Bus Horror Stories

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Was curious if anyone has any good ones. I will kick it off with one from several years back.
We normally rent a car but still take the busses now and then, especially to downtown disney. On this occasion we were staying at PORS and had taken the boat down to enjoy pleasure island. We had a great time and decided to leave an hour before closing to beat the rush. After getting on the bus at the depot we settled into our seats with the other ten or so passengers. It was about a quarter full. Then we waited...and waited...finally after fifteen minutes I asked the driver why we had not moved, especially since every other bus had left. She simply responded she was gonna wait till more people came, closer to closing.
At this point we were exhausted, and there was also a special needs person on the bus whose parents were doing their best to keep him calm. After we had sat there a half hour I complained again to the driver again, who told me her manager said to stay there till closing.
I got off the bus found some other drivers and voiced my concerns..shortly after we moved but we had sat there by that point for over almost 30 minutes. It was the most bizarre thing I ever experienced on a bus at disney and thankfully my other bus experiences have been pretty good.

Last edited:

StarshipDisney

I would not call it a horror story, but I will never stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge again both due to the very long walk from your room to the bus stop plus it seemed like you were on the bus forever. It was a long bus ride to anywhere...or at least it seemed like it to us. It was nice to stay there once but never again...mainly because of the bus service.

DManRightHere

15 minutes I could understand...and I have never experienced anything like that. It may have been a bizare situation on management side maybe...I doubt it though.

DManRightHere

I would not call it a horror story, but I will never stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge again both due to the very long walk from your room to the bus stop plus it seemed like you were on the bus forever. It was a long bus ride to anywhere...or at least it seemed like it to us. It was nice to stay there once but never again...mainly because of the bus service.

We enjoy AKL. It is a long walk to the rooms, but we think it is worth it for the great views!

As for busses, they're more timely and frequent than any other resorts we've stayed at. CS was close competitor though. The only long bus ride is to MK and DD. I think I timed it 19 minutes to MK. (hopefully DD has changed now that they have changed up parking).

mouse_luv

Yeah, try again. It might have "seemed forever" for you to get anywhere from AKL but it's not forever to get anywhere.
MK is about 12 mins
EPCOT is about 11-12mins
DHS is about 12mins
AK is about 5 mins

DisneyDreamer08

Our 2 bad bus experiences (both several years ago)-

One night we were leaving Epcot after Illuminations, heading back to AKL, and they packed us onto the bus, as they always do. My husband and I were standing, as were several other people. We were jammed so close together on the hottest September night. Everyone was tired and hot. Then the driver tells us the AC is broken so he will drive with the door open. Seems safe. A few minutes into the drive, this poor little baby starts screaming crying. I see the parents stripping it's clothing off, til the poor little thing is down to its diaper. I'm sure it was the heat and close quarters. It felt like the longest ride ever between the heat, standing so close to everyone and the screaming.

Our other bad bus experience was actually with the Magical Express. Hubs and I were checking of of All Star Sports many years ago and we didn't realize the Magical Express bus might not say "Magical Express". As we were waiting with our luggage, in the correct spot, a Mears bus pulled up. The driver just pulled up, sat there for a a few minutes, then pulled away. Hubs and I continued to wait for a Magical Express bus and when none arrived, we questioned a CM. He checked his log and said it already came. We said, no, only a Mears bus did. He said that was it. We had no clue. He told us to wait for the next bus and we should be fine. Another bus pulled up a while later, the driver came out the bus and yelled, 'Disney's Magical Express, service to the airport!" super loud. We were like, seriously? This was back in 2007, before online check in. So by the time we got to the airport and checked in for Southwest, my husband was actually put on stand by (I guess the flight was over booked by one). Thankfully another passenger agreed to take a later flight so we were still able to fly home together (although we boarded last so we couldn't sit together). It was so stressful!

Last edited:

anchorman314

A few years ago, we were at OKW waiting for a bus to the MK. When the bus arrived, we got on, along with a bunch of other guests. Now, most guests are somewhat familiar with general directions from OKW to MK; left out of the resort, right on Bonnet Creek, left on Vista. When we didn't turn right on Bonnet Creek, everyone started looking around at each other, but just shrugged their shoulders and figured the driver was taking a different route. But then we started heading south and people started speaking up. "This isn't the way to the MK." The driver replied that we weren't supposed to be going there, but were supposed to go to DHS. There was almost a mutiny. He didn't believe the bus-full of passengers saying that the sign on the outside said MK. Of course, he had to get on the radio and sort everything out. It ended up taking us about 30 minutes to get to the MK.

Courtney6682

We almost got in an accident with another bus at FQ in April. My daughter and I were alone on the bus one early evening and as we pulled up to the bus stop at FQ another bus pulled out in front of us. Our driver started screaming and yelling at the other driver...''What are you DOING?!'' ...we were INCHES away from an accident....

Kate Alan

A few years ago, we were at OKW waiting for a bus to the MK. When the bus arrived, we got on, along with a bunch of other guests. Now, most guests are somewhat familiar with general directions from OKW to MK; left out of the resort, right on Bonnet Creek, left on Vista. When we didn't turn right on Bonnet Creek, everyone started looking around at each other, but just shrugged their shoulders and figured the driver was taking a different route. But then we started heading south and people started speaking up. "This isn't the way to the MK." The driver replied that we weren't supposed to be going there, but were supposed to go to DHS. There was almost a mutiny. He didn't believe the bus-full of passengers saying that the sign on the outside said MK. Of course, he had to get on the radio and sort everything out. It ended up taking us about 30 minutes to get to the MK.

We had something similar happen - our bus was supposed to be going to DHS but we instead wound up at AK. Wasn't until the bus driver made it into the parking lot that he realized his mistake and turned us around. I was actually surprised more people weren't telling him it was the wrong way/park, but I chalk it up to being the first bus of a very early morning - people were so tired they just weren't paying attention and assumed the driver knew where he was going.

rob0519

Actually, it's not a bus horror story, more a passenger story. We were staying at the GF last July and had an early morning ADR at Chef Mickey's. As we approached the main building to board the monorail there was a sign saying it was not running, please use the bus service. So we walk over to the bus stop and we're told that there will be a direct bus to the CR along shortly (shortly is not a good measure of time). Anyway, the bus is not showing up and this one man is getting really agitated with the transportation cast member about how he is going to be late to his ADR at Chef Mickey's. Still no bus and now he is getting louder and his wife is getting more embarrassed. Finally a bus shows up that says MK on the sign and he starts yelling that MK is right next the CR and this bus needs to take him to the CR right now because of all the money he's paid for this trip, etc.. He boarded the bus and told his wife to get on as well. The driver and transportation cast member shrugged their shoulders and off they went. Two minutes later the bus we were waiting for showed up. We were the only 5 people on the bus which went straight to the CR. Apparently the bus the other two boarded stopped at MK first so, we actually beat them to the restaurant.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Actually, it's not a bus horror story, more a passenger story. We were staying at the GF last July and had an early morning ADR at Chef Mickey's. As we approached the main building to board the monorail there was a sign saying it was not running, please use the bus service. So we walk over to the bus stop and we're told that there will be a direct bus to the CR along shortly (shortly is not a good measure of time). Anyway, the bus is not showing up and this one man is getting really agitated with the transportation cast member about how he is going to be late to his ADR at Chef Mickey's. Still no bus and now he is getting louder and his wife is getting more embarrassed. Finally a bus shows up that says MK on the sign and he starts yelling that MK is right next the CR and this bus needs to take him to the CR right now because of all the money he's paid for this trip, etc.. He boarded the bus and told his wife to get on as well. The driver and transportation cast member shrugged their shoulders and off they went. Two minutes later the bus we were waiting for showed up. We were the only 5 people on the bus which went straight to the CR. Apparently the bus the other two boarded stopped at MK first so, we actually beat them to the restaurant.
Did you happen to eat near them? I can imagine how much fun they were having

J_Krafty24

My s-i-l's magical express driver got lost on the way to all star and started driving in circles. After passing the McDonalds 3 times she called my mom who went to the front desk to tell them their bus driver was lost. Mom was assured that doesnt happen an the bus would be there shortly. She explained she was on the phone with someone on the bus and that it was circling. Two more trips past McDonalds and it found its way to the resort.

mhaftman7

Worst one we had was when we took our oldest son for his first trip to DW. Stayed at POP and when taking the bus back to the airport, the bus driver felt it to be unnecessary to stop at the gate. The arm came down on the completely full bus and spider webbed the first three windows on the passenger side. Waited 20 minutes for a back up bus. Was told that a representative would greet us at the airport to take our information. Got to the airport and waited 45 minutes before coming to terms that no one would be taking our information.

Missymoe4

Was curious if anyone has any good ones. I will kick it off with one from several years back.
We normally rent a car but still take the busses now and then, especially to downtown disney. On this occasion we were staying at PORS and had taken the boat down to enjoy pleasure island. We had a great time and decided to leave an hour before closing to beat the rush. After getting on the bus at the depot we settled into our seats with the other ten or so passengers. It was about a quarter full. Then we waited...and waited...finally after fifteen minutes I asked the driver why we had not moved, especially since every other bus had left. She simply responded she was gonna wait till more people came, closer to closing.
At this point we were exhausted, and there was also a special needs person on the bus whose parents were doing their best to keep him calm. After we had sat there a half hour I complained again to the driver again, who told me her manager said to stay there till closing.
I got off the bus found some other drivers and voiced my concerns..shortly after we moved but we had sat there by that point for over almost 30 minutes. It was the most bizarre thing I ever experienced on a bus at disney and thankfully my other bus experiences have been pretty good.

This is terrible. Not only was I frustrated for you, but also the family with the special needs child. As a secondary special education teacher, I totally understand how difficult it is to keep a child calm. Ugh.

I was on the other side of the spectrum as you. After a day at downtown Disney (this was about 5 years back) my party walks to the bus stop to get back to our resort for dinner at Cinderella Castle. We were at the bus depot 3 hours before our reservation (we planned accordingly to account for travel times to/from all places and time to get dressed for dinner).

We waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. After 15 minutes we were already debating hiring a cab, but as another bus swung around the corner, we hoped and prayed for it to be ours. We didn't want to spend money on a cab (we were all a bit tight on money), we ended up waiting 45 minutes for our bus. I was outraged, and voiced my opinion (respectfully) to the bus driver and the front desk at the resort. We skipped showers and simply freshened up for our special dinner.

I don't know what the heck was going on, but it was sure frustrating. Now, I take Uber. Solves so many problems and doesn't really cost much (it saves my sanity).

Last edited:

Missymoe4

Yeah, try again. It might have "seemed forever" for you to get anywhere from AKL but it's not forever to get anywhere.
MK is about 12 mins
EPCOT is about 11-12mins
DHS is about 12mins
AK is about 5 mins

On the flipside, it seems to take forever to get from MK resorts to the AK. I guess we just have to pick the long drive.

Missymoe4

2.5+ hours on a bus stuck from TTC to HS on our way to the inaugural Villains Unleashed event, only to be dropped off at Boardwalk instead...still a better wait (and half the time it seems) than Frozen.

Why was it stuck?

When I stayed at the WL one trip, we took a bus to Epcot and had over an hour wait due to a fender bender on the road (I don't recall the cross streets).

mouse_luv

On the flipside, it seems to take forever to get from MK resorts to the AK. I guess we just have to pick the long drive.

Regardless how long it "seems" to take, those are the ETA's.

And now to directly answer your question: MK Resorts to AK park take:
From GF 11mins
From Poly 10mins
From Contemp: 13 mins
From WL: 16mins

Missymoe4

My s-i-l's magical express driver got lost on the way to all star and started driving in circles. After passing the McDonalds 3 times she called my mom who went to the front desk to tell them their bus driver was lost. Mom was assured that doesnt happen an the bus would be there shortly. She explained she was on the phone with someone on the bus and that it was circling. Two more trips past McDonalds and it found its way to the resort.

By the 5th trip around I would have requested a Big Mac. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom