Busch Gardens new Coaster in 2005

speck76

Original Poster
Anybody hear any more details about BGT's new coaster in 2005.

I read a few articles over the last few weeks, and they are starting to prepare for it, I guess they have already taken the railroad out of Stanleyville.

All I have heard so far is this:

Designed by B&M
It will be a dive maching style (like Oblivion at Alton Towers)
It will be around 200 feet tall
It will have new elements not seen on other dive machines
It will open in 2005.

I have not driven over to BGT in a few weeks, so I don't know what progress has been made first hand.

ogryn

I'm not sure why they want a Dive-Machine? They are pretty much one-trick ponies. That's why they have only sold two in the past 6 years.

From the plans that have come out, they say it'll have an overbanked turn and a watersplash (http://www.bgtguide.com/2005/)

StevenT

Everythinghas been pretty much proven by building permits etc., except that it will be a dive machine. This is the strongest rumour and most likely true, but I am hoping for a good tall, long ride. I think it'd be a better idea to not build a dive machine, and put in another coaster of some kind, maybe something Hulk or Rock and Roller Coaster like with a launch, and then put in a good old vertical drop ride where the Python is :D

speck76

Original Poster
From the Tampa Tribune today

TAMPA - The Busch Gardens amusement park is seeking approval to build a major new roller coaster attraction as well as a new 400-seat restaurant and open both by May 2005.
The roller coaster, if approved and built, would be the park's first major new thrill ride addition in three years.

Plans filed with the Tampa Department of Business and Housing Development show that the new roller coaster will include an ancient African theme. Riders will race through an old stone tower and make a precipitous drop, ending in a pool of water.

Adding such designs and thrills, common on rides at Walt Disney World in Orlando, would be a break from the five major traditional roller coasters operating at Busch Gardens.

Busch Gardens executives declined Monday to discuss specifics of the new ride, including costs to build, but they confirmed that a new attraction is planned.

It's also unclear how large or fast the proposed roller coaster will be; the state and city do not require amusement parks to file such information.

Busch Gardens' plans for a new roller coaster comes as Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom is constructing Expedition Everest. That coaster ride is scheduled for completion by early 2006.

Such an attraction could present added competition for Busch Gardens, said James Zoltak, senior editor of Amusement Business, a Nashville, Tenn.-based trade publication.

Zoltak said it is his understanding that Busch Gardens' new coaster will include a final straight downhill drop from a significant height, making it the first ``diving'' coaster in the United States.

Tim O'Brien, the author of the Amusement Park Guide, said such coasters give riders the feeling of a free fall.

``It's certainly not for anyone with vertigo,'' he said.

O'Brien said there are only two such coasters in the world. They are located in amusement parks in England and Taiwan.

As for the proposed new restaurant, plans show it sitting next to the roller coaster in the park's Stanleyville section. It will replace the existing Stanleyville Smokehouse, a 250- seat outdoor restaurant. Plans call for the new restaurant to offer primarily indoor seating.

Plans on file with the city show another new attraction in the Stanleyville area will be what's referred to as a themed tree. Plans don't disclose specific details about the attraction. But Busch Gardens' main competitor, Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom, offers a tree of life attraction, which includes an underground movie theater.

Between 1959 and 1998, Busch Gardens had a monopoly in Florida with its combination wild animal park and thrill ride concept.

But that changed in April 1998, when Animal Kingdom opened in Orlando, bringing a Hollywood entertainment approach and tough competition for Busch Gardens, owned by Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc. While Busch Gardens featured an ice-skating show in its indoor theater, Disney's Animal Kingdom featured the Festival of the Lion King musical in an indoor theater, which played off its popular Broadway hit.

In April, Busch Gardens ended the ice-skating show and replaced it with Katonga, a Broadway style musical featuring an African theme.

The new stage show along with Busch Gardens' plans for a new roller coaster are evidence that the Tampa amusement park is concerned about competition from Animal Kingdom, Zoltak said.

``Busch Gardens clearly wants to position themselves with offering attractions for a wider range of visitors,'' Zoltak said.

The park has had trouble with attendance and needs new attractions to boost visitor interest, he said.

Zoltak said Busch Gardens had a 4 percent drop in attendance last year, compared to the previous year, with an estimated 4.3 million visitors.

Animal Kingdom's attendance was flat, Zoltak said, with an estimated 7.3 million visitors in 2003.

AndyP

This is good for the Florida tourist industry. More competion could mean Seaworld has something in the works too and maybe Universal and Disney will respond then with further attractiosn though I doubt they see this as a major threat at the moment!

speck76

Original Poster
I don't think SW has anything major in the works...they added the thrill rides to help capture a segment of business that they were not getting. They are going to further expand the new Waterfront area that opened last year....after that, they will probably focus on new shows and animal exhibits for a few years, as the current shows have been playing for quite some time.

AndyP

Originally posted by speck76
I don't think SW has anything major in the works...they added the thrill rides to help capture a segment of business that they were not getting. They are going to further expand the new Waterfront area that opened last year....after that, they will probably focus on new shows and animal exhibits for a few years, as the current shows have been playing for quite some time.

yeah but i can always wish!

surfsupdon

The pictures and proposed ideas make the ride look very short in length and ride duration. I don't like that. But I've also never been on a vertical drop dive type coaster, so that'll have some pull on me.

AndyP

Originally posted by surfsupdon
The pictures and proposed ideas make the ride look very short in length and ride duration. I don't like that. But I've also never been on a vertical drop dive type coaster, so that'll have some pull on me.

Its going to be the 3rd ever in the world, and the first in America.

StevenT

Any major roller coaster attraction makes me happy. Just about anything is better than Busch's latest acheivments Rhino Rally and Haunted Lighthouse. Those are the dumbest attractions ever.

I didn't like the dive maschine idea at first but I think it'll be cool. Very unique, as stated, one of 3 in the world. It should bring more publicity to Busch Gardens.

mad_mark

Oblivion at Alton Towers was the first vertical drop coaster and it too is very short, one drop into a tunnel and a very steeply banked curve and thats its but you have to ride it, it is unbelievable. Its one of my all time favorite rides, if you get one at Busch gardens you must try it!:sohappy:

speck76

Original Poster
Originally posted by flyersmv
If the plans that sum1 had a link to go through its sooo dumb for even making it...its a ride ppl will ride once or 2wice...if they are going to make a dive machine make one like HErshey PArk in PA is making...Storm Runner...that actually has a ride and inversions etc.....heres a video of stormrunner

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/rides/new_attraction/virtual_movie.html

That is not a "dive machine"

You're right, it is a one trick pony, although it is a nice trick. Since it is so unique, it will get ppl in the door, at least once...that is all that it really needs to do.

Figment1986

I wish I could get more information in this ride, BGT wont reveal it to the general public... However everyone knows stanlyville is getting a New Thrill Ride.. mostly a dive mechine it is a small space for anything else i can think of...

ogryn

Indeed... Storm Runner is an Intamin Rocket Coaster, the third that has been built (#1 = Xcelerator, #2 = Top Thrill Dragster) and the first one to feature inversions.

If rumours are to be believed, we will be getting two Rocket Coasters here in the UK in 2006.

StevenT

A little off topic here but Flyersmv, not to be rude but people can read what you are sayin a whole lot better if you spell things out and use correct English. Just suggesting. :D :D :D

Back on topic, if you want to see some video of Oblivion check out the Alton Towers website at http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/
Click Park Info, then Expericane, Thrill Seekers, X-Sector.

Walter

It would definately be interesting to see a dive machine here, I always wanted to try one. Oblivion always looked great to me, but the downside is that they're so shrot, and do nothing but one drop. If what they mean by "other elements" is a longer coaster, I'm all for it. Maybe if they put some helixes and inversions after the long drop, they'll have a chance of getting people on the ride more than once. After all, people need a reason to go to BG.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom