bus services to hotels

Sorcerer Mickey

I heard of this too, but I sure hope not, it sounds too confusing and I wouldnt want alot of people calling the bus i'm on for a straight 2 hours just to get to a park.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
It wasn't up and running in that fashion as of sunday. I seriously doubt they'll do that, because then the buses will be slower than they are now.

Maria

I can only imagine the confussion this would cause. It´s ok for us who speak English, but for the ones who don´t, it would be a nightmare trying to understand how the system works and what they are supposed to do to get the bus to come pick them up. I just think it is a lot easier for everyone speaking any language in the world, to just have the buses running constantly with the name of the resort on it and period! When you are on vacation, you don´t really want to think too much! hehe ;)

PrincessK

That scares me. The bus system is already a nightmare....

Thank God my next trip I'm on the monorail....

Question: Weren't there plans to extend the monorail line to MGM? What happened to that?

Kristin

Sorcerer Mickey

I believe they wont have monorail extensions right now because of the economy problems, plus, two rides are in construction:Journey into Imagination and Mission:SPACE. M:S Seems to be taking up alot of money, and it seems monorail extenstions cost too much. But, I dont see how they can make an extension to AK or MGM.

Smee

Don't expect a monorail extension anytime soon. The capital cost is just too high for something that doesn't produce revenue or entice people to enter the parks. You can refurbish or purchase a lot of buses and boats for the cost of 1 mile of monorail.

Like it or not the bus system is great for Disney. They can go everywhere and be dispatched on a moments notice. Disney also is very good at buying old buses and rebuilding them from the ground up for much less than the purchase price of a new bus. The motorpool building behind the magic kingdom is huge and highly efficient at keeping the buses working.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Smee
Disney also is very good at buying old buses and rebuilding them from the ground up for much less than the purchase price of a new bus. The motorpool building behind the magic kingdom is huge and highly efficient at keeping the buses working.

they also bought those 10 new Canadian buses- from what I was told by a transportation manager, Disney plans on phasing out the GMC buses with the new canadian ones (sorry- I can't remember the name!!).. it sounds cool, but to me it doesn't make too much sense, considering how many of the old Miami and NYC Metro GMC buses they have lying around for parts.. oh well

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm sure they won't totally do away with them. On busy nights, they have been known to call out the cruise line buses for reinforcements. Having more buses around is always a good thing.

Invero

Actually, from what I am to understand, we didn't buy the new Nova LFS busses, but rather leased them. (Although I could be mistaken on that.) As for numbers, I beleive we have recieved 25 of them, and have 18 more on order. The new shipment of busses will differ slightly, in that the windows won't have a bar across the top third of them. They are also testing a bus with fabric seats and cushions on the handrails, so we might start seeing those on the new batch, if they prove worthy.

As for replacing the old RTS busses, some will be taken out of service... others will be reconditioned and brought back into service. The RTS bus is a strong, durable, proven bus, and there's no reason to take a bus out of service if it's still running great.

The new system we have in place for the busses is called "Magic On Demand" It's designed so that busses will be dispatched by demand. So if there's a huge crowd at one of the All Star resorts for the Magic Kingdom, they'll dispatch extra busses to that location to meet the demand. This system is designed so that the busses will be utilized more efficiently. Now, of course, there are still some kinks to be worked out in the system, but we're working hard to resolve them.

I personally use Disney Transport all the time when I visit the parks, and I've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for a bus. Although, I'm sure during peak times, the wait might be a little more. I know there have been times when I've heard of enormous waits during park exits for certain resorts, but when you really think about it, it's to be expected. I mean, you have 30,000 people all exiting the Magic Kingdom at the same time, so my suggestion is that you either leave a little bit early, or you mingle around the shops in the park till it quiets down.

Oh, and as Fievel pointed out, yes, sometimes we will call in Mears or other charter busses to come in and help us with the exits. I remember on 9/11/01 when we had to evacuate the park, they brought in a few Mears and Dynamic busses I believe.

As for the Monorail Expansions... don't hold your breath. Like Smee said in an earlier post, it's simply more cost efficient to use busses rather than expand the Monorail. Rumor had the proposed expansion to be over one billion dollars. That's an awful lot of money for a non-revenue generating item.

In addition, in order to do so, we'd have to totally rebuild the current monorail system in order to incorporate it. Not a fun idea.

Don't get me wrong though... being a Monorail Pilot, we all would LOVE to see new trains and a system expansion. Then again, we'd also all love to have Eisner's bonus. ;)

All in all... when you really think about it... Disney Transport is a very complex system that runs pretty darn efficiently. I was once told that we are the 7th largest transportation system in the country. I think we do pretty well.

Lofatrules

yeah as far as I can tell Disney runs a system that rivals and is larger than most public transportation systems and I think that they don't do to badly. It is definately easier to get around Disney World than it is to say get around Philadelphia as anyone who has used SEPTA will vouch for

PrincessK

I apologize if I've offended anyone...

It's probably because I'm there at busy times of year that are hot as hell that I prefer the Monorail to the buses.

But it sounds like they're improving the systems all across the board, so it sounds good!

Kristin

Maria

Originally posted by Lofatrules
yeah as far as I can tell Disney runs a system that rivals and is larger than most public transportation systems and I think that they don't do to badly. It is definately easier to get around Disney World than it is to say get around Philadelphia as anyone who has used SEPTA will vouch for

You don´t need to go that far.... Orlando doesn´t have a public bus service! There is only a little service around downtown Orlando, but if you would die waiting for one to take you somewhere... it is very limited and you rarely see them.

I guess the reason is b/c everybody comes in a tour group or drives, but seriously, you die if u don´t have a car in Orlando! Don´t even think of a taxi... way too expensive!

dopey

i just love how they cut back the service and give it a name like "magic on demand."

the magic used to just be there waiting.

they could eliminate buses altogether and call it "the magic of disney walking tours" and we'd be like, "wow! we can actually walk from our resort to the parks?!!! what a great idea!"

someone please remind me: where exactly do we lemmings line up? :D

Invero

the magic used to just be there waiting.

That's the thing... now instead of the bus just sitting there empty and unutilized... they take it, and send it to a location where it will be used more efficiently.

jimb

Original Poster
thanks

thanks for answering the fears, we off there next year and just woanted to know if this is going to affect us. we are staying at the riverside [dixie landings]

:)

monorail256

I think they should just put monorails all over walt disney world. Everyone seems to really enjoy them, for the price of the busses it might be worth their while.... but of course the long wait would be missed... not to mention the funny bus drivers (UNLESS THEY ARE RUDE AND TRY TO HIT YOU!!):p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom