California Photos

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
View attachment 186616

Greetings DLR forum denizens. I'm using this post to introduce myself. I'm 59 year old guy from Northern California. Northern enough that we think of San Francisco as being on the central coast. The only Disney Parks I've been to are DL and DCA, but my husband, a legacy runner at DLR, and I are planning a trip to Disneyland Parc Paris this September, where he will run the half-marathon, and I won't.

I'm not really a cute character kind of guy. My moniker is in honor of my father-in-law, who long ago donned the Practical Pig costume at Disneyland, among other jobs there. He's in very poor, and diminishing health now, and I wanted to pay him tribute.

I've been reading this forum for a couple of years now, and I don't have the depth of experience with Disney that so many of you have, nor the degree of historical knowledge, but of the sites I've been reading, I like the group here the best. I have been making more frequent trips to DLR over the past twenty years and have managed to develop a few opinions.;)

The picture that I hope I've been successful in attaching is one I took in my backyard up here in Humboldt County, California, near the coast.

Welcome to the forum.

You're almost in Oregon! I considered attending Humboldt State for college. It's so beautiful up there.

Your photo is gorgeous. Please share more when you can! And God bless you and your father.

Practical Pig

Thank you Raven for the welcome, and your well wishes. I appreciate them.

You may find that my opinions are less in line with your own than some others, but I want you to know that I fully respect your positions, and your admirable passion for the Disneyland of your own ideals. I will post another local Humboldt photo soon, when I find it.

Practical Pig

Carson Mansion.jpg

This is the Carson Mansion in Eureka, California. Here's the Wiki on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Mansion

I was slightly trespassing up the driveway when I took this photo, and what you can't see in the shadows of the awning is a teenage doorman starting to worry if he was going to have to deal with me. I gave him no further cause.

Curious Constance

Practical Pig

While I’m in the neighborhood of Trinidad, California, I’ll add a few more, and then stop flooding the thread.

This a view toward Trinidad Head, overlooking the clothing optional Baker’s Beach:

Trinidad Tangle.jpg

On the seaward side of the head, there is a very short lighthouse. It’s not accessible to the public, but the town built a replica overlooking the harbor to appeal to tourists.

Trinidad Lighthouse.jpg

On top of Trinidad Head, there is a concrete cross, a historical marker placed at the location where in 1775, two Spanish explorers placed a wooden cross claiming the land for Spain. The head shelters the tiny Trinidad bay, first “discovered” by the Portuguese in 1595, and then used by Spanish, Russian, and British ships hunting sea otters. This info is pulled from this Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Head,_California

HeadCross_B&W_Web.jpg

That's all from my little corner of the coast for now.

Antaundra

Practical Pig

Absolutely, Antaundra. Obviously Mystic Manor has branched off from the pure Queen Anne style of the Carson Mansion, but the structural roots of the Manor in the Mansion are clear.

The Wiki article claims that the mansion was also the inspiration for the clock tower on the Main Street railway station at DL, though that seems like a bit of a reach to me. Maybe so. There are certainly similarities, but those features aren't unique to the mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom