Burning Settler's Cabin

Dragonman

Original Poster
The Burning Settler's Cabin has always been a favorite site on Tom Sawyer's Island but the burning effect has been gone for years.
Many early pictures how the cabin looking rather nice despite being on fire with some plant life around it.
WDW-304A%20-%20Frontier%20Settler's%20Burning%20Cabin.jpg

Several images show the yard in disrepair however.
WDW-312%20-%20Indains%20Burn%20Settler's%20Cabin.jpg

Originally it was the target of a native attack with it's occupant lying dead in plain sight with an arrow in his chest.
911cb95b7ec840a7b45c48b63392371c.jpg

It was changed in the 80's to a moonshine accident to acknowledge PC standards.
ma5DYRB.jpg

In the late 90's the body was removed, the flames were turned off and the yard was cleaned up a bit.
FL1977-01.jpg

The yard was messed up again and the whole thing looked abandoned until recently when a new smoking effect was installed. I highly doubt we will ever see the flames again
maxresdefault.jpg

Roknrollrghostr

This is pretty cool. I didn't know the background on this at all. I found some other information on yesterland about the reason they don't have the flames anymore:

"The Liberty Belle riverboat went down for “rehab” in September 2005 for nearly a year. Because guests would not see the Burning Settler’s Cabin, Magic Kingdom management turned off the flames. The riverboat came back, but the flames didn’t. The pipes that supplied the propane (which were the original pipes from 1971) had deteriorated due to age and a year of not being used."

Can you see the cabin from anywhere else but the Liberty Belle? I'll have to look out for it on my next trip.

Oddysey

This is pretty cool. I didn't know the background on this at all. I found some other information on yesterland about the reason they don't have the flames anymore:

"The Liberty Belle riverboat went down for “rehab” in September 2005 for nearly a year. Because guests would not see the Burning Settler’s Cabin, Magic Kingdom management turned off the flames. The riverboat came back, but the flames didn’t. The pipes that supplied the propane (which were the original pipes from 1971) had deteriorated due to age and a year of not being used."

Can you see the cabin from anywhere else but the Liberty Belle? I'll have to look out for it on my next trip.

Thank you to the OP and thank you Rok for posting on this. I remember seeing the effect some time in 2004/2005 with frequency. I noticed the effect was abandoned, but I never knew the reasoning behind it.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only Tom Sawyer Island fan in the universe. LOL! I'm so glad that I have my little boy to go over there with me because my wife really isn't all that big of a fan of it. I think it's really fun though. I love going through the cave and the barrel bridges and my little boy loves "shooting" over at Thunder Mountain.

21stamps

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only Tom Sawyer Island fan in the universe. LOL! I'm so glad that I have my little boy to go over there with me because my wife really isn't all that big of a fan of it. I think it's really fun though. I love going through the cave and the barrel bridges and my little boy loves "shooting" over at Thunder Mountain.

It's a must do for me on every visit!

21stamps

Me too!

I lost my DS one time. He was sitting in a fort tower shooting up the BTMR trains, and I went right past him, along the tunnel, round the whole island again and finally found him still there. We had just as much fun when he was 16 ;). I love the peace from the frenetic atmosphere of MK.

Same here. Me and and my bother used to play hide and go seek there when we were younger. I could see losing my son there accidentally as well lol. Tom Sawyer Island and the Treehouse are 2 of my favorite MK attractions.. actually, Disney World attractions period. 2 places to just explore and use our own imagination :)

Rob562

You can see it on the right as you exit the first lift hill on Big Thunder, though it's only a fleeting glimpse. (Better view if you're in the front waiting for the back to make it over the hill) I think the view is blocked as you turn into the third lift.

-Rob

Roknrollrghostr

You can see it on the right as you exit the first lift hill on Big Thunder, though it's only a fleeting glimpse. (Better view if you're in the front waiting for the back to make it over the hill) I think the view is blocked as you turn into the third lift.

-Rob
Thank you!

drwadadli

I liked the old burning cabin but I am sure it more of a safety thing these days as to why the flames are gone. If it is true that the flames are back, I like that even more.

Goofyernmost

The fire left not to long after the cost of petroleum products went through the roof, physically and literally. I have never thought of it as anything other then the opportunity to save a lot of money and spin it off as doing something to conserve our natural resources. Good or bad, that is really the reason as far as I can tell. Actually, as far as I am concerned it was the right call no matter what the actual motivation was. I thought it was cool to see the building burning, but, it was a huge waste of money and resources.

Smiley/OCD

I would like the paintbrushes back!!!

Rob562

The fire left not to long after the cost of petroleum products went through the roof, physically and literally. I have never thought of it as anything other then the opportunity to save a lot of money and spin it off as doing something to conserve our natural resources. Good or bad, that is really the reason as far as I can tell. Actually, as far as I am concerned it was the right call no matter what the actual motivation was. I thought it was cool to see the building burning, but, it was a huge waste of money and resources.

In the early days there were three attractions that could see the cabin: riverboat, keelboats and canoes. (Not to mention the glimpses from Big Thunder) The cabin would have to stay burning the entire time.

Since it's mostly just the riverboat now, I wonder how difficult it would be to put a sensor on the effect to only play while the riverboat is in sight. Even work it into a show as you pass where it starts as done smoke, then a few small flames, then the full house effects. After the boat passes, they quickly die out.

-Rob

Goofyernmost

I think the problem is more of a PC problem. Isn't that cabin burning form an attack?
Probably, but, historically stuff like that did happen. All they have to do is not verbally bring attention to why there is a fire, just that there is a fire. It still works graphically either way. What it looks like now is a charred mess that was the result of an attack, so, I fail to see the difference. Current or after... same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom