Bummed about Beach Club

carriehpotter

Original Poster
This is my first time posting a thread (besides my new member intro) and it's mostly just because I'm sad. My family and I are DVC members. Our home resort is Wilderness Lodge. We booked our 2016 trip for November 26 (yes, the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend) through December 10 exactly at our eleventh-month mark.

We really enjoyed staying at Boardwalk in 2014 during F&W, so we wanted to stay in the Epcot Resort Area again (my mom has a bad knee and really enjoyed not having to trek to WS from the front of Epcot). We settled on Beach Club because my mom loves to spend time in the pool and Stormalong Bay was calling her name. Today was our seventh-month mark (the earliest you can switch to another DVC resort). We called right at 9 a.m. EST and we were told that Beach Club was already fully booked, as was Boardwalk. They wait-listed us. For some reason, this has hit me really hard. :cry:

I understand that Thanksgiving weekend is really busy, but everything I've ever read indicates that the week after Thanksgiving and early-mid December were a little slower (though no time is truly slow anymore, we know). Does anyone here know if we have a decent chance of getting off the wait list and getting into Beach Club or Boardwalk? We wanted to avoid Wilderness Lodge because of all the construction that's ongoing. If there's anything we should have done differently (real suggestions only, please), also let me know. Thanks for listening. :(

StarWarsGirl

Oh boy, that stinks.

Beach Club's rooms were recently refurbished (including the villas), which is probably why you are having trouble getting in there.

I'd stay on the list; there's always a chance. Unfortunately, the owners at BCV tend to snap up the rooms.

dreamfinder

Maybe try the DVC sub forum to get more feedback as to wait list success stories, but I'd also suggest checking out the online availability tool on the DVC Members website. This will let you see where exactly there is availability. You may find out that just one night that is keeping you from getting in, so you may be able to do a split stay of some sort.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is my first time posting a thread (besides my new member intro) and it's mostly just because I'm sad. My family and I are DVC members. Our home resort is Wilderness Lodge. We booked our 2016 trip for November 26 (yes, the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend) through December 10 exactly at our eleventh-month mark.

We really enjoyed staying at Boardwalk in 2014 during F&W, so we wanted to stay in the Epcot Resort Area again (my mom has a bad knee and really enjoyed not having to trek to WS from the front of Epcot). We settled on Beach Club because my mom loves to spend time in the pool and Stormalong Bay was calling her name. Today was our seventh-month mark (the earliest you can switch to another DVC resort). We called right at 9 a.m. EST and we were told that Beach Club was already fully booked, as was Boardwalk. They wait-listed us. For some reason, this has hit me really hard. :cry:

I understand that Thanksgiving weekend is really busy, but everything I've ever read indicates that the week after Thanksgiving and early-mid December were a little slower (though no time is truly slow anymore, we know). Does anyone here know if we have a decent chance of getting off the wait list and getting into Beach Club or Boardwalk? We wanted to avoid Wilderness Lodge because of all the construction that's ongoing. If there's anything we should have done differently (real suggestions only, please), also let me know. Thanks for listening. :(
I am assuming that you are a relatively new DVC member. :D "Slow" in the parks has nothing to do with "slow" for DVC resort reservations. The first 2 weeks of December are pretty much the lowest point cost for DVC resorts during the year, so they all fill pretty quickly with the members that own at those resorts, especially the smaller resorts such as BC due to all the Christmas decorations being up. Even SSR and OKW fill up during those 2 weeks with DVC members.

While anything is possible with your waitlist, it is highly doubtful that it will come through, since BC is so small. But good luck!

awilliams4

Late November, early December is very popular with DVC. Not suprised that BCV and BWV are not available. What accommodations are you trying to get? If they are Studios, the introduction of the Polynesian didn't help as now there are many many more Studio people competing at 7 months.

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Oh boy, that stinks.

Beach Club's rooms were recently refurbished (including the villas), which is probably why you are having trouble getting in there.

I'd stay on the list; there's always a chance. Unfortunately, the owners at BCV tend to snap up the rooms.
That was part of the reason we wanted to stay there, too. Makes sense that other people would think the same way. We'll definitely stay on the list, because you never know what may happen. Thank you :)

Maybe try the DVC sub forum to get more feedback as to wait list success stories, but I'd also suggest checking out the online availability tool on the DVC Members website. This will let you see where exactly there is availability. You may find out that just one night that is keeping you from getting in, so you may be able to do a split stay of some sort.
That's a great idea. We'll have to do that. I appreciate your help :)

I am assuming that you are a relatively new DVC member.
clip_image001.png
"Slow" in the parks has nothing to do with "slow" for DVC resort reservations. The first 2 weeks of December are pretty much the lowest point cost for DVC resorts during the year, so they all fill pretty quickly with the members that own at those resorts, especially the smaller resorts such as BC due to all the Christmas decorations being up. Even SSR and OKW fill up during those 2 weeks with DVC members.

While anything is possible with your waitlist, it is highly doubtful that it will come through, since BC is so small. But good luck!
We've actually been members since 2001. However, we only recently started branching out to stay anywhere other than our home resort (like I said in my first post, 2014 was our first foray). So we've never faced having to worry about "slow" vs. "popular" times for DVC members, because we were always assured a spot at our home resort. We love Wilderness Lodge, so we've never had reason to stay elsewhere. In 2014, we stayed at Boardwalk because of F&W. This time, we wanted to stay in the Epcot Area because my mom liked the shorter walk a lot, and WL is a construction zone.

That's a very good point about the resorts filling up quickly with their own members, since the point values are so low. I never realized how small the BC Villas were. I appreciate your advice. I'll stay on the wait list, just in case, but thank you for your candor. :)

Late November, early December is very popular with DVC. Not suprised that BCV and BWV are not available. What accommodations are you trying to get? If they are Studios, the introduction of the Polynesian didn't help as now there are many many more Studio people competing at 7 months.
We were trying for a studio, yes. I never thought of how many more people Polynesian added to the mix. We usually get a one-bedroom, but we are saving points for next year! I never realized this time of year was so popular with other DVC members. It is something I will most definitely keep in mind moving forward. Thank you! :)

slappy magoo

It's not necessarily that it's "fully booked," so much as you're going for 2 weeks, which is very hard to book beyond the 11-month mark for any one DVC unit.

If you don't mind splitting the trip up, you might get at least a few days there. I just checked for a 1 week stay starting 11/26. A 1BR unit is available for that entire week, BUT NOT THE NEXT. Assuming you and your family need a 1BR unit (I don't think you ever wrote about how big a room you need), could you make do with one week there and 1 week at WL or somewhere else? Also, if you pushed check-in back 1 day, you could get a 2BR unit at Beach Club for a week, too (the 26th is booked). And according to the website, a 1BR unit at Boardwalk is available (Garden/Pool View) throughout your entire trip. A 2BR Lockoff Garden/Pool View has availability for at least the first 5 nights of your trip. First 5 nights available in a studio, too . Call Guest services and see what they can do about any kind of split stay, you might at least get some time there.

Last edited:

carriehpotter

Original Poster
It's not necessarily that it's "fully booked," so much as you're going for 2 weeks, which is very hard to book beyond the 11-month mark for any one DVC unit.

If you don't mind splitting the trip up, you might get at least a few days there. I just checked for a 1 week stay starting 11/26. A 1BR unit is available for that entire week, BUT NOT THE NEXT. Assuming you and your family need a 1BR unit (I don't think you ever wrote about how big a room you need), could you make do with one week there and 1 week at WL or somewhere else? Also, if you pushed check-in back 1 day, you could get a 2BR unit at Beach Club for a week, too (the 26th is booked). And according to the website, a 1BR unit at Boardwalk is available (Garden/Pool View) throughout your entire trip. A 2BR Lockoff Garden/Pool View has availability for at least the first 5 nights of your trip. First 5 nights available in a studio, too . Call Guest services and see what they can do about any kind of split stay, you might at least get some time there.
I really, really appreciate the time you put into checking this, @slappy magoo. We're staying in a studio this time (we usually stay in a 1BR, but we're saving points for next year), so I will definitely tell my mom (she's the one who insists on calling to make the reservations, no matter how much I offer to do so!) to check into those five days in a studio you mentioned (at Boardwalk, I assume?). No matter how much I coach her, she always takes the Disney rep's word as law and never tries to find out if, say, something like the first five days were available even if the whole week was not. Again, thank you for your advice and help!! :)

slappy magoo

Again, thank you for your advice and help!! :)

Happy to try. It's possible your mom didn't think to ask about split stays - you're going for 14 days, you need a room for 14 days, if she didn't think to ask if any portion of those days were available, they wouldn't tell you. But on the DVC website, you can see which rooms are available for any given day, any given month. Even if your mom isn't web-savvy, you can a: ask if she doesn't mind swithcing resorts mid-stay (if she doesn't know, Disney will even move the luggage for you, you still have to pack up, but when you check in, your bags should be there waiting for you or shortly thereafter), and b: suggest she call and ask if any studio rooms are available for any part of the trip.

And yes. As of last night, the first 5 nights of your trip, a studio in Boardwalk (standard view) was available. Good luck.

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Hi all! I really appreciated everyone's help, encouragement, and advice, so I just wanted to update this thread with some good news! We officially booked a studio at Boardwalk for the first full week of our trip! We've been wait-listed for the second week, but we're hopeful for that week, too! And if not, Wilderness Lodge is lovely, construction and all. So even though it's not Beach Club, we're still staying in the Epcot Resort Area for at least half the trip and my mom's knees are very excited, haha :D

jim1051

[
Had similar issue but better luck. We are staying 11/25 to 12/3. Our Home resort is HH though. on 4/25 I had to take AKV for the week. I called every morning trying to switch to BCV. I was successful on April 28 to switch the rest of the week. So right now it is AKV for 3 nights and BCV for 5 nights. Waitlisted for the rest

TXDisney

We went to wdw that same time this last year and were very surprised how crowded it was. Read somewhere it had something to do with that's the last week Florida residents are blocked out before Christmas. Not sure about that though. I'm looking to purchase a DVC membership in the next couple years and I plan on making BCV my home resort. From my understanding if you're trying to switch resorts yearly it isn't always easy. So this year didn't work for you, just try a different resort and try again next year.

carriehpotter

Original Poster
[
Had similar issue but better luck. We are staying 11/25 to 12/3. Our Home resort is HH though. on 4/25 I had to take AKV for the week. I called every morning trying to switch to BCV. I was successful on April 28 to switch the rest of the week. So right now it is AKV for 3 nights and BCV for 5 nights. Waitlisted for the rest
Yay! I'm glad that you got BCV! Persistence pays off! Good luck getting the rest of the week! :)

We went to wdw that same time this last year and were very surprised how crowded it was. Read somewhere it had something to do with that's the last week Florida residents are blocked out before Christmas. Not sure about that though. I'm looking to purchase a DVC membership in the next couple years and I plan on making BCV my home resort. From my understanding if you're trying to switch resorts yearly it isn't always easy. So this year didn't work for you, just try a different resort and try again next year.
Oh gosh, I hope it's not too crowded! I'd read that the parks themselves were a little slower at that time (after Thanksgiving weekend, of course). I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Congrats on planning to purchase DVC! It was the best decision we've ever made, honestly. Just curious, though...are you planning to buy resale? Because I believe that's the only way you could get BCV as your home resort. Otherwise, currently DVC is only selling points for either the Polynesian or Aulani. I've considered resale to add some points to our membership, but there are restrictions. Either way, I hope you love DVC when you buy into it like we do! :)

dreamfinder

Congrats on planning to purchase DVC! It was the best decision we've ever made, honestly. Just curious, though...are you planning to buy resale? Because I believe that's the only way you could get BCV as your home resort. Otherwise, currently DVC is only selling points for either the Polynesian or Aulani. I've considered resale to add some points to our membership, but there are restrictions. Either way, I hope you love DVC when you buy into it like we do! :)

DVD will actually sell you points at any resort they own. They may only actively be promoting sales at the Poly and Aulani, but they will definitely sell you points at any property. However, they will need to wait until someone on the secondary market resells points that meet your requirements, so it may take a while. DVD will simply exercise their RoFR on a transaction, buy the points, and then sell them to the guest who is trying to buy them direct.

carriehpotter

Original Poster
DVD will actually sell you points at any resort they own. They may only actively be promoting sales at the Poly and Aulani, but they will definitely sell you points at any property. However, they will need to wait until someone on the secondary market resells points that meet your requirements, so it may take a while. DVD will simply exercise their RoFR on a transaction, buy the points, and then sell them to the guest who is trying to buy them direct.
Huh, I never knew this. Very interesting. Thank you!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
How essential are the quiet pool and beach to you? If you are happy with the noisier main pool (as I expect you are because you mention Stormalong) then you could stick to Wilderness Lodge. Some villa rooms have views of construction but overall it doesn't seem that bad.

Some good photos from villa rooms on this blog report http://blog.touringplans.com/2016/05/03/wilderness-lodge-villas-vacation-construction-update/
They're not very essential to us (though we did enjoy the quiet pool). As of right now, we have one week at Boardwalk and one at WL, so that very well may be how it ends up. We absolutely love WL (I see in your signature that your next trip will be your first time staying at WL...I'm sure you'll love it!), but we do like the convenience of the International Gateway for getting into Epcot (we spend a lot of time in World Showcase!). When I was at WL in October 2015, there seemed to be a lot of construction noise already, and they hadn't even walled off the quiet pool yet! But they will of course be a lot further along in their construction by now, as well as by the time you go, so the noise may not be as bad.

I'll just have to see how things shake out. Thank you for your help and enjoy one of WDW's best resorts!! :)

slappy magoo

Hi all! I really appreciated everyone's help, encouragement, and advice, so I just wanted to update this thread with some good news! We officially booked a studio at Boardwalk for the first full week of our trip! We've been wait-listed for the second week, but we're hopeful for that week, too! And if not, Wilderness Lodge is lovely, construction and all. So even though it's not Beach Club, we're still staying in the Epcot Resort Area for at least half the trip and my mom's knees are very excited, haha :D
You got a whole week, good for you. That's a nice surprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom