Buying DVC

disneyincinci

Original Poster
I'm wanting to purchase a 25-30 point contract. Can I buy a contract this small direct from Disney or does it have to be resale? Also, can anyone point me to a reputable resale site?

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I believe the minimum for buying direct if you are a NEW member is 50 points. As a CURRENT member you can buy just 25 etc direct. Resale there isn't any minimum that I know of.
Also do note if buying resale now since April of last year you get no extra benefits of being a member besides booking your rooms or using RCI exchange. No membership card, no discounts, no admission to the DVC lounges, no admission to DVC member events, etc etc.
I cannot help you with recommendations as we bought direct. DVC resales company is talked about a lot on here though. :) :)

****Edit: my info about 50 points that I was told recently was probably wrong and it's probably still 100 point minimum for new members buying direct. Sorry for any confusion. :)

Last edited:

sxeensweet

For anything under than 100 points as an initial buy in, you would need to do it resale. If you already own DVC, then you can buy 25 points direct.

Last I asked/checked for a new member recently they were allowing as little as 50 (if pushy to only buy 50) but it used to be 100 when we bought in 2013. But as with CM's/member services you sometimes get the wrong answers! Haha! :)

dreamfinder

DVC will (like many timeshares) have options that aren't immediately offered to you. For instance, they will most likely tell you that a 150 point buy in is the lowest they can do, but if you hold the line and say that's too much, we don't need that many etc they will suddenly offer you the 100 (or possibly 50?) point buy in. The same applies to the resort being sold. They will only actively market and promote the one currently being sold (I think Aulani and the Polynesian) but if you are persistent you can be waitlisted for points at the other properties, and they will buy them via ROFR. It may just take longer.

Phonedave

One thing with small resale contracts is that they have a higher per point costs. Small contracts on the resale market are more desireable, because they are both reletively rare, and can be used to augment an existing contract when a person only wants a few points.

DVC charges the same per point no matter what size contract you buy (but it is still going to more than any resale contract)

-dave

sxeensweet

DVC will (like many timeshares) have options that aren't immediately offered to you. For instance, they will most likely tell you that a 150 point buy in is the lowest they can do, but if you hold the line and say that's too much, we don't need that many etc they will suddenly offer you the 100 (or possibly 50?) point buy in. The same applies to the resort being sold. They will only actively market and promote the one currently being sold (I think Aulani and the Polynesian) but if you are persistent you can be waitlisted for points at the other properties, and they will buy them via ROFR. It may just take longer.

Yes agree and that may be what happened too with the 50 point New buy in info I got. Also yes I always tell people if you want an older property push the issue they can and will sell you them once points become available from obtaining from ROFR etc if they don't already have some points available for said property. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom