1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Beacon Joe

Beacon Joe Well-Known Member

It's sort of silly looking back at it, but Swiss Family Robinson (the Disneyland attraction and the film) were huge influences on me and my childhood love of bushcraft.

As for Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room, we used to make fun of it as kids (we were from Hawaii and loved to laugh at touristy stuff), but we also never went to DL or DW without watching it once or twice. In some way, the attraction may have had an influence on my adult-years love of listening to Martin Denny and slinging down mai tais.

2. Donaldfan1934

Donaldfan1934 Well-Known Member

As a fan of old school attractions Walt era, it's great to hear that CoP is not on the chopping block along with the Tiki Room, but it's very surprising nonetheless. I have trouble believing Disney would be worried to close anything considering how apathetic they've been towards these type of concerns. If they ingnore complaints about closing an E-Ticket attraction like ToT at DCA, then why would they care about something like that happening to a relatively smaller extent with CoP?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    MarkTwain, ford91exploder and Mike S like this.
  3. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

It is still a horrible idea... PLease! we are already over saturated with meet and greet crap. Let's get some NEW attractions.. and no more overlays...the parks need additions...not just reworking older rides and not adding to the attraction count...

jmb2676, Bandini, BPL and 18 others like this.
  4. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

Disney is just as ignorant and arrogant as the CEO guy in Avatar.

"You throw a stick in the air around here it falls on some sacred fern, for Christ's sake!"

5. truecoat

truecoat Well-Known Member

Japan knows how to market their parks.

6. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

For Nemo and Friends Searider they also overplayed one of their monorails. They go all out there.

7. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

It's all about boosting MARGIN for a few quarters until Iger is ready to bail...

Lets Respect likes this.
  8. Nubs70

Nubs70 Well-Known Member

da Vinci's drawings are simplistic and laughable compared to the technology of today.

9. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Seriously, I have never seen anyone get up and walk out in WDW and I know that the Tiki Room worshipers in DL would probably hang anyone that did that from the nearest tree if they so much as looked toward the door. I have to wonder what DL and WDW some of you folks go too.

10. RobbinsDad

RobbinsDad Well-Known Member

11. Goofyernmost

Well, yes and no! It is never happening until it is actually happening. So far it is still GMR just the way it has always been. I may well be changed out, but, it hasn't happened yet, it is just that we have collectively, and possibly with good reason, accepted the statements of others as fact. Could be, but, who knows, things change everyday.

12. The real rescueranger

The real rescueranger Active Member

Wow, really? Exaggerate much? I myself have walked out of Tiki. My special needs sister in law was scared by it and I had ti take her out. So, there is at least one time. I have to believe there are plenty of other people who have as well. When you use hyperbole like that, no one takes you seriously.

13. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Yet they form the foundation of many modern technologies so does their simplicity make them any less significant. No it does not

The Tiki birds are the foundation of AA's. Which of course disney is deprecating in in favor of screenz because screenz are CHEAP!!!!

Bandini and Nubs70 like this.
  14. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Wow, that made my ovaries ache, and I'm a dude.

15. Goofyernmost

OK, so since I have never seen anyone walk out (without cause) and you have walked out (with cause) I'm the one exaggerating about how people commonly walk out of the show because it is so bad? What hyperbole are you talking about? If you seriously think that the comment about the people at DL hanging someone for even looking at the door, then you kinda need to work on you humor receptors. Going back to the occasional departure, which I honestly do not remember ever seeing, is hardly an exaggeration, it is fact. I would, however, understand someone leaving for a good reason and it has nothing to do with popularity.

ABQ, gmajew and GoofGoof like this.
  16. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

^^^This. I don't think very many people walk out of Tiki Birds because the show is bad. Maybe kids being freightened or needing to use the bathroom, but not just for poor show. There may be a group of people who skip it altogether because it's a show and not a ride. For some people ride count is all that matters.

Kman101 and Andrew C like this.
  17. The Duck

The Duck Well-Known Member

As much as I love the Tiki Birds, I have to admit that I've seen people walk out mid-show. It was the late 70's/early 80's during the now deleted "Offenbach" number which some felt was the dullest part of the show. When DLR refurbed their show, this section was also deleted.

jensenrick and brb1006 like this.
  18. MMFanCipher

MMFanCipher Active Member

Probably won't get back to Walt Disney World for 3 to 4 years and I would LOVE to be able to go see the TiKi birds then! I have the
    song The birds all sing and the flowers croon as the ring tone for my daughter!

willtravel likes this.
  19. zakattack99

zakattack99 Well-Known Member

Following up on this thought with another ignrant and arrogant CEO over at United I heard this on the radio yesterday afternoon:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39675265

Basicly he is no longer in the running to be CEO and chairman of the board something that was supposed to happen soon. They are also rewriting their executive compensation package so that it ties into and is directly affected by guest experience.

Personally sounds like something people around here have been calling for for years, and want to see at Disney. I would be interested to see if this works and would like to see it implemented at DIS as well.

Just sad to see that it takes a media disaster to make serious change in the culture at the top while the bottom rots out in the meantime. That being said if someone needs to volunteer as tribute to be "reaccomidated" to the next available monorail to make this happen... Well then I guess I'm your guy lol.

20. MarkTwain

MarkTwain Well-Known Member

For that matter, how about just a Moana makeover of the Tiki Room? Keep all of the birds and some of the main songs, but add a few live character performers from Moana and have the cast sing a few songs from the film. Throw in some cool projection-mapped effects and an animatronic Hei Hei that pops up and squawks periodically... keep it classy and you could really have something that pleases everybody.

EDIT: rereading your original post, maybe that's more or less what you had in mind.

CanadianGordon and jensenrick like this.