Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

GVentola

I just started a collection of Tiki Bird pins. Got Jose on my desk right now; the pin has him saying "Where time flies, but the birds stand still." I would be upset if they got rid of this childhood favorite. It seems like just yesterday that they rescued it from Iago and Zazu. (The ironic thing being that Iago is my all time fave Disney character. My room is filled with plushes, pictures, and figurines of Iago! But I loved the original Tiki Room more.) But I always say, Disney World, like Las Vegas, has no regard for history. It's always building bigger but not necessarily better. Oh, well, rumor's probably true. When "Under New Management" played there, I took vacations to Disneyland and was able to see the original again. (Um, not that I took vacations to Disneyland just to see the Tiki Room!) Plus I have the soundtrack to the original original show on CD (thanks to Randy Thornton). And hopefully, in the future if this rumor proves true, I'll also have tons of Tiki Room pins!

clemmo

The remains of the Tropical Serenade aka The Enchanted Tiki Room (aka a Top 10 Fanboi nostalgia lovefest) looks like it is about to fly the coop for good.

According to multiple sources, the attraction, which saw a reprieve a few years ago when it went back to a shortened version of the original 1971 show from the poorly received Under New Management update following a fire that damaged the facility, is on the chopping block and very, very likely to leave.

At this point, I will only call this a rumor (but the gondola system is a rumor and happening, the Rat ride at EPCOT is only a rumor and is happening, the Speedway removal is a rumor and is happening, the new DVC at CBR is a rumor and is happening and the Star Wars themed BOUTIQUE resort experience is a rumor and is most definitely happening).

As to what will replace it, that is unclear at present and one source even suggests it could remain with a new Stitch overlay reusing the pricey AA just like TDL has, but I don't see that.

And with other plans for Adventureland percolating, and Disney having no care for its past beyond shilling merchandise and D23 events and the like, I would expect Jose and Fritz and Company to fly away for good in the near future.
Star wars resort confirmed? I'm assuming it would be near DHS with some kind of special access or whatever at an absurd price. Shocked they wouldn't want this for 2020 or 2021 when the park has a massive surge in visits (if they do they'd have to break ground by next year). Also I see you didn't talk about GMR rumor being definitely happening are you still hearing thats confirmed?

jt04

That whole island of buildings could be rethought except for the new Jungle Cruise restaurant IMO. Hate losing attractions but the current offerings have a limited shelf life frankly. Tiki and Bears are half of what they once were.

On the bright side, Tiki can live on at Disneyland as a Walt original. The bears can be repurposed elsewhere and everyone can live happily ever after.

Except Punta Gorda Bob I guess.

PS- if such a thing happens I would be surprised if the Flying Carpets weren't also removed to a new locale.

And now I will take my leave from this spirited paradise.

FigmentJedi

Why Stitch and not Moana as far as an overlay goes? I get that it's cheap, but Disney's kinda stopped caring about it as a stateside franchise.

JoeCamel

That whole island of buildings could be rethought except for the new Jungle Cruise restaurant IMO. Hate losing attractions but the current offerings have a limited shelf life frankly. Tiki and Bears are half of what they once were.

On the bright side, Tiki can live on at Disneyland as a Walt original. The bears can be repurposed elsewhere and everyone can live happily ever after.

Except Punta Gorda Bob I guess.

PS- if such a thing happens I would be surprised if the Flying Carpets weren't also removed to a new locale.

And now I will take my leave from this spirited paradise.
You have a poor sense of what is near or maybe your lack of familiarity is showing again.

Try seeing the situation in person and maybe you won't be making these gaffes. Well, given the track record you probably will...

Animaniac93-98

Sounds like their possible solution to finding a new permanent home for the displaced-as-of-tomorrow Moana meet-and-greet

A meet and greet or a small QS restaurant/bar (maybe merged with Aloha Isle) is about the only thing they could fit in that space.

I guess anything that generates its own line of revenue is seen as a better option than paying to run a robot show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom