Cab, Limo Drivers Stage Protest At OIA (MCO)

Carolwood

Original Poster
Sounds like the cabbies and limos may be loosing some of there steam...read on

Cab, Limo Drivers Stage Protest At Orlando International Airport

POSTED: 4:11 pm EDT October 17, 2005
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Finding a cab or limo at the airport was supposed to be more difficult Monday. Dozens of drivers decided to protest an agreement with Disney that they claim is hurting their business and families.

Disney's Magic Express buses are big, nice and new. Plus, they are free and they have some people crying foul.
"We want Disney to keep their nose out of the transportation business," said limo owner Amir Sharif.
At issue is the deal that Orlando International Airport struck with Disney and its subcontractor Mears, a deal that allows passenger's to forego rental cars and cabs.
"Our problem, all these guys are starving, Disney is loading 5,000 rides a day," said protest organizer Edward Korgan.
The rides aren't cheap in one of the cabs. In fact, it's one of the best fares a driver can get, $50 to $70 each way. Instead, thousands are riding for free.
"They need to stop that, because people have families. They need to support their families, too," said Sharif.
But tourist Heather Marfitamo, mother of two, said her family has tried their way and likes the new way.
"If they could be as easy and as carefree as this all is, that would be awesome. You wait 10-20 minutes, you spend half your vacation waiting in line or to get your cab or your car," Marfitamo said.
Those involved in the protest realized that the only impact would be if people waiting for cabs couldn't find one. With more drivers taking to the streets Monday than the protest, that may be a difficult task.
A spokesperson for Mears said they are just a subcontractor, but added that the success so far of the Magic Express will keep the program running. Disney did not return calls for comment.

imagineer99

I honestly don't have sympathy...

These people wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for Disney in the first place.

As a privately owned service provider, Disney has EVERY RIGHT to create any particular perk they want to. Magical Express in an incentive for people to choose a Disney resort. It is not Disney's responsibility to make sure that competing companies stay in business.

Is it sad that so many jobs are lost? Yes. Is Disney doing anything wrong? NO.

sheilaro

I agree. And as stated in a prior thread, not everyone is staying at a Disney resort. Maybe the cabbies and Lincoln Towncar drivers should work out a deal with the other surrounding hotels/parks. There's certainly more than one market to be had.

Laura

Premium Member
imagineer99 said:

As a privately owned service provider, Disney has EVERY RIGHT to create any particular perk they want to. Magical Express in an incentive for people to choose a Disney resort. It is not Disney's responsibility to make sure that competing companies stay in business.

I've said the same thing before - about them only having jobs in the first place because of Disney's impact on tourism in central Florida.

There are other airports in the Orlando area - such as Sanford. If these people's families are so hungry maybe they ought to switch airports. We paid $200 for a cab ride round trip from Sanford-Disney-Sanford.

disneyplanet

agree disagree

I agree with Disney, it has the right to do what it wants.Also I agree that they should not be able to solicit up in the main condors. I for my self think there was too many bad cabbies out there and this is a weeding out, as in any business.]And that yes it will make it hard for a small guy to start. But if your service is good and you can place just one cheep add or blurb on the internet you can make some money. Truthfully I dont like the buses I hate crowded busses (I will spend enough time with people who dont bath in lines < HAHA,only kidding) (why I Like off season). I like the limo service becuase it does not make 10 stops before my stop and I can make a public stop also.

Timmay

Here is why I have a problem taking them seriously...

Our problem, all these guys are starving

If you are trying to make a case, please represent yourself just a bit better than that.

MickeyTigg

I am somewhat sympathetic to the drivers, but only to a point. I thik it should be a level field....the DME should only be for reserved riders...no recruiting of add-ons.

Mears already got a bulk of the shuttle rides because of their cooperation with Disney...they never protested that.

To the cabbies...I don't see how DME is much different than the Towncar companies.

Will this flush out the cabbies/companies that were touch and go before...yeah. Will it be good...hard to say at this point.

I think the good towncar companies will survive....they'll emphasize the personal service, grocery stops, and having your luggage delivered on time with you...and the direct service.

I will attest to the fact that a lot of the towncar companies have a loyal clientel...I've gotten spoiled...I like the service and will never use DME...but I won't use a cab either except to get to places after I've already gotten to WDW...not from the airport.

One thing to note...one cab company will survive and it's one of the bigger ones...Yellow/Checker...they're owned by Mears....so I think they'll stick around.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
You know, even if they win and DME gets kicked out of the airport (which it won't) I'll never use a livery service in Orlando again. Its either rental car or DME for me.

MickeyTigg

Thrawn said:
You know, even if they win and DME gets kicked out of the airport (which it won't) I'll never use a livery service in Orlando again. Its either rental car or DME for me.

What happened to your personal driver...had to let them go?

JimboJones123

imagineer99 said:

Should disney shut down all their hotels as well since they take business away from other orlando hotels??

How about all the business Taco Bell loses by having food courts at the hotels -- or even worse -- the money shell loses from the on site gas stations??? YIKES-- those disney guys are such jerks...

MinnieSummer

ANd if, as I've heard, DME becomes a payment service after the Celebration is over, the field will be level again. Besides, as mentioned, WDW isn't the only thing going in Orlando. The convention business in that town is huge and there is Universal and Sea World as well as hundreds if not thousands of non-Disney hotels. If they can't make a living on those fares, and the WDW visitors who choose to not use DME, then they are doing something wrong.

jvenegas

MinnieSummer said:
ANd if, as I've heard, DME becomes a payment service after the Celebration is over, the field will be level again. Besides, as mentioned, WDW isn't the only thing going in Orlando. The convention business in that town is huge and there is Universal and Sea World as well as hundreds if not thousands of non-Disney hotels. If they can't make a living on those fares, and the WDW visitors who choose to not use DME, then they are doing something wrong.

I really don't believe that DME will become a paid service once the Celebration is over. This service was initiated by WDW to attract guests to their hotels and away from the myriad of other hotels that have been springing up all over Orlando.

I for one stayed at a Disney Resort during my last trip on July/05:D , having stayed off property for my last three trips, because of DME. So I really don't think Disney will risk losing the resort business (which I think is hugely profitable for them and easily compensates their investment in DME) by charging for DME.:wave:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
jvenegas said:
I really don't believe that DME will become a paid service once the Celebration is over. This service was initiated by WDW to attract guests to their hotels and away from the myriad of other hotels that have been springing up all over Orlando.

I for one stayed at a Disney Resort during my last trip on July/05:D , having stayed off property for my last three trips, because of DME. So I really don't think Disney will risk losing the resort business (which I think is hugely profitable for them and easily compensates their investment in DME) by charging for DME.:wave:

The point was not to get guests to the resorts, but to keep the guests as on-property captives for the duration of their stay. If you use DME, you can't get to Universal or Sea World or anywhere off property for that matter without getting a cab or a ride of some sort. And therefore, you are spending all of your money at Disney, not 90% of it. All your meals, all your theme park days, all your souvenirs, etc.

But I will agree with you that I believe it will remain free.

PhilosophyMagic

MinnieSummer said:
And if, as I've heard, DME becomes a payment service after the Celebration is over, the field will be level again.

I certainly HOPE DME remains free... on the other hand, even if it did become a payment service, as long as Disney advertises it on their brochures, etc., one would think that nearly everyone would continue to choose it, unless they raise prices absurdly.

MinniesSummer said:
Besides, as mentioned, WDW isn't the only thing going in Orlando. ... If they can't make a living on those fares, and the WDW visitors who choose to not use DME, then they are doing something wrong.

Also, even though the cab companies have other destinations, they still lost 5,000 passengers a day, and they had figured that number in to decide their employees, expenses, etc. (I'm not siding with them- just pointing that out as their reasons.) However, Disney announced DME long before it began. One would think that the cab companies would have gotten more ready for it.

imagineer99 said:

i couldnt of said it any better myself

I find this pretty funny. If their protest is successful, then there are FEWER cabs available, making cab service WORSE, which makes DME MORE attractive in comparision. Yeah, that'll accomplish your goal...

I agree with other posters here - tough break for the cab/livery companies, but that's life - they wouldn't have a job in the first place without WDW. Time to think outside the box:
-Improve your service
-Offer perks DME does not
-Sign deals with other area hotels and/or Universal

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom