Buying/Selling runDisney Registrations

eblaz37

Original Poster
I looked for assistance on this, but cannot seem to find any applicable threads, so here goes.

The January 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend will be my second year participating, and I'm running the Full marathon this year. I have a friend who is looking to participate in the Half. Obviously, the open registration for this has come and gone, and it's obviously full.

Other marathon and running events (non-Disney) allow people to sell their registrations if they are unable to participate after they've already registered...

My question: can anyone point me in the right direction to a site where my friend may be able to purchase someone's registration?

dreamfinder

Technically, not allowed. The fine print on your registration page says it is non-transferable. Especially since people now need to pick up their own registration in person, there is really no way to transfer the registration unless the registree picked it up, and then met the other person in person to give them the bib. If runDisney catches someone doing this they may ban both people from doing runDisney events. Your best bet is to look into the travel agents and charities as both should still have openings. It might cost some more, but its the only legit way to register at this point.

eblaz37

Original Poster
Technically, not allowed. The fine print on your registration page says it is non-transferable. Especially since people now need to pick up their own registration in person, there is really no way to transfer the registration unless the registree picked it up, and then met the other person in person to give them the bib. If runDisney catches someone doing this they may ban both people from doing runDisney events. Your best bet is to look into the travel agents and charities as both should still have openings. It might cost some more, but its the only legit way to register at this point.

That was most helpful, thank you very much!

Mad Stitch

With most of the races selling out within 24 hours up to seven months prior to the event, it does raise the question should runDisney create a formal process for selling registrations so that people don't resort to the black market tactic. A lot can happen in someone's life in between registering and the race that could cause them to be unable to run. If there were a way for that person to post the bib for sale at the price they paid for it to someone who want's in the race, it would be a win for everybody.

eblaz37

Original Poster
With most of the races selling out within 24 hours up to seven months prior to the event, it does raise the question should runDisney create a formal process for selling registrations so that people don't resort to the black market tactic. A lot can happen in someone's life in between registering and the race that could cause them to be unable to run. If there were a way for that person to post the bib for sale at the price they paid for it to someone who want's in the race, it would be a win for everybody.

I definitely agree. However I venture to assume that they don't want to get into the mess that would be constantly changing names/info on registrations. They'd prefer to just do the registration process and be done with it. Hate to say it, but they have their money and they want to leave things as is, I'm sure.

Mad Stitch

Your probably right, however runDisney does outsource that process to Active.com after all. I develop these types of systems for a living and I know it would not be very difficult to build a database table that tracks bib 123 transferred from person a to person b. Then runDisney would charge a $50 service fee for it and make even more money off of very little work.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Yeah, a formal resale process guaranteed by Disney would help. That way nobody is cheated on the resale. I had to eat the registration for what was supposed to be my first Disney race when we found out we were expecting our youngest child.

geaux_half

If you look under Travel Providers under Registration for Marathon Weekend on Run Disney's website there are half marathon entries available. Not sure what the travel providers require to purchase the entry put there are still entries available.

FerretAfros

All race directors, Disney's included, count on a certain number of no-shows (typically somewhere around 20%). If they allowed people to "legally" sell their bibs, they would need to reduce the number of registrations that they sell, which would most likely cut down on their profits, especially since no-show runners don't need shirts, medals, or post-race food

I also think that it would greatly increase the number of people who register specifically to re-sell the registration later. As it is now, I think most of them are people who legitimately planned on running but are no longer able to. Throw scalpers into the mix, and the races will sell out even faster

I know that there are races that do allow this (most notably the Marine Corps Marathon), and I really appreciate what it does for runners whose lives change in the ~8 months between registration and the race. But given how popular Disney's races are and the limited capacity of their courses, I don't think that allowing runners to sell or trade bibs would help the overall event. Perhaps they should focus more on clearly communicating the deferment opportunities to runners

eblaz37

Original Poster
If you look under Travel Providers under Registration for Marathon Weekend on Run Disney's website there are half marathon entries available. Not sure what the travel providers require to purchase the entry put there are still entries available.
Would you help me with a link? I can't seem to find it!

dreamfinder

Would you help me with a link? I can't seem to find it!

Go here -> http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/ click the registration tab, and scroll down. Keep scrolling, keep scrolling, and voila! Both travel providers and charity groups are listed.

I always see them on craigslist days before the race.

Before, not a huge deal, the seller could provide you with the packet pickup authorization form. But now that the new races don't allow for others to pick up your packets, it will be a bit harder. The seller needs to be local, do the pickup and then hand over the bib. A much more limited market than used to exist.

DizPunk

It's all about keeping people who are untrackable off the course with you and 20,000 people.

That, and the 20% oversell thing. At least with the oversell, I have a better chance of getting in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom