Busch Gardens Williamsburg testing "Soarin'-type" ride this weekend...

WDWRLD

Yea, this is really a knockoff of Soarin...Cast Uniforms, Ride Logos, smells, theme of the ride, arrival and departure gate....Now it makes me wonder if that height waiver they applied for on Wednesday, are we getting a knockoff of Tower Of Terror too. I hope to ride it tonight so I guess I will see how much of a knockoff it really is.

glee

Yea, this is really a knockoff of Soarin...Cast Uniforms, Ride Logos, smells, theme of the ride, arrival and departure gate....Now it makes me wonder if that height waiver they applied for on Wednesday, are we getting a knockoff of Tower Of Terror too. I hope to ride it tonight so I guess I will see how much of a knockoff it really is.

Report back to us! :)

sweetpee_1993

Off the original topic a bit....but is BG Williamsburg as beautiful as it used to be? I haven't been since around 1992-ish. Had been giving thought to maybe taking the offspring there but wasn't sure if the change of ownership had changed things. From what I remember it really was a pretty park.

Dubman

We were there the 3rd weekend in April and yes it is beautiful!! Had a great time! It was our first time visiting that park and was very impressed.. Very hilly as far as theme parks go though, so keep that in mind if you are pushing a stroller around all day. If you go be sure to check out the new IRish step dance show in the Ireland section, it was amazing! Only thing that upset us was the fact that Europe In The Air was not open yet.. Have family in the area and will definately be visiting the park again on our next trip!

BTW.. We spent the extra 15.00 each to get quick que passes and it was well worth it. When we went, the park was only open friday-sunday so it was extra packed the saturday we went, with lots of large groups.. They are good for 1 ride on each of the main roller coaster, and water rides.

RAIDER

Soarin is one of my fav rides in WDW i cant compare :sohappy:

fractal

We were there the 3rd weekend in April and yes it is beautiful!! Had a great time! It was our first time visiting that park and was very impressed.. Very hilly as far as theme parks go though, so keep that in mind if you are pushing a stroller around all day. If you go be sure to check out the new IRish step dance show in the Ireland section, it was amazing! Only thing that upset us was the fact that Europe In The Air was not open yet.. Have family in the area and will definately be visiting the park again on our next trip!

BTW.. We spent the extra 15.00 each to get quick que passes and it was well worth it. When we went, the park was only open friday-sunday so it was extra packed the saturday we went, with lots of large groups.. They are good for 1 ride on each of the main roller coaster, and water rides.

We are going this summer - end of July. Thanks for the tip on the quick que passes. I'll report back with a full review of "Europe in the Air" and how it compares to "Soarin'".

Disneyson 1

I love Busch, but really? This is a really bad knockoff, and it's a shame that they had to knock out Corkscrew Hill for it. They need a new dark ride or at least something else that's family-friendly. Or at least they can improve DarCastle!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If Disney had EVER changed their film then this possibly would have never happened.

For example if Soarin' had been changed to show a European travelogue then Busch would have been forced to do something a little different.

Apathy comes with a price tag and in this case its competition.

Mickey_777

I usually get a fun/summer pass for Busch Gardens so I'll let you know how/if it compares to Soarin'. Also, for the first time BG is getting a mix of nightime shows/fireworks and a parade called "Illuminights"...also very Disney-esque wouldn't you say?

Mickey_777

I got to ride it on saturday

Okay so I was at Busch Gardens over the weekend and rode Europe in the Air. I recently found out BG added this attraction and immediately thought "Soarin' wannabe". In any case, I had to see what it was like.

I found the ride itself to be enjoyable. How can I explain this...it's like the theatre seating is lifted up by a gigantic arm that moves you in all four directions synchronized to the movie. I think they did a great job considering what they were working with. The gusts of wind and air in the theatre feel very realisic and the scenes/imagery are impressive. I found that the music is also well done and appropriate for a ride like this. I must discredit the rumor, however, that there are smells to go with the changes in scenery. I didn't smell anything. There is just movement and wind. All in all it's a good ride but it's missing that feeling of actual flight that you get on Soarin. But than again, I don't think the point of Europe in the Air to is to make you feel like you're on a hand glider so...

I do have to complain about the theming. They just repainted some of the walls in the castle "sky blue" and slapped on some signage and posters of Europe. Very lazy but that goes for the entire park. I'd love for BG, with it's Europe theme, to try and up the quality of their theming and facades to look more like what's at Epcot...maybe that's asking for too much. It's not Disney after all.

fractal

Okay so I was at Busch Gardens over the weekend and rode Europe in the Air. I recently found out BG added this attraction and immediately thought "Soarin' wannabe". In any case, I had to see what it was like.

I found the ride itself to be enjoyable. How can I explain this...it's like the theatre seating is lifted up by a gigantic arm that moves you in all four directions synchronized to the movie. I think they did a great job considering what they were working with. The gusts of wind and air in the theatre feel very realisic and the scenes/imagery are impressive. I found that the music is also well done and appropriate for a ride like this. I must discredit the rumor, however, that there are smells to go with the changes in scenery. I didn't smell anything. There is just movement and wind. All in all it's a good ride but it's missing that feeling of actual flight that you get on Soarin. But than again, I don't think the point of Europe in the Air to is to make you feel like you're on a hand glider so...

I do have to complain about the theming. They just repainted some of the walls in the castle "sky blue" and slapped on some signage and posters of Europe. Very lazy but that goes for the entire park. I'd love for BG, with it's Europe theme, to try and up the quality of their theming and facades to look more like what's at Epcot...maybe that's asking for too much. It's not Disney after all.

thanks for the report - I'll be there next week.

Ziffell

If Disney had EVER changed their film then this possibly would have never happened.

For example if Soarin' had been changed to show a European travelogue then Busch would have been forced to do something a little different.

Apathy comes with a price tag and in this case its competition.

Totally agree!!

fractal

I was at Busch Gardens last Thurs,Fri, and Sat.

I'm working on a full report but just some broad observations.

Overall, the park really is beautiful. The landscaping, the bridges, the waterfalls, the river - the theming of the buildings is also top notch. Very comparable to Disney. Music is played and changes as you leave one "country" and enter another. Plenty of shade from trees and "shade sails" which was much appreciated in the 105-110degree weather. BG also gave out free ice water at any of their "soda fountain" stands.

more to come...

fractal

SPOILER ALERT -

Europe in the Air vs. Soarin'

There is no doubt in my mind that BG's intent was to build EITA as a competitor to Soarin' because of the signage, the promotional material on it and the "pre-ride" video they show. I think this was a mistake, because it's a pretty good ride and experience but the entire time I was comparing it to Soarin' in my mind.

As a point of reference, I feel Soarin' is one of the best rides I've been on. It seems that you either love it or are dissapointed in it. I happen to love it.

Anyway - as far as EITA goes, you enter a building with EITA signage that resembles Soarin'. The queue takes you through a hallway that best resembles the inside of a cave - the walls and ceiling are large slabs of rock ( maybe 10 feet long by 8-9 feet high ) connected together. The length of this pathway is maybe 30 yards long. The walls are a brown color.

This leads you into a room that is has light blue painted concrete walls with dark blue trim with a kinda-castle theme going. You are then told to stand facing a screen which is also framed by a darker blue medievel type trim.

The video starts on the screen and it's some kind of travel agent or tour company rep that is going over your flight itinerary. He is in a room with computer screens and gadgets going to make in look "high tech". He is then interrupted by a computer voice that is apparently upgrading our trip to a lower flight path for better views ( which ties in to one of my complaints later ). He seems surprised but finally convinced that this is correct and tells us we are in for a special treat...

fractal

After the pre-ride schtick ( which is somewhat confusing - it took me the second time to really figure it out ) the walls on the side swing open and you are led to a "boarding room". Again another screen which gives you directions to stand on a lighted dot on the floor. The dots form rows of about 8 people and I believe there are 6 rows?. Again the comparisons to Soarin'. But the room is the same blue concrete with medivel trim. I felt the themeing was kinda cheap with all the blue paint. It didn't fit in with a "futuristic/high tech ride vehicle the pre-boarding agent described.

Then the walls slide open and you are led into a large room and into rows of seats. As you sit down you are facing a big screen ( about the size of a "secondary" movie screen at the local cinema ). At this point it is pretty obvious that you are sitting in a simulator of some type. Everything is painted black which forces you to focus on the screen but at anytime you can see the walls and ceilings above and around you. You can also see the giant fans painted black on each side of the simulator. The screen shows what looks like a closed high-tech "cargo" or "hangar" door.

fractal

A BG "cast member" will then make some announcements and ask if you are having a great time at BG. Everybody kinda cheered at this but I thought it worked against the theme and imagry of believing you were in some high-tech hangar about to go on a special flight over Europe.

Soon enough the hangar door opens and you quickly figure out the hangar is located inside a Scotish or Irish castle. I suppose this is the justification for the cheesy blue medievel look in the queu? The film quality is decent but starts out a bit "jerky" - the moment of the film doesn't seem realistic at first. But once you really get going the floor starts to rise and shift in tandem with the view - Overall i thought it felt realistic enough. The wind also picked up in unison with the film and gave you a sense of speed. As far as smells - there wasn't any that my olfactory region was able to assertain.

fractal

The film itself -

You flew over parts of England including Stonehedge and London. I liked how at Stonehedge you hovered over the site and the back part of the room rose which gave you the sensation of looking straight down at it.
Over London you saw the giant ferris wheel (Canary Wharf), then Big Ben, Parliment building and Tower Bridge. Pretty well done but brief.

The "cuts" in the film ( when you hopped from one local to another ) comprised of about 2 or 3 seconds of what looked and felt like you were flying thru clouds. It did it's job to seperate the scenes but many times didn't really "fade" into and out of smoothly. One second you are over the Tower Bridge then you are in clouds - where did they come from?

After the UK you end up in Paris - this is where I has the biggest issue with the film. I don't know if they couldn't get permission for a Paris "fly over" or if it would be too costly - but the view of Paris was essentially from ground level! It felt like the camera was on a truck with a high extention - you were about 5-10 or so feet above traffic. In fact, you heard the cars around honking their horns at you. I'm guessing this is what the travel agent was referring to in the pre-boarding video as a low altitude flight angle. You came up to the eiffel tower from below - not above it. A flight of Paris from above would have been awesome. In fact - if they really couldn't get permission for that I think they would have been better off flying over the French countryside, lavendar fields, and/or the vinyards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom