Build-A-Bear & RideMakerz Closing at Downtown Disney for New Dining

TP2000

Original Poster
This block of three stores is located directly next to the new Splitsville bowling alley building under construction. Build-A-Bear was an opening day location from January, 2001 as I remember.

12128905683_b31c531d0d_b.jpg

There are only two other RideMakerz stores in the USA; Branson, Missouri and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It opened at Downtown Disney around 2010.
f56563c6384793fa84f8e204490ab69d.jpg

Combined, this block would seem to offer a sizeable restaurant space, with an upper level patio that Build-A-Bear never used. I wonder if this will be one big restaurant, or divided up into two or three different dining locations?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
The original version of the story posted by the Register at 1:17pm had the word "September" used as the timeframe for these store closures. Then the story was edited by the Register at 5:12pm and the word "September" was removed. I wonder if Disney asked them to do that, or if that was just an error? September closing makes sense though.

Curious Constance

Surprised they ditched Build A Bear, but thankfully my kids are done with that chapter of their lives, so I'm excited for what new dining may be coming. I have a feeling Build A Bear will return though, just as soon as another suitable retail store is vacated.

mickEblu

What amazing dining experience awaits? Whatever it is, if I walk in there once, it will be more times than I walked Into Build-A-Bear.

Curious Constance

I hate how trendy DTD tries to be. With its surf shops and designer sunglasses. I have no desire to go to a mall on vacation. I hate the mall. I'm not sure what they could add to spice it up though.

D.Silentu

I am a little surprised that Build A Bear is closing, if only because it seemed like a rare venue actually suited to the people(families) going through Downtown Disney. I've always thought it strange that there are so many brand clothing retailers there and it's never surprising when one of those closes. I think it would be alright for the movie theater to stay, especially since Garden Walk closed theirs. The bowling alley is also probably a good move. Not that I spend much time at the "Disney mall," but I'm glad they seem to be looking to improve things.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
P.S. I can only imagine that losing the House Of Blues was a major blow. Parks and hotels excepted, I can't think of any other outside draw that attracted people to Downtown Disney.

Disney asked House of Blues to leave, not the other way around. Although House of Blues was being cranky about the parking situation. Their new locale cost them a fortune and was horribly delayed, and their business is struggling any time they don't have a band there. At their Downtown Disney spot they could get people eating dinner and drinking there even without a band; not so for their GardenWalk location.

Same with this; Disney has told Build-A-Bear and RideMakerz that their time is up. Disney wants to build new dining instead, as they see that as a better profit generator.

mickEblu

Let's take a guess at what the new dining would be. I'm thinking something Asian as there is not one Asian restaurant at DLR outside of Lucky Fortune at DCA if I'm not mistaken. Sushi would be cool even though I hear the bowling alley would have that too. A good Chinese restaurant? Japanese hibachi? Or how about a good burger place? That's also missing at DLR.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Let's take a guess at what the new dining would be. I'm thinking something Asian as there is not one Asian restaurant at DLR outside of Lucky Fortune at DCA if I'm not mistaken. Sushi would be cool even though I hear the bowling alley would have that too. A good Chinese restaurant? Japanese hibachi? Or how about a good burger place? That's also missing at DLR.

An Asian style restaurant would be nice. Perhaps Morimoto will do a restaurant there, the Morimoto Asia restaurant in Disney Springs at WDW is really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom