Buying Points from Individual DVC Owner

jlsHouston

Original Poster
I just had a strange one pop up. I've recently bought points from individual DVC owners for some of our visits to WDW. Kind of a way to stay deluxe for a better price and check out the rooms at the various DVC resorts.
Every transaction to date, the member would make the reservation and email it to me and the reservation would show the member who made the reservation with my name and whoever else was in my travel party's name as the people on the ressie. I could then take the reservation number and link it in my MDE profile.
So I decided on a last minute trip and bought 4 nights worth of points for SSR studio. Then I decided I wanted to fly in a day earlier and my member was out of points. Plus there was nothing available for a studio anywhere, all 1 bedrooms making the cost higher than the AP price for AKL, which had availability under the AP rate.
So I left a posting up on a board that I wanted to buy points for a Sunday night in May for a studio and was contacted through that board by a member who booked me a studio at SSR for that Sunday night .
When they emailed me the DVC reservation, I saw the booking had the DVC owners names as the party staying in the room instead of me and my travel partys name.
I had told them I had paid previous members two ways, one was cashier check by express mail, the other was through pay pal.
This DVC member told me to mail the check. So I got her mailing address and I asked them to forward me the reservation number from Disney that had my names as the travel guests. They replied they were more comfortable doing that after they received funds from me.
So we are talking $ 150 bucks. Is it difficult for them to take a reservation out of a guest name or something and that is why they want to wait for the funds from me? Because that is not how I did it in the past 3 transactions with other members. Could this member lose these points once they put them in my name and I don't pay or something? I am just trying to fathom why they have a better comfort level waiting for the money before they put my travel party's names on the reservation.
Sorry for the lengthy explanation in advance

dreamfinder

It's not difficult at all for them to make that change. It's no harder than changing a regular booking reservation. Unless I'm missing something here.....

jlsHouston

Original Poster
It's not difficult at all for them to make that change. It's no harder than changing a regular booking reservation. Unless I'm missing something here.....

I just couldn't figure out the reasoning unless they might lose their ability to "bank" the points if they made a ressie that had other guests names besides themselves. And I mean these sort of transactions are a matter of trust anyways so their 150 dollars worth of points have a value they don't want to lose on and I certainly don't want to send out $150 dollar without a certain amount of good faith on their part.
I just thought it was weird.
So I don't know. I think I am going to just hang onto my ressie at the Hilton by dtd unless I come across a more sophisticated DVC seller that wants to sell a few points for one night and hassle with booking it for me.

EOD K9

I've booked for people under their names and had them use paypal. As soon as the transaction went through (usually a matter of minutes) I gave them their reservation number. I have done this for a few people on this website and all parties involved have had zero complaints.

jlsHouston

Original Poster
I've booked for people under their names and had them use paypal. As soon as the transaction went through (usually a matter of minutes) I gave them their reservation number. I have done this for a few people on this website and all parties involved have had zero complaints.

Yes that was kind of how 2 of my transactions went. If you book a dvc reservation using your points for other people, do you lose those points if you have to cancel the reservation or something?

jlsHouston

Original Poster
If it is within a week, then yes. If it is within thirty days, they go into a holding account and cannot be banked.

Ah, it is my understanding their points expire May 31. The ressie is for May 18th so yes it would be less than 30 days if I don't take the ressie and pay for it and they really did this booking.

I don't think I can check to see if they did it though even with the resv # since my name is not on it can I ?

This spooked me when the email didn't show my name because the first 3 DVC owners I dealt with when buying points I got emails with the resv# and it would say guests listing me and my travel party.

EOD K9

You can try linking the reservation with the MDE app and see if it went through that way. Since I have never been on your end, I couldn't tell you. Sorry.

dreamfinder

Ah, it is my understanding their points expire May 31. The ressie is for May 18th so yes it would be less than 30 days if I don't take the ressie and pay for it and they really did this booking.

I don't think I can check to see if they did it though even with the resv # since my name is not on it can I ?

This spooked me when the email didn't show my name because the first 3 DVC owners I dealt with when buying points I got emails with the resv# and it would say guests listing me and my travel party.

Even if you name is on the reservation, you can't do anything to the reservation as they are the room "owner" on record. The same goes for a regular reservation as well. If you book the room for your brother/sister, I do believe that you are the one that needs to make changes even though your brother/sister is listed as the one staying in the room. This is why the DVC owner needs to do things like add the dining plan to a reservation made on your behalf.

Lisalyn

I have a question please regarding points and no clue where to post it so please move "this" if there is an appropriate thread elsewhere.

My question is...if you rent points from say David's Vacation Rentals for Animal Kingdom Lodge - if free dining is being offered for that specific resort, would you automatically get the free dining or would the room need to be booked directly thru Disney. The only other thing I can think of is that you would pay David's Vacation Rentals for his points for that room and then call Disney, give them your reservation number and order your park tickets which would give you the free dining associated with that resort.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Lisa

Minthorne

No DVC rentals through members points are not free dining eligible reservations.

I have a question please regarding points and no clue where to post it so please move "this" if there is an appropriate thread elsewhere.

My question is...if you rent points from say David's Vacation Rentals for Animal Kingdom Lodge - if free dining is being offered for that specific resort, would you automatically get the free dining or would the room need to be booked directly thru Disney. The only other thing I can think of is that you would pay David's Vacation Rentals for his points for that room and then call Disney, give them your reservation number and order your park tickets which would give you the free dining associated with that resort.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Lisa

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom