Busy day for theme parks in Florida

FratboyJosh

Original Poster
With SeaWorld announcing the new roller coaster mako, Universal announcing Volcano Bay, and Busch Gardens announcing Cobras Curse, why is Disney once again sitting back and doing nothing? It seems like this has been the trend for the last few years. Could we foresee one day where Disney isn't the number 1 park in the state of Florida?

Arthur Wellesley

With SeaWorld announcing the new roller coaster mako, Universal announcing Volcano Bay, and Busch Gardens announcing Cobras Curse, why is Disney once again sitting back and doing nothing? It seems like this has been the trend for the last few years. Could we foresee one day where Disney isn't the number 1 park in the state of Florida?
You just answered part 1 of your question with what you said in the last sentence... Disney is currently top dog in the industry. As long as it is, and as long as attendance figures stay strong...why hurry? In sports, the best teams aren't scrambling by the trade deadline to swap players & make drastic changes.

This doesn't at all imply that I'm happy with stagnation on Disney's part. But that's just how it works.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I like the topic, but think it would be more appropriate for General Discussion, not News and Rumors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I fully expect for Disney to announce new benches within 24 hours. ;)

Shaman

The thing is we know some major pieces are in the pipeline, but no announcements means no constructions, which means lots of waiting.

Ironically WDW has lots of construction projects all over. It's not as flashy, but Disney isn't exactly sleeping either. Although Avatar is arguably pretty impressive.

The way I see it, all these announcements may slightly nudge the powers at Disney to maybe put a rush on certain pieces (maybe at DHS)?

I hope so anyway.

FratboyJosh

Original Poster
I just feel that within the last few years, parks like universal have pretty much begun closing the gaps that Disney has thoroughly enjoyed. I honestly think it's the fact that they continue to build project after project. They've also been very good at promoting these projects as well. Disney really needs to give its fans something to be excited for.

Matt_Black

Not sure this counts. Cant say anybody will be booking a trip to Disney to see the hub at Magic Kingdom

But if they didn't do anything there, people would no doubt be complaining eventually about congestion or crowding or what have you. It may not be something flashy, but it's something that is practical.

Shaman

Frozen in Norway?
MK Hub?
HS: Well, things are closing left and right.

Disney Springs. Those parking garages alone are massive projects. Add the roadway projects, pedestrian bridges...and don't forget the actual new shops and restaurants (the bulk of which are still under construction).

I mean sure Universal just announced a water park. But Disney has two (RIP River Country).

But yeah, where IS our Star Wars Land announcement?

BJones82

Disney Springs. Those parking garages alone are massive projects. Add the roadway projects, pedestrian bridges...and don't forget the actual new shops and restaurants (the bulk of which are still under construction).

Aren't they building a whole new Exit off the interstate for Disney in this too?

The closings point to a lot as well:

1. I find it very hard to believe something big isn't coming to future world with IW closing and all the event space they already have there I just can't believe they are going to leave it be...
  2. DHS... Do I really need to state to obvious, something huge is going to happen there, we just don't know what yet...
  3. The closer of the Driving Experience points to something though it may be as mundane as more MK parking or as exciting as a whole new MK entrance(As exciting as it can be lol...)
Disney seems to be focusing on Infrastructure at this point(the billion they spent on MM+), I really believe once the infrastructure projects are done, they will start spending on attractions... I hope lol...

JIMINYCR

It's a momentary pause. I doubt Disney will ever fall behind. Disney has the name, the reputation, the best promotions, and the image of THE place to be in FL. The others may try knocking them off the top spot, they may quiver at times, but Disney will always come up with the upper hand. Theres more going on behind the scenes to come. When it all comes down to profits, Disney wont let guests get away for long.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Aren't they building a whole new Exit off the interstate for Disney in this too?I find it very hard to believe something big isn't coming to future world with IW closing and all the event space they already have there I just can't believe they are going to leave it
As it stands, believe it. For a while yet.

bethymouse

I guess Avatarland is the "big" thing coming soon, so why bother trying to announce or do anything else? People ( like me) still come to Disney anyway!;)

Disneyhead'71

Let the excuses begin.

They closed the Backlot Tour in September. 8 months later, nothing. In a $100/day park with 5 rides.

DTD spent 8 years boarded up like abandoned low income housing. And it is still over a year from completion.

The attractions under construction now, were announced in 2011 and are still over 2 years from opening.

And re: The Hub. What they are doing to the hub is how accountants design theme parks. Not one once of artistic acumen or creative problem solving involved. They didn't have to destroy the hub to solve the problem . That is just how people with no vision do things.

Squigglove

Disney is a sleeping dragon. Once it wakes - it wakes all at once and we tend to get hit with "what just happened?!" I think for many people the construction of the New Fantasyland took forever, but for me, I kind of feel like I was just there six years ago and now so much will be added/changed.
Disney keeps an ever-watchful eye on its competition. But in my own opinion I think it's wasteful to keep opening new parks when the ones they already have receive so many negative reviews.

I see so many people saying "the parks are stale." And I have to imagine that those statements are made by people whom get to go to Disney far more often than I do. I've only been to Disney 4 times and there's so much that I have never done (we usually skip Tomorrowland completely) and so much that we never knew existed (like the raining umbrella at HS).

Disneyhead'71

Disney is a sleeping dragon. Once it wakes - it wakes all at once and we tend to get hit with "what just happened?!" I think for many people the construction of the New Fantasyland took forever, but for me, I kind of feel like I was just there six years ago and now so much will be added/changed.
Disney keeps an ever-watchful eye on its competition. But in my own opinion I think it's wasteful to keep opening new parks when the ones they already have receive so many negative reviews.

I see so many people saying "the parks are stale." And I have to imagine that those statements are made by people whom get to go to Disney far more often than I do. I've only been to Disney 4 times and there's so much that I have never done (we usually skip Tomorrowland completely) and so much that we never knew existed (like the raining umbrella at HS).
I have been going to WDW since 1971. My 4th trip was in 1976.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom