Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

truecoat

Not sure what you mean. What does DL have besides Blue Bayou, Carnation Café, Rancho del Zocalo, River Bell Terrace and maybe Café Orleans as compared to Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Skipper Canteen, Liberty Tree, Diamond Horseshoe, Plaza and Tony's? While I agree that MK is my least favorite park to eat in, there is much more available.

That fried chicken sandwich at River Belle Terrace was quite good.

peter11435

You are correct it was originally intended for DLP,

But it WAS pitched for Anaheim and Orlando. Once again TDO yelled and screamed about the price.

It was due to TDO's malign influence that Tony Baxter was benched because he kept pitching 'expensive' quality attractions.

This is no different than 7DMT where WDI pitched an E-ticket version with longer track and more show scenes. But TDO insisted on the Barnstormer version.
Do you have proof that it was pitched for Anaheim and Orlando? If Orlando turned it down due to cost why wasn't it built in Paris or Anaheim? Do you ever have proof for anything you say?

MerlinTheGoat

You are correct it was originally intended for DLP,

But it WAS pitched for Anaheim and Orlando. Once again TDO yelled and screamed about the price.

It was due to TDO's malign influence that Tony Baxter was benched because he kept pitching 'expensive' quality attractions.
Do you have any source for this? I haven't found any information to indicate that Baxter's Mermaid was ever seriously pitched or considered for either DCA 2.0 or FLE. Even if Tony did remind them he once made that pitch.

Tony Baxter lost power a long time ago. The last major project he headed with a lot of influence was Indiana Jones Adventure in 1995. The only projects he's been involved in since then have been renovations or overlays, severely limited or budget cut to hell. It sounds like he's made enemies in both Imagineering (Tom Fitzgerald is said to hate him) as well as the Burbank executives (he has publicly criticized executives to their faces). Eisner made a lot of changes to the corporate structure in the early 90s (strategic planning) which tricked down to imagineering. They've been systematically purging talent ever since. I've seen no indication that Orlando had anything to do with Tony's fall from power.

And as far as i've seen mentioned, it is also unknown who called for 7DMT being shortened and made worse. Though i'll take a source for that too if you can produce.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you have any source for this? I haven't found any information to indicate that Baxter's Mermaid was ever seriously pitched or considered for either DCA 2.0 or FLE. Even if Tony did remind them he once made that pitch.

Tony Baxter lost power a long time ago. The last major project he headed with a lot of influence was Indiana Jones Adventure in 1995. The only projects he's been involved in since then have been renovations or overlays, severely limited or budget cut to hell. It sounds like he's made enemies in both Imagineering (Tom Fitzgerald is said to hate him) as well as the Burbank executives (he has publicly criticized executives to their faces). Eisner made a lot of changes to the corporate structure in the early 90s (strategic planning) which tricked down to imagineering. They've been systematically purging talent ever since. I've seen no indication that Orlando had anything to do with Tony's fall from power.

And as far as i've seen mentioned, it is also unknown who called for 7DMT being shortened and made worse. Though i'll take a source for that too if you can produce.

Personally Tony Baxter's assertion that he made the pitch(es) is all the evidence I need. If you want more than a one time WDI VP saying so that's your issue as what does he have to gain seems he had more to lose, Yes he made enemies, The same one Joe Rohde has but unlike Joe Rohde Tony never struck me as politically savvy, as in knowing where the bodies are buried and periodically reminding his enemies of that knowledge.

As to who cut 7DMT from E-ticket to kiddie coaster, There will never be any proof but I suspect the same triumvirate who deep sixed the desperately needed Space Mountain refurb, I.e. Phil Holmes, Meg Crofton and Mike Coldglazier.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but are we going to hear word of the outcome of this from the D23 thingy (...not sure what it is called exactly) this weekend?

mickeyfan5534

I think for the same price you can get the set menu. I've only ever eaten at Walt's on the DP so I can't speak for the value paying out of pocket.
I personally ate at Walt's out of pocket. I did the set menu with wine (and my CM discount helped a bit so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm no pixie duster) and had one of my favorite meals in Paris from it. And the set menu was actually cheaper than a la carte.

MerlinTheGoat

Personally Tony Baxter's assertion that he made the pitch(es) is all the evidence I need. If you want more than a one time WDI VP saying so that's your issue as what does he have to gain seems he had more to lose, Yes he made enemies, The same one Joe Rohde has but unlike Joe Rohde Tony never struck me as politically savvy, as in knowing where the bodies are buried and periodically reminding his enemies of that knowledge.

As to who cut 7DMT from E-ticket to kiddie coaster, There will never be any proof but I suspect the same triumvirate who deep sixed the desperately needed Space Mountain refurb, I.e. Phil Holmes, Meg Crofton and Mike Coldglazier.
We all know of the pitch in the early 90s, but there is literally no evidence that his pitch ever made it past the early 90s as a consideration. He may have brought the idea up to his superiors through the years, but Iger and his associates hate Tony (same with Tom Fitzgerald). They probably vetoing anything he pitched on the spot.

And there's no evidence that Orlando had any involvement in this decision. We know TDO has a reputation for being cheap, but that is honestly not something exclusive to Orlando, it's very much the same with Iger. When it gets down to it, Iger and his immediate associates in California have the final say. According to insiders here such as WDW1974, Cars Land was planned to get a massive budget cut (TDO certainly had nothing to do with that). But John Lasseter was heavily involved and leveraged his political influence to bully them into not doing it.

WDW1974 has said in the past that Tony Baxter does know where bodies are buried (using those exact words in fact), which is why he lasted as long as he did and is still allowed to maintain a "consulting" position and was given a Disney Legend award as opposed to being dishonorable discharged. Any other imagineer would be fired on the spot for talking back to the executives the way Tony has done. Though they did finally effectively get rid of him (he still collects a nice paycheck for that "consulting" position though).

Joe Rohde has managed to remain at WDI largely because he is willing to bite his tongue and play nice with people he doesn't like. Much like Marty Sklar. Joe was allowed a relatively decent degree of control over Animal Kingdom. But he has also since been involved in the Mission Breakout project and shilled it to feed Iger's ego (it's hard to imagine him being very happy with that project behind closed doors).

The final nail in the coffin of Tony's WDI career was probably around D23 a few years ago. Iger presented him a Legend award and Tony (onstage in front of a large audience) looked directly at him and accused him of not bringing Dreamfinder back. That is what he was willing to say in public to the CEO himself while receiving an award in front of a huge public audience. It's clear that he views Iger as toxic, we can only imagine what they said to one another behind closed doors.

Last edited:

BrianLo

DLP counter service is on par with MK (which is not good). TS options are better, and easier to get into.

I'd actually say DLP currently has the worst food of any Dis resort worldwide, dead last on that ranking aspect.

Quick service felt like a lot of bad Americanized food, not something I really want in France. Service speed is wretched. WDS without recalling that they have food in Soundstage 1 honestly feels like a food desert.

Perhaps there are a few great TS, but they are so outrageously expensive for the Canadian dollar that it is a moot point for me.

WDW has just improved so much between AK and DS eateries that I was very impressed with them overall.

Herbie

WDW1974 has said in the past that Tony Baxter does know where bodies are buried (using those exact words in fact), which is why he lasted as long as he did and is still allowed to maintain a "consulting" position and was given a Disney Legend award as opposed to being dishonorable discharged. Any other imagineer would be fired on the spot for talking back to the executives the way Tony has done. Though they did finally effectively get rid of him (he still collects a nice paycheck for that "consulting" position though).

Joe Rohde has managed to remain at WDI largely because he is willing to bite his tongue and play nice with people he doesn't like. Much like Marty Sklar. Joe was allowed a relatively decent degree of control over Animal Kingdom. But he has also since been involved in the Mission Breakout project and shilled it to feed Iger's ego (it's hard to imagine him being very happy with that project behind closed doors).

The final nail in the coffin of Tony's WDI career was probably around D23 a few years ago. Iger presented him a Legend award and Tony (onstage in front of a large audience) looked directly at him and accused him of not bringing Dreamfinder back. That is what he was willing to say in public to the CEO himself while receiving an award in front of a huge public audience. It's clear that he views Iger as toxic, we can only imagine what they said to one another behind closed doors.

All I can find about 'bodies' is a post by fordexplorer regarding Joe Rohde and his knowledge of bodies as well as "Christmas party photos".. I don't know what to make of this.

Nmoody1

I'd actually say DLP currently has the worst food of any Dis resort worldwide, dead last on that ranking aspect.

Quick service felt like a lot of bad Americanized food, not something I really want in France. Service speed is wretched. WDS without recalling that they have food in Soundstage 1 honestly feels like a food desert.

Perhaps there are a few great TS, but they are so outrageously expensive for the Canadian dollar that it is a moot point for me.

WDW has just improved so much between AK and DS eateries that I was very impressed with them overall.

We found the quick service ridiculously slow. One of the biggest problems I found is they funnel everyone from the hotels into the park for breakfast, yet only open one venue to serve. Said venue had 4 very slow coffee machines. It was very poor.

I didn't mind the food quality... for quick service it was standard Disney fare. It's better than it has been in the past. It could be better.

Table service is great. The service was great in the Table service restaurants we visited - and the food was too notch!

Nmoody1

I think Flame Tree is the closest... But not in the Magic Kingdom

Flame tree is a great quick service meal. I pove the food there. Its my go-to everytime. But Bengal BBQ I see as as a snack location. Orlando struggles for good hot snacks you can grab and walk around with. Corn cobs and the chimichangas from.disneyland also spring to mind as great snacks on the go.

MerlinTheGoat

All I can find about 'bodies' is a post by fordexplorer regarding Joe Rohde and his knowledge of bodies as well as "Christmas party photos".. I don't know what to make of this.
According to WDW1974, Tony Baxter knows secrets that Disney executives wouldn't want shared to the public. Hence knowing where the "bodies" are buried so to speak, not literal bodies but rather Tony has dirt on them that he can use as political leverage against his superiors. Here is one of the comments mentioning this-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-seventh-heaven.884731/page-263#post-6169874

This is probably why he lasted as long as he did in the company, and why he was presented a Legends award along with a "consulting" position and still retains a handsome salary. Any other imagineer would have been fired (and many have been).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom