California sisters to hopefully make a trip to Florida

Californian Elitist

As some of you may or may not know, I am active on WDWMagic, but spend 99.9% of my time in the Disneyland sub-forum. I'm a native of Los Angeles and have been visiting Disneyland all my life, and I truly don't know how many times I've been. I've always wanted to see Walt Disney World, and now the chance may be on its way.

While paying for a hotel, park tickets, and food was never a problem, paying for a plane ticket, on top of paying for hotel, park tickets, and food was, especially now that I've graduated from college and will have to start paying my loans off in just a few months. While a few of my friends have been traveling in celebration of graduation (Colombia, England, France, Italy... These are just a few of the places my friends have been going, and I'm obviously jealous), I've been...in Los Angeles. Working. Plans of traveling further than Northern California weren't in the cards, until the best uncle in the world surprised me and sent two Southwest Airline tickets to me in the mail for finishing college.

After days of figuring out where we (my little sister and I) wanted to go, my mom suggested the brilliant idea of going to Orlando, Florida to visit Walt Disney World. What a smart woman she is. My sister has agreed, and now we are trying to make it to Walt Disney World sometime next year, before July, which is when our flight tickets expire.

A date has not been set, however, we're thinking of setting 5-7 days aside for our trip. Four days will be spent in the parks, one day for each park, and the other days will be for relaxing/possibly doing something else in Florida (like USO/IoA!). We know we will be staying in a value hotel and we most likely won't be eating at any table service spots because no one has money for that, times are hard, and the struggle is definitely real. I know the counter service options aren't like Disneyland's and California Adventure's, but I'm sure we'll survive.

I'm EXTREMELY excited for next year. To all my friends here (you know who you are) and others, please reply with some helpful tips and information and help your California friend out!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Congrats on graduating and your upcoming trip!!
First there is lots of delicious counter service/quick service options at WDW!! Even more than Disneyland just for the obvious vast amount of them in all of the parks and Disney Springs/Downtown Disney. Every park has several faves of counter service spots we love and have to eat at every single trip! We love many table service restaurants as well that we have to eat at on every trip but as you said those are not in the cards due to the costs.
Second in my opinion being this is your first trip to WDW I would spend all 5-7 days while there in WDW and not take full days to relax (maybe do half a day) or go to UNI(nothing against UNI but for your first trip that is not that long I would stick with the 4 parks and downtown Disney). MK and EPCOT definately usually need more than 1 day to see the parks. Also if you can afford it I would add the park hopper (only about $60 a person for
The whole length of your stay to add it). Me and DH never go without a park hopper and especially for a shorter trip would have one. AK and HS usually close earlier than the others and you could always go to one of the other parks in the evenings etc esp if one may have EMH till later in the evenings. That would also come in handy if you do only spend 4 days in the parks.
All If this is purely on opinion but really consider utilizing all if your time at WDW being you have never been before. This way you are not as rushed and you can take in more
If what WDW has to offer. It truly is so much larger and vast than you can even imagine compared to Disneyland! If you were going longer than 5-7 days then I would say venturing out will not be bad or taking a day off from the parks would be fine like us we go for
Almost 2 weeks every trip. We still don't venture outside of the world
often or take many/if any days off from at least visiting a park several hours each day. That is how much they have to do even for 2 adults with no children! Lol.
Take all advice with a grain of salt and do what you most want to do because it is your trip! Enjoy planning and Congrats again!!! :joyfull::happy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

draybook

I would concur with what @sxeensweet said and keep all of your days at WDW. That's what we did on our first trip out there. Hopefully there will be other opportunities for you to come back to Universal Resort Orlando, but with any trip under 10 days I highly recommend keeping the bubble intact.

Glad you're finally getting a chance to see the East Coast side of the family. I'm still working on getting us out to California and DL.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

Congrats on graduating and your upcoming trip. I question 4 days only because of this being your first trip to WDW. I am saying this because my first trip at WDW was in the early 1990's and 5 days and 4 nights wasn't enough despite WDW only having 3 parks at the time.

I'll be commenting for you for counter service for Epcot, DHS and Magic Kingdom in this post. I'll be giving you park tips for attractions on my next post. I can't comment about AK since I haven't went to the new eating places they have yet.

While I haven't to all the counter services and snack places in Epcot, there is some I like. Epcot is really the best theme park at WDW for Food for all around food when in comes to Table Service, Counter service and snacks.Sunshine seasons offers great counter service meals. I am going to mention that the bakeries in France, Norway has great stuff to eat. Germany's Karamell-Kuche is a nice snack place.

Magic Kingdom to me is better for counter service than Table service and is very good for snacks.

I am not much into food for DHS, but Starring rolls and Writer's Shop are good spots.

Upvote 0

pajammies

I agree with both previous posters. I have not been to DL, but I do know that trying to fit all of WDW into 4 days will be difficult if not impossible. If you need to keep it at 4 days then I also agree with a park hopper.
Also if you're staying at a Disney resort the whole time you might consider getting park tickets for more days. Once you buy tickets for 4-5 days it's minimal to add one more day. Just in case you can squeeze in a late evening another night. :D Don't forget about Downtown Disney (being renamed Disney Springs) we really enjoy going there and can spend a fair bit of time there too. Congrats! And how nice of you to take your sister on your trip!!

Upvote 0

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

We're not trying to see everything, our cramp everything in four days. Clearly that's not happening. We just want to see what we can. There's no rush or anything. Also, we don't care about the "bubble." Leaving the resort for any reason is no issue for us.

Both my sister and I work for Universal. For how much longer, I don't know, ergo the reason it might be included in the plan.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

DHS and AK maybe the parks that you might have problems to do a full day, but at least AK should be improving by the time you go.

What I can tell you about DHS is Toy Story Midway Mania has much longer lines than they do at DCA. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and Light, Motor, Action! will be gone by 2021 and if you want to do them, do it on your upcoming trip if they are not closed yet.

I don't know if Disney going to close more attraction after Voyage of the Little Mermaid and One Man's Dream before you go and don't know if Disney is going to complete anything new at DHS by the time you go either. I don't know if DHS would be having special events if you are not going in May or June, but I think that is a possibility due DHS being turned into a construction zone at spots at the park. The best thing to do is for DHS is keep an eye on any news on the Park for any closings, openings, or events.

AK next year should have their night time show and a Nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safari open in March I think. I think Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari are the busiest attractions.

Epcot's busiest attractions right now are Soarin' and Test Track, but that is likely to change once Frozen ever after opens next year, but don't know if that is going to open by the time you and your sister go to WDW.

Upvote 0

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Congrats on graduating and your upcoming trip. I question 4 days only because of this being your first trip to WDW. I am saying this because my first trip at WDW was in the early 1990's and 5 days and 4 nights wasn't enough despite WDW only having 3 parks at the time.

I'll be commenting for you for counter service for Epcot, DHS and Magic Kingdom in this post. I'll be giving you park tips for attractions on my next post. I can't comment about AK since I haven't went to the new eating places they have yet.

While I haven't to all the counter services and snack places in Epcot, there is some I like. Epcot is really the best theme park at WDW for Food for all around food when in comes to Table Service, Counter service and snacks.Sunshine seasons offers great counter service meals. I am going to mention that the bakeries in France, Norway has great stuff to eat. Germany's Karamell-Kuche is a nice snack place.

Magic Kingdom to me is better for counter service than Table service and is very good for snacks.

I am not much into food for DHS, but Starring rolls and Writer's Shop are good spots.

Thank you, in regards to the comments on counter service spots! We don't want to eat typical theme park fast food the entire time. This list will help.

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

@raven24 - You helped me so much (and I am sure many others) in planning my trip to Disneyland - now we can repay the favor!

While I definitely think you can spend more than 4 days at Disney - I also understand wanting to visit USO/IoA. I heard USH is getting a big Potter expansion, and this will be your preview!

Value hotel - For 2 adults I would recommend Pop Century. It is really well themed, decent bus pickups to the parks, etc. Plus a great food court! Tie dyed cheesecake... yum. :)

Counter service places to eat - I think you will be pleasantly surprised, there are still quite a few good ones.
MK - BOG (Lunch), Cosmic Rays, Columbia Harbour House
AK - Yak & Yeti Food Court, Flame Tree BBQ
EPCOT - Yorkshire Fish Shop (UK), Lotus Blossom Cafe (China), Sunshine Seasons (Future world) (and so many more in World Showcase)
HS - Staring Rolls (We don't eat a whole lot of QS at Hollywood Studios)
You can also leave the parks and go to nearby hotels such as Captain Cooks at the Polynesian or Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary

Make sure to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours that are offered. This is different, but similar, to the Extra Hour offered in California. At Disney World - there is always one park that either opens an hour early or stays open 2+ hours late just for on site guests. You will really find that you can get a lot done and will enjoy your time during those hours. I have seen many pictures of the castle with no one else in the picture just because someone took advantage of the extra hours.

Also - (and I know this is often a debated topic here) but watch for deals, you could possibly end up with free dining. If you are staying at a value resort it is typically free QS Dining, but that seems to fit what you are looking for.

I hope you have fun planning!!!! If you have specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If being Universal employees gets you in free, then by all means include IOA/USO. If you're getting a discount, then money being an issue comes into play. Both Disney and Universal front-load their ticket pricing specifically to deter switching between their offerings. After four days at Disney [without/with Hopper - $324.83/$392.99], extra days cost $10+tax. Separate Universal tickets will cost $50-150/day depending on how many days you get [less any employee discounts]. If Table Service is out of the question because of costs, $40+ per day likely would be too.

There is enough to keep dedicated park commandos busy at WDW for a full week. If you're planning on pacing yourselves and relaxing, you'll be fine just with WDW and won't break the budget.

While "Theme Park fare" is available at WDW, there are plenty of healthy options, no worries there.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thank you, everyone! I knew I could count on you guys/gals.

So one vote for Pop Century. Any recommendations/comments for the other value hotels?
The other values are older. They sometimes share buses during the day, which can add to travel times. They're still nice, but Pop is nicer.

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

Thank you, everyone! I knew I could count on you guys/gals.

So one vote for Pop Century. Any recommendations/comments for the other value hotels?

I should mention that I also love All Star Movies - but I feel it is more of a kid resort.

I have stayed at 3 of the 5 value resorts and for the most part, the rooms are very similar just different decor. All Star resorts will *sometimes* share a bus. Usually during the day, not at park opening or closing hours. Pop has its own bus just for that resort.

Here are a couple pictures.. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices, but I still stand by Pop for adults. (Unless of course the decor of one of the others appeals to you!)

All Star Music
100_3083.JPG

All Star Movies
100_3099.JPG

Pop Century
100_1116.JPG

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Found one of my lists so you don't have to go searching. Lol :p

Favorite quick service locations:

Sunshine Seasons @ Epcot
Germany Sommerfest @ Epcot
Liberty inn @ Epcot
Bakery in France (serves soups & sand.) @ Epcot
Fairfax Fare @ HS.
Starring Rolls @ HS
Columbia Harbor House @MK
Be our Guest @ MK
Caseys @ MK.
Pizzafari @ AK
Restaurantaurus @ AK
Flame Tree @ AK
Earl of Sandwhich @ Downtown Disney
Wolfgang express @ Downtown Disney
Captain Cooks @ The Poly
The Mara @ AKL.
The Boardwalk Bakery (serves sand. Etc also) @ The Boardwalk

You can look on the menus to see what appeals to you best at all the quick service locations on here. So many more broad options available than just average "theme park fare" at WDW. :hungry:

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

As a fellow Cali Gal(northern here), I can totally sympathize! We are booked for May of next year but probably changing it to Ocotober/November due to a new addition to the family and just needing more time to save. I can pay for May now but flights for 4 from CA are not cheap and add another $1500 to $2400 depending on where and when we fly out. We've done DLR since my oldest was 6 and he is now 26 and since his brother was 6 and he is now 17 but have never done WDW for a number of reasons but with some planning and praying(LOL) we will finally make it. Better late than never right? Plus my son's gf is graduating vet school next year and we are hoping to find a break in her intern rotation and get to take her with us.

Upvote 0

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
As a fellow Cali Gal(northern here), I can totally sympathize! We are booked for May of next year but probably changing it to Ocotober/November due to a new addition to the family and just needing more time to save. I can pay for May now but flights for 4 from CA are not cheap and add another $1500 to $2400 depending on where and when we fly out. We've done DLR since my oldest was 6 and he is now 26 and since his brother was 6 and he is now 17 but have never done WDW for a number of reasons but with some planning and praying(LOL) we will finally make it. Better late than never right? Plus my son's gf is graduating vet school next year and we are hoping to find a break in her intern rotation and get to take her with us.

I'm glad someone else understands the struggle lol. I'm glad you're finally able to go! These trips aren't cheap, whatsoever. Definitely better late than never. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Aztec (SDSU) Alumni here... lived in SD and LA. Experienced DL, Knott's, Universal and Magic Mountain (now Sick Flags) when we lived in SoCal. To me, MK is a lot like DL, just a bit larger, and with some different attractions. But, having done both, I would not miss going to either, when at all possible! The other parks will be a new experience altogether. Having one day in each park is good. But, I disagree with others - for a first visit, save money and skip the hopper. If you finish a park early, enjoy the resort pools, or just take time to explore the vastness of WDW - it is HUGE!!!.

Speaking of resorts, we LOVE POP Century! Bus service has been great for us.

For food, we found plenty of variety at all of the WDW parks. Take time to check out the menus available on this site, and also at Allears.net.

Have a great time!

Yeah, I'm used to park hopping at the DLR, which takes no effort. I'm not up for park hopping at WDW. Not yet, at least. We'll be sticking to one-day tickets.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

I'm glad someone else understands the struggle lol. I'm glad you're finally able to go! These trips aren't cheap, whatsoever. Definitely better late than never. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Yeah, I'm used to park hopping at the DLR, which takes no effort. I'm not up for park hopping at WDW. Not yet, at least. We'll be sticking to one-day tickets.

Thank you!

You too! Turns out we are planning two trips for next year(the upside of being old, all loans are paid off and retirements are kicking in while hubby is still working LOL) and we are skipping the hopper too because DLR is one thing to walk across the way but as newbies, we will be busy enough getting our bearings and seeing as much as we can while we can. My husband may not make both trips due to working at a refinery and if the refinery has issues, all vacation time can be canceled with little to no notice so we figure better plan two and hopefully at least one will include the whole family. LOL

Upvote 0

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You too! Turns out we are planning two trips for next year(the upside of being old, all loans are paid off and retirements are kicking in while hubby is still working LOL) and we are skipping the hopper too because DLR is one thing to walk across the way but as newbies, we will be busy enough getting our bearings and seeing as much as we can while we can. My husband may not make both trips due to working at a refinery and if the refinery has issues, all vacation time can be canceled with little to no notice so we figure better plan two and hopefully at least one will include the whole family. LOL

These are the times I wish ten grand would just plop into my lap... I kid you not, maybe 40 minutes after graduating, my cap and gown still on, I received an email from the feds, stating they were aware of my graduating and my payments would start in November.:greedy: You're blessed to have your loans paid off! I hope your husband can make at least one of those trips.

Smart move. FYI... for comparison sake, I would compare park hopping at DLR to just walking across the street (or plaza). Park hopping at WDW is like going from DLR to Knott's. It's about 7 miles or 15 minutes in "good" LA traffic. The distance between MK and AK is about the same - a bit less between the other parks.

Thanks for the reminder as to why park hopping won't be included in my trip haha. I wouldn't even call that "hopping," I'd call it leaping.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

My son's gf is finishing Vet school and while she will have the DVM, she will decades of payments ahead. Some people are surprised that it costs as much to become an animal doctor as it does a human doctor. LOL Hopefully her rotations will fall within our vacation time so she can go with us(our gift to her for graduating)!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom