Cab, Limo Drivers Stage Protest At OIA (MCO)

MickeyTigg

One More Thought...

I know I said I left this discussion a while ago....but here's a final thought from me...

My main contention has always been that the towncar/cab companies had a legitimate complaint on how DME was orginially working based on what I had heard that the original contract was worded. Fine...they complained to MCO and got them to enforce the rules that they worked under and it was reported that DME was to work under.

Anything beyond that...is just whining. I'll give the DME supporters that...what the they're doing now is nothing more than that...corporate whining. DME is not going away...at least not anytime soon. DME has a contract with Mears and I would suppose with MCO. MCO is not going to rip it up after 6 months with 4.5 years to go (I heard that the Mears contract was for 5 years...unsure of the one with MCO) just because these companies are whining.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning of the thread....is it the independent drivers and the smaller cap companies doing the complaining? I'm guessing it is since we don't hear about companies like Quicksilver, Happy Limo or Tiffany complaining...I hear about cabbies complaining. Do I have this right?

Anyhow...to me...they've already gotten what I would consider justice by making it a level playing field (at least what I would consider one). At this point, James had it exactly right...this is where the companies do some creative marketing....where the stroke their existing customer base...their loyal customers (like me) to keep us using them and then reach out with better service, the personal touch, etc. to either make the price you pay for the service worth it to people.

This should be a challenge to these companies...not a moment to throw a temper tantrum.

wannab@dis

TiggerRPh said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning of the thread....is it the independent drivers and the smaller cap companies doing the complaining? I'm guessing it is since we don't hear about companies like Quicksilver, Happy Limo or Tiffany complaining...I hear about cabbies complaining. Do I have this right?

Welcome back to the fray! :wave:

Some of the towncar companies are complaining, but only about the "free" cost to the guests. They say they can't compete on price alone and that is true. But, many people that took towncars will likely continue since they want the service that a towncar provides (including me). That's the way for competition to win a pricing war in a free market.

Also, I think the backlash from the whining will further erode the customer base of the cabbies. They are only hurting themselves because, as you said, DME isn't going away very soon.

MickeyTigg

wannab@dis said:
Welcome back to the fray! :wave:

Some of the towncar companies are complaining, but only about the "free" cost to the guests. They say they can't compete on price alone and that is true. But, many people that took towncars will likely continue since they want the service that a towncar provides (including me). That's the way for competition to win a pricing war in a free market.

Also, I think the backlash from the whining will further erode the customer base of the cabbies. They are only hurting themselves because, as you said, DME isn't going away very soon.

Well...that's just wrong then. You are totally right in both of these statements....my God are you and I agreeing on this?

:eek:

I'm with you...I'll continue to use towncar companies. These companies should be marketing to show that the fees they charge (and maybe this will drive prices down) are worth it...that you "get what you pay for".

Maybe you and I need to go to these guys and present to them this marketing plan.

:animwink:

CRO-Magnum

I only share this because it helps answer a question

on the contract. According to a business contact at Disney, the contract does require an advanced reservation. However, the term advanced reservation is NOT DEFINED within the contract. Therefore the interpretation of the term typically falls to industry standard practices. Since in the hospitality industry people make advanced reservations for the rooms but not for free airport shuttles, the advanced reservation clause is interpredted to refer to the hotel, not the shuttle service. Disney did comply with the contract as it required a HOTEL reservation for use of DME (i.e. someone without a hotel reservation would not be transported). MCO claims they interpreted the statement differently now that there has been an outcry, , despite detailed discussions, and Disney agreed to change their process for the public relations value recognize the number of walk-ups was very small and not always easy to accomodate. Most importanty, nowhere in the contract is Disney required to get an advanced reservation for the service OTHER THAN the hotel reservation.

In compliance with the no solicitation rule, if someone approaches a DME representative and asks about transportation, Disney has the right to direct them to Mears.

Supposedly, and this is from an executive who is not responsible for DME, due to the anticipated volume, the ability of Disney to cancel the contract if certain metrics were not met, and to MINIMIZE THE IMPACT TO LOCAL TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS, MCO would ONLY ALLOW Disney to operate on ONE SIDE of the airport only.

Regarding level 3 access, Disney's position is that it was never intended to be a long term solution but only during the launch of the service to simplify the process for guests which MCO reluctantly agreed to.

I can't say all this is true, but then I'm tired of reading LEWISC rant and rave about the statements of chauffeur attorneys as if they don't have an agenda and always tell the truth. As someone closely involved in contract negotiation, most things are subject to interpretation.

MickeyTigg

CRO-Magnum said:
Regarding level 3 access, Disney's position is that it was never intended to be a long term solution but only during the launch of the service to simplify the process for guests which MCO reluctantly agreed to.

Thank you CRO....

I find this paragraph interesting though....I suppose we would need an interpretation of what is defined as "launch". To me, launch would be a few weeks to a month...not 4-5 months.

I guess this is what happens when you allow a contract to be negotiated without all the key terms being defined.

wannab@dis

Thanks for the info Magnum. My company is in the middle of some contract negotiations with another company and it's been a nightmare. It's back and forth, defining every point, give and take and nobody but the lawyers seem to win. :rolleyes:

Based on these experiences, I can attest to contract interpretation being a difficult process and each side will find reasons for their actions.

CRO-Magnum

That's where Disney probably exercised some muscle

TiggerRPh said:
I suppose we would need an interpretation of what is defined as "launch". To me, launch would be a few weeks to a month...not 4-5 months.QUOTE]

from their legal department, and I'm sure it's not the only place. A smart contract would have give a timeframe or metric (x daily runs, y daily passengers, etc) to define launch. The stronger firm is always going to push for language which gives them the freedom to interpret the contract how they want. And even if it was specified, Disney would probably have pushed the limits.

Remember that the companies with the strongest legal departments based on courtroom victories are Disney and IBM.

Now to put this one, and myself, to bed...

imagineer boy

Well, now would be the perfect time for yet another barbeque. :lookaroun
Shiskabobs anyone?

Gosh, I'm having to start alot of barbeques around here lately. :lol:

CRO-Magnum

Alot more than I thought I would

TiggerRPh said:
CRO....I love your signature. When you answered the phone that way...how many people did you freak out?

In CRO at the time everyone had a different "phone name". If there was a Bob, you couldn't be Robert, or Rob, or Bobby. That way if a guest complained and had a first name Disney would know precisely who it was (assuming you got the name right). On one of the last few days of training they ask you for a phone name. My first and middle names are common and although there were very few men working in CRO (less than 15% of the population), both names were gone. So trying to be humorous I said, "Hey, how about Walt?". My class manager looked at me, smiled and replied she thought that would be great and to her recollection they never had a Walt. I protested but it was over.

So I was Walt. I would say 2 out of 3 calls I could hear it caught the person off guard, and 1 out of 3 calls I was asked a question (after a while I kept tabs in my information binder which I still have). Being a disneyphile I knew everything about the parks: I able to tell a guest in the Magic Kingdom precisely where they were and where the closest garbage can was (they were testing to see if we had hidden cameras and walked away convinced).

I received so many guest compliment letters, which were rare enough that Management showcased them in the lobby, that they would no longer post my letters because it was becoming a dis-incentive for other cast members. I had fourteen in 7 months by the time I left; we had been told it might take years to get our first. I was accused of soliciting them (I didn't) and on top I had two referrals from Disney Resorts for exemplary work. Once I got a reputation I could get free meals and free rooms at most of the hotels which was important when I was making $200/week after taxes and my apartment was $550.

I have subsequently been told that after I left (I was there for a spring semester and summer from college but not on an internship program) they retired the name Walt.

Hopefully I lived up to the name.

GrimGhost

CRO-Magnum said:
It is a level field. Everyone has access and the right to compete. Disney has as much right as any taxi/limo driver to shuttle people to and from the Disney property. Is it in the best interests of the consumer to have to pay for a ride someone else is willing to provide for free? I haven't heard taxi/limo drivers in Vegas complaining about hotel courtesy limos.

The cab drivers have had indications for YEARS that Disney, Orlando, and Orange County wanted to improve transportation from the airport to Disney property. Instead of being proactive and lowering their rates, improving their service, and marketing the cab/limo drivers essentially raped a captive public. As one who often travels to Orlando on business at or near WDW I avoid cabs and limos like the plague.

This is simply free market economics. Lower cost providers are always welcome competing on cost and driving competition, something which has been sorely lacking in this space in Orlando.

What would they be saying if the light rail or monorail projects to the airport materialized?

I have no sympathy. Nobody protects my job arbitrarily because I have children to feed and a mortgage.
Could not have been said better!!!

...And I just read your last post about getting the name walt, the letters etc., May I say I bet you would have made Uncle Walt proud and you embody what we all love about Disney, Thanks!!

lewisc

CRO-Magnum said:

I can't say all this is true, but then I'm tired of reading LEWISC rant and rave about the statements of chauffeur attorneys as if they don't have an agenda and always tell the truth. As someone closely involved in contract negotiation, most things are subject to interpretation.

You're right you can't say all of it is true because all you're doing is quoting third hand information from one side.

I'm tired of people posting rumors and third hand information as facts The lawyer for MCO agreed with the livery owners interpretation. I posted a link. Disney originally stated advance reservations would be required. It's in the original press release and right in the section of their website that guests link to when they make an online reservation. I posted links. Some of Disney's internal information said walk ups would be accommodated but that wasn't put in any of the official information that was released to the general public. If Disney was so sure of their interperation they wouldn't have kept this policy a secret.

You even agree the contract says advance reservations are required. Hotel airports don't even accept reservations for their shuttle. Hotel shuttles at MCO are in both the A and B side of the airport. Hotel shuttles don't send out special luggage tags. Hotel shuttles don't tell guests to make advance reservations.

CRO-Magnum

Reminds me of the way the UAW approaches "negotiations"

lewisc said:
You're right you can't say all of it is true because all you're doing is quoting third hand information from one side.

Oh. That's it. Ok. I didn't realize something was automatically true if said by an attorney and reported by the press. My bad.

lewisc said:
I'm tired of people posting rumors and third hand information as facts

Again I recognize my error in not realizing that if there is a hyperlink then the presented information is irrefutable. My humble appologies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom