more out of Disney than sitting in a classroom all day long. By the way, we decided not to go even though I could have went to our principal, noted the 5th grade teacher's reaction to him, and reminded everyone that our school has a 6 day excused absence policy per semester for vacations.
I'm going next week to inform the teachers that we are 'thinking' of a vacation in early May that will involve the kids missing school for about 5 days. We realize that this is the last year that we are able to do this as DD will be in the 7th grade next year and I don't think that I want do deal with 7 of her teachers. I know my limits. ha.
By the way, our kids make A's and as for the relatives that are teachers...several of them have taken days off of school to go on vacation..and some of them have been Disney vacations in Jan and Feb.
I say, let your teachers know and feel them out. If they are totally against it and have flames shooting out of their heads about it....it's just not worth it. But, consider it, and have a great time.

mousebymarriage

We live in New Jersey and have always taken our kids out of school for Disney. My DD age 10 is entering the 6th grade next week and has never had a problem with missing 1 week of school. She is an honor roll student(straight A's all the way) in advanced classes. My DS is 6 and entering 1st grade so really he didn't miss much work in pre-k and kindergarten. My kids are generally very healthy and do not normally miss more than a day or two during the school year for illness. I always inform the school at the start of the year that my children will be absent from__to __. Then I remind the teacher during the parent teacher conferences that my kids will be absent. About 2 weeks before we leave I send a reminder note to the principal. The teachers usually have some work ready for my kids a few days before the trip but, I don't expect it. It has never been a problem for us but, I guess some other schools may be more strict. This year my kids will be absent January 29th thru February 5th, because of our annual trip to WDW.

Pooh'sBuddy

I remember when I was in high school (North of Houston) there were kids who not only took off for the school district's spring break but took an additional week off school to join a trail ride for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. So fooey to anyone who thinks this is an issue that recently became an issue.

Secondly, I heard this morning on the radio that, here in Austin, yesterday, our first day for the school district, 10% was absent. I'd go and have fun. We plan going before our kids reach school age and may do it when they're in school, as well.

mousebymarriage

My kids understand how important school is, they know that is you don't have a fever, vomitting or diahrrea, you go to school! My husband and I both feel that a good education is vital,(my mother-in-law was a teacher for 30 years) however, I also feel that spending time together as a family is important. Part of our Disney vacation includes other family members joining us, sort of a family reunion. My kids get to spend quality time with their Aunts, uncles, cousins and Grandma and Grandpa during our annual trip. We only get to see these family members twice a year, for a week at a time. If my kids were having difficulty in school or were discipline problems in school then a Disney trip would be out, they are good kids so I don't see the harm in it!

Jayhawkie

It's funny that this topic gets brought up today!!! I just spoke to my son's principal about our vacation in October. She was rreally nice about it and just said to email her with the exact dates so that she can put it in a file. My son's teacher is fine with it too!!! It does help that my son is a good student and that he will have no trouble catching up. This is probably the only time that I will ever take my kids out again. But we shall see!!! Good luck to those that need it!!! As far as I'm concerned, they are your children and you should be able to do with them what you want. Besides Disney has lots of educational parts about it!! Oh well, I am on the countdown 59 days to go!!!!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

mbly

My kids are in 1st,3rd, and 5th this year. As long as the shool knows ahead of time I don't see a problem. We stress education in our house but we also stress family time. Our kids will only be young so long. I don't think I'd take them out of after the 7th grade though. The older they get the more responsabilities they have.

mgraef

I agree with the don't ask them for permission, tell them what you are doing.

I would not even offer up any more explanation as to why you need to go when you are going. If they cannot figure out that you are beating the heat/crowds, then you would be fibbing to tell them any different.

That is what I plan to do in the foreseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom