California couple taking trip to Disney World 4 first time...Where to stay?

CamiCan

My boyfriend and I are talking our first trip to Disney World in September for 2 weeks. We are trying to decide whether to stay at a Value Resort on property and rely on the busses or stay off property and rent a car or take shuttles from the off-property site. We plan on also doing 2 days at universal, one day at Sea World, one day at Kennedy Space Center, and one day at Coco Beach which we will need a rental car for anyway. Other than extra magic hours and busses, are there other advantages to staying on property. We are looking for a comfortable place to sleep and not so much into a fancy hotel.

About me, I'm 22 and an annual pass holder at Disneyland. My bf is 25 and will tolerate Disneyland twice a year so as not as into it as I am. Will Disney World hold more interest for him because of Epcot and more sciency stuff? He's an engineer and also a geek and I'm a college student. My classes resume on September 22nd so we're going from September 5 through September 20.

Anyone have any tips for us to make the most of our trip? Do you recommend that we stay on site?

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Well, staying offsite relying on the offsite shuttles completely kills any argument against using on property buses. They tend to run less frequently, on a set schedule, and may share between multiple hotels. If you do stay offsite, remember you need to factor in $15 (or whatever it has gone up to) per day for parking. Does the offsite savings get wiped out when you add in the rental and parking? Depends on the prices you find.

If you do choose to stay onsite, you can rent cars from several places on property (Swolphin/Car Care Center) as well as most of the hotels within walking distance of DTD. The price may be slightly higher, but you could get away with only renting for the days you need it, so may save money that way.

Staying onsite does let you book your FP+ reservations earlier than if you stay offsite, as long as you pre-buy your tickets (separately or part of a package). You also get MagicBands for free (if those catch your fancy). There are other trivial things, like resort package delivery as well. And if you do happen to partake in something like trying to drink around the world, WDW buses get you home in one piece.

It really comes down to what you want to do/when you plan to do it. Having a car means you can go to off property restaurants, which are usually cheaper than eating on property. But if you plan on doing park open to close, then you may end up eating in park anyways. Some people swear by staying on property and being fully immersed in the WDW experience, others prefer not being trapped.

My suggestion, run the numbers and see what works for you.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Are you going this year or next year?
I know September discounts for this year are already over and without them staying on-site isn't worth it, imo.
If you are going next year then I would take advantage of free dining on site. Tons of savings there.

Between the parks & hotel... parking fees definitely add up. I would go with whichever option is the cheapest but those off-site shuttles... I would not recommend, definitely get a car for your entire stay. Or get a rental house... some as low as $85 a night with a private pool.

Also I would recommend if you plan on seeing Harry Potter and don't want to wait hours to ride, to stay on-site at Universal. Cabana Bay is brand new, cheap, and offers early entry to Diagon Alley. Has a great pool & bowling alley. Plus they are currently running an offer "stay longer and save" so you could stay on-site for your Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space, and Cocoa Beach days for less than $80 a night.

Upvote 0

CamiCan

Original Poster
We are going next month so we need to make the reservations fast (maybe even tonight). Think we're gonna stay at the All-Stars-Music Resort (the cheapest one) just to have more flexibility if we want to do different things or if he wants to come back early (I'm much more of a Disney fan than he is). We don't want to rent two cars but it seems like the property busses go pretty often. We think we'll do all the parks over the first week and rent the car the second week to do off site stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redsky89

As far as staying on Disney property I personally like the value resorts. The buses are a great way to get around and the resorts are fun. I would stay on Disney property but thats coming from a Disney enthusiast. As far as your trips to Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach I can say some things cause I live 10 miles from Cocoa Beach and very close to the Space Center. I work for FedEx and my route occasionally sends me to Cocoa Beach so I know it very well.

When you go to the beach park in the parking garage next to the Ron Jon Surf Shop thats attached to the Four Points Hotel cause its free and safe. The Ron Jon shop there is the worlds largest. And across the street is a Irish Pub on the corner of 520 and A1A which are the main roads there that is pretty neat. Ive never been in the Kennedy Space Center itself but just seeing it from the outside is a sight to behold. Also when you head to the beach eat at Port Canaveral just north of Cocoa Beach. Cool restaurants right on the water where the cruise ships are and its right off 528 which you will take from Orlando to the beach.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

We don't want to rent two cars but it seems like the property busses go pretty often.

Buses should run approx every 20 mins. May be faster or slower, but that is their goal. I don't see any need to rent two cars, especially with the upcharge you will have to pay to get one in your name since you are under 25.

Upvote 0

CamiCan

Original Poster
Buses should run approx every 20 mins. May be faster or slower, but that is their goal. I don't see any need to rent two cars, especially with the upcharge you will have to pay to get one in your name since you are under 25.

That sucks about the extra charges. I've had my DL since the week of my 16th bday and have a spotless driving record. Since we do need the car for off site stuff, we would prefer to take turns driving but my bf is going to take on all of it to save those surcharge fees. All of the stuff is within an hours drive anyway except for Clearwater Beach.

Upvote 0

Aquira

That sucks about the extra charges. I've had my DL since the week of my 16th bday and have a spotless driving record. Since we do need the car for off site stuff, we would prefer to take turns driving but my bf is going to take on all of it to save those surcharge fees. All of the stuff is within an hours drive anyway except for Clearwater Beach.
I agree that the fees are silly. It should be based on driving history, not age. I've seen just as many cautious young people as I have reckless middle aged drivers.

Upvote 0

harryk

I recommend the Boardwalk since it is within walking distance of World Showcase/EPCOT & Hollywood Studios.
The transportation offered is excellent and if you want to use the monorail - that is available just on the other side of EPCOT. Many, many places to dine are offered.

Upvote 0

Disney Shib

I adore the Art of Animation. We stayed in a Little Mermaid room which was reasonably priced. The food in the food court was great and the little bar near the pool was awesome as well.

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

I agree about staying on property and using Disney's bus system. We love Disney's resorts & buses - plus, if you stay on-property, you can use Disney's Magical Express from the airport to your resort, at no charge, so no rental car needed for that. The property is very large and it's really nice to get on a cool bus, sit back (especially at the end of the day when we're really tired), and leave the driving to them - even if it requires a few minutes wait (at least in our opinion).
As someone suggested, there are a couple of places on property where you get a rental car for when you need one (& they will pick you up an drop you off at your resort), and if you plan to make your days off-property consecutively, it might save you money to rent for several days at once, rather than several individual days.
Also, I would suggest checking on whether you will encounter any toll roads on your routes to other places - not a nice surprise if you aren't prepared with the necessary cash.

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a Wonderful time!!!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Are you going this year or next year?
I know September discounts for this year are already over and without them staying on-site isn't worth it, imo.
If you are going next year then I would take advantage of free dining on site. Tons of savings there.

Between the parks & hotel... parking fees definitely add up. I would go with whichever option is the cheapest but those off-site shuttles... I would not recommend, definitely get a car for your entire stay. Or get a rental house... some as low as $85 a night with a private pool.

Also I would recommend if you plan on seeing Harry Potter and don't want to wait hours to ride, to stay on-site at Universal. Cabana Bay is brand new, cheap, and offers early entry to Diagon Alley. Has a great pool & bowling alley. Plus they are currently running an offer "stay longer and save" so you could stay on-site for your Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space, and Cocoa Beach days for less than $80 a night.
I thought the main reason people weren't staying at Cabana Bay was that you do not get early entrance. Has that changed?

Upvote 0

SagamoreBeach

I agree about staying on property and using Disney's bus system. We love Disney's resorts & buses - plus, if you stay on-property, you can use Disney's Magical Express from the airport to your resort, at no charge, so no rental car needed for that. The property is very large and it's really nice to get on a cool bus, sit back (especially at the end of the day when we're really tired), and leave the driving to them - even if it requires a few minutes wait (at least in our opinion).
As someone suggested, there are a couple of places on property where you get a rental car for when you need one (& they will pick you up an drop you off at your resort), and if you plan to make your days off-property consecutively, it might save you money to rent for several days at once, rather than several individual days.
Also, I would suggest checking on whether you will encounter any toll roads on your routes to other places - not a nice surprise if you aren't prepared with the necessary cash.

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a Wonderful time!!!
I might be able to count on one hand the number of times I was able to get on a bus at the end of the day and sit back. That's why I started with the car rentals...the buses were horrendous what with the crowds and the waiting at the close of day. Never a seat...and hanging on to those poles while the bus feels like its about to tip over? Nope, not for me.
-T

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

I might be able to count on one hand the number of times I was able to get on a bus at the end of the day and sit back. That's why I started with the car rentals...the buses were horrendous what with the crowds and the waiting at the close of day. Never a seat...and hanging on to those poles while the bus feels like its about to tip over? Nope, not for me.
-T

That is a good point, the buses can be pretty full and we have had to stand more than a few times, but even after numerous trips, we are still more comfortable leaving the navigating-the-roads to the bus driver. I wasn't thinking about the end of the day buses because we usually go during less crowded times and rarely make it that close to park close, so the buses aren't as packed when we leave - though we do still have to stand occasionally.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom