Bye bye Mickey soaps?

DisneyGigi

Coronado always had the Grapefruit with Tink on them. I like the smell better but missed the Mickey that you got at the values. I am guilty of bringing a ton home but, I use the soap. I love it. The shampoo and conditioner are really terrible tho, cute but nothing I would use on my hair and wouldn't use anything in a big size that someone else had used. I use water in the bathroom followed by hand sanitizer! Don't even get me started on the horrors of thinking of drink water from a fountain lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
On plastic bottles? Yes, I agree with you. But on the soaps themselves, like I said earlier, I think this inadvertently encourages waste of them.

This makes total sense. When do you conserve on usage - When you have a small bottle of something like shampoo, or when you have a large bottle of something like shampoo? I know I'm going to use a little bit more when there's a big bottle than when there's a small bottle.

Monorail_Orange

This makes total sense. When do you conserve on usage - When you have a small bottle of something like shampoo, or when you have a large bottle of something like shampoo? I know I'm going to use a little bit more when there's a big bottle than when there's a small bottle.
Exactly, small bottle implies limited supply (even though you'll POSSBILY get another the next day, depending on how stingy the mouse is being). Big bottle implies more supply, let me use 2 or 3 times what I normally do...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Other examples used at other hotel chains...I have mixed feelings about their use. I think I am good with them at value/focus service hotels but would rather see the real deal at deluxe/full service hotels...

348s.jpg
HX_bathamenities01_10_425x303_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg
drury-inn-suites-cincinnati.jpg

Jeremy P

First of all, I can't imagine a majority of the public is going to worry about packing a two pronged tool to pry these things open because they're so desperate to get Disney's soap and shampoo so I think that's a bit excessive.

Two, yes, a person might use a little more since they feel there is a "surplus" but I could almost guarantee it won't be as much as the average guest that sticks these little bottles in their luggage every single day requiring housekeeping to replace them. Not to mention, buying this soap/shampoo in bulk is probably WAY cheaper than buying the small individual bottles. I can only imagine the cost savings just in that aspect.

However, my concern, as we had a soap pump like this in our bathroom, is it becoming grimy. I'm all for reducing waste and I don't know how this would make anyone feel unsanitary but if the pumps become gross from the soap, that could definitely be an issue.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
However, my concern, as we had a soap pump like this in our bathroom, is it becoming grimy. I'm all for reducing waste and I don't know how this would make anyone feel unsanitary but if the pumps become gross from the soap, that could definitely be an issue.

They have to be cleaned and maintained just like the rest of the room. Otherwise, yes, they will get gross.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Unfortunately, small tube-like pumps like that get grimy due to soap build up inside the nozzle.

For sure. If they are using them I hope they would have appropriate practices in place to prevent this. I know other hotels use the similar pumps so I would imagine these practices already exist in the industry.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was always the small "little" things that made disney world unique. I can recall conversations coming up on how "we get to use the disney soap" or "play with the penny arcade machines at the mk train station" on our upcoming trips. Idk, just my thoughts. I bet if you requested your own soap or shampoo from the front desk they would provide. No way in heck I'm pumping shampoo from a bottle that people used before I got there.

This is the kind of thing one expects from hotels which rent rooms by the hour in a seedy part of town. Not at a luxury resort like Disney.

Of course with the quality control exercised at Disney (and bean counters saying dont replace if there is more than 5 % left in the bottle). Empty containers will be the next addition to the long list of mousekeeping issues.

Blech! Glad i don't have any disney stays planned.

stini228

Im not sure how this is more efficient. People will use more if they have access to more, right? I also find this kinda gross, though there isn't really a rational reason.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My partner loves to take the little bottles, sometimes before they've even made it into the shower.

Uh, I know you want to keep that little bar of soap, but I actually do need one.

As far as these go, at least they're keeping the quality H2O stuff. I'd be more upset if they started using cheap soaps.

Only a matter of time, disney luvs cheap

SosoDude

I'm actually kind of happy to see this. My husband is one of "those" people who on a daily basis empties the bathrooms of unopened soaps and shampoos and throws them in our suitcase to take home. The first time he did this I wasn't too concerned because I didn't think we'd be making more than 1 more trip to Disney in the next 10-15 years, so I kind of liked the thought of having a few reminders of our trip. I actually made up little Disney gift bags for our nieces and nephews that Christmas and included a Mickey head soap in each of their bags. Fast forward 16 years and 7 trips later (all of those trips included 2 rooms or a suite with 2 bathrooms) and we have a small Rubbermaid bin full of Disney soap, shampoo, conditioner, combination shampoo & conditioner, and lotion. Why????? We never use them at home. I think we're saving them for the zombie apocalypse or something. I've donated a bunch to a local women's shelter and I put a set or two in our guest bathroom whenever we have overnight guests and I tell them to take the bottles with them when they leave, but most people don't. I will be very happy if we don't bring anymore of those bottles/soaps home with us. But I'm not going to tell my husband if they do actually switch all the rooms to the full bottles (remember when they had the dispensers in the showers at Pop Century????) because he'd probably go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of small bottles to fill up every day. :rolleyes::D
I'm one of "those" people, too! But I use the shampoo/conditioner for shaving. That stuff works better than any shave cream I've ever used.

Obobru

Unfortunately, small tube-like pumps like that get grimy due to soap build up inside the nozzle.
Apart from these won't because the bottles and pumps are disposable and are thrown out not refilled. They won't be in the holder for so long that they get that dirty. The saving is because the large bottle it much cheaper and uses far less plastic than small ones so it's a win win with savings and environmental impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom