buy a passport yes or no 4 days Bahama cruise

philcan

Original Poster
In May we are going on our first ever cruise. It is 4 days to the Bahamas. We both have birth Certificates with a raised stamp. Granted both are over 50 years old. I was wondering if we should get pass ports or not since birth certificates will work. Getting 2 pass ports will end up adding about another 300.00 to the trip cost. Thats a lot of $$ and less we can spend on stuff during vacation. Whats the down side to not getting one. should we decide to do more foreign travel we can always get later or would you recommend doing it now?

MaryJaneP

In addition to the above reason, nine (9) states driver's licenses will NOT, by 2018, be accepted for flights. Passports apparently will overcome this limitation. Since most passports are good for ten (10) years (minors are five (5)), it may make sense to get your passports now if you think you may be subject to this problem and expect to take a flight after then.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
@philcan if your 4-night cruise is the only foreign travel you foresee, you're fine with birth certs. Have a great time, and save your passport fee for when you're going to go on an overseas adventure.

Just make sure to get on the ship well before the all aboard time!!

All that said, I think having a passport is a good thing and I'm on my third renewal.

Last edited:

pilka214

If you're in good health, and don't mind the "slight" risk of needing to fly home from one of your ports of call, I'd feel comfortable saying yu don't need a passport. Don't get stuck in Nassau, don't wreck a moped and don't end up in a Bahamian hospital and a birth certificate will serve you just fine.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I've done two cruises without a passport and it's been just fine. I'd say it's more of a personal call whether to get one or not. I know some people just don't feel comfortable not having one.

Phonedave

I personaly have had a passport for years now (on my 4th I think - I just got it, still waiting for my old one to be returned). I use it as ID for all travel, domestic, or otherwise.

Do you NEED it for the cruise you are doing - no. Would I get one - I would. I had one for my kids as well when they cruise.

Yes, $300 can be a chunk of change for what amounts to an ID, especially if you do not plan to do any travel when it is required. For me, it is worth my peice of mind. I have one because I do travel internationally, but I did get one for my kids when we cruise "just in case" and kids passports expire faster.

-dave

rob0519

As others have said. Do you need it for this cruise no. The question is, will you need it in the future to get on an airplane, go to Canada, Mexico or somewhere else? It doesn't hurt to have a passport. My family got our first passports for a 4 day DCL cruise to the Bahamas, just like you are taking.

docdebbi

If you're in good health, and don't mind the "slight" risk of needing to fly home from one of your ports of call, I'd feel comfortable saying yu don't need a passport. Don't get stuck in Nassau, don't wreck a moped and don't end up in a Bahamian hospital and a birth certificate will serve you just fine.

Funny you should say that.

My brother in law and his wife were in Bermuda on a moped and crashed head on into a bus going around a curve.
They were both unconscious in the hospital, with major danger of his wife losing her leg, and both of their parents' passports had expired and they couldn't even go to them. Took 3 days because it was a weekend and then had to pay for expedited.

Since then I have always kept my passport up to date, the fear they went through and couldn't get to their kids is something I'll never forget..........or risk.

BTW- praise the Lord, they hired an emergency evacuation airplane and got them home to Jefferson Hospital and five surgeries later, they saved her leg. So PS- I also always buy trip insurance that includes coverage for emergency medical evacuation. Learned a lot from their experience.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Funny you should say that.

My brother in law and his wife were in Bermuda on a moped and crashed head on into a bus going around a curve.
They were both unconscious in the hospital, with major danger of his wife losing her leg, and both of their parents' passports had expired and they couldn't even go to them. Took 3 days because it was a weekend and then had to pay for expedited.

Since then I have always kept my passport up to date, the fear they went through and couldn't get to their kids is something I'll never forget..........or risk.

BTW- praise the Lord, they hired an emergency evacuation airplane and got them home to Jefferson Hospital and five surgeries later, they saved her leg. So PS- I also always buy trip insurance that includes coverage for emergency medical evacuation. Learned a lot from their experience.

Trip insurance is so important!! It's not just for cancellations.

jaklgreen

I personaly have had a passport for years now (on my 4th I think - I just got it, still waiting for my old one to be returned). I use it as ID for all travel, domestic, or otherwise.

Do you NEED it for the cruise you are doing - no. Would I get one - I would. I had one for my kids as well when they cruise.

Yes, $300 can be a chunk of change for what amounts to an ID, especially if you do not plan to do any travel when it is required. For me, it is worth my peice of mind. I have one because I do travel internationally, but I did get one for my kids when we cruise "just in case" and kids passports expire faster.

-dave

I am of the same mind as you. I rather have it then not. We just got new ones for my girls because theirs had expired and we are going on a cruise in May. It really is a small expense in the long run, not to mention peace of mind. I would not want to have to deal with the hassle of not having one if something happened.

Daveeeeed

My grandmother had to be evacuated when she was on the Disney Dream with her cousin. They were literally minutes from leaving Cape Canaveral, but she was removed from the ship. Anything can happen -- it's up to you I suppose whether you want a Passport or not. Also, we always buy trip insurance (not from Disney, but from our insurance).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom