Bug repellent in hotel room

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I read that for some people who don't like to spray too much DEET on their skin, it is also effective to spray it on their clothing instead. (However, some synthetics, such as rayon, might not be the best choice. Natural fabrics such as cotton, will not be affected by DEET.)

I use liquid DEET and its very effective on clothes. The only issue is that DEET degrades many plastics

cdeev8690

I saw a can in my All Star Movies room but didn't realize that they had specifically left it for us to use as there was no card with it. It was on the shelf above the sink area and I assumed someone had left it behind. Welp!

righttrack

I think the reason people don't feel like they've been bitten at WDW is because they are always on the move. Typically you'll find that if you sit outside with a group of people, you'll attract them more. I recall all of us getting bit quite a bit at Fantasmic or at the American Pavillion watching some tribute band. I don't remember having much of a problem otherwise, though YMMV.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I read that for some people who don't like to spray too much DEET on their skin, it is also effective to spray it on their clothing instead. (However, some synthetics, such as rayon, might not be the best choice. Natural fabrics such as cotton, will not be affected by DEET.)
It is also worth noting that many watch faces, eye glasses and sunglasses are made of polycarbonate which also do not react well to DEET.

I found that out the hard way a couple of decades ago.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For deployments to south and Central America, to get enough for the whole unit, I have had to spend days driving to local hardware and camping stores buying all their DEET up and people thinking I was crazy.

We have a base nearby and you can always tell when a unit is deploying to skeeter country the shelves are bare of liquid DEET

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think the reason people don't feel like they've been bitten at WDW is because they are always on the move. Typically you'll find that if you sit outside with a group of people, you'll attract them more. I recall all of us getting bit quite a bit at Fantasmic or at the American Pavillion watching some tribute band. I don't remember having much of a problem otherwise, though YMMV.

Mosquitos locate prey by being sensitive to CO2 gas plumes, It's how Mosquito Magnets work they generate a massive CO2 plume and draw the skeeters in to that warm area rich with CO2 gas and then the heat from the gas generator dehydrates the nasty little buggers, You can feed them to birds and fish as a treat...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
May I ask where I can find the spray in the parks? Are there dispensers all over? At First Aid? I'm trying to cut down on what I'm lugging around if possible.
There are multiple stations in each park. They look like this:

IMG_6419.JPG

awelpjourneys

So if someone were staying in a resort and did not find insect repellent in the room, I'm assuming Mousekeeping or the front desk could supply it? Or is that not a safe assumption?

KrzyKtty

We will be staying in POR-Riverside mid June. Does anyone know if they will still be doing this by then, or should I buy some and pack it with us?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We will be staying in POR-Riverside mid June. Does anyone know if they will still be doing this by then, or should I buy some and pack it with us?

I stayed at Poly May 18 - 20th. While the card was there, no can of bug spray. Deep Woods Off also comes in towelettes and I'd packed a few in my purse. To be safe, I'd bring some with you. The resort gift shop will have some for sale, but at a Disney price.

LAM378

I stayed at the Poly May 13-16, and there was no card, but there was a big package of Off repellent body wipes in the bathroom. We moved over to BC and nothing.

It seems like the complimentary repellent is inconsistent now. FWIW, I brought my own bug spray and never needed it.

dmatt87

We just came back from POR and there was no repellent and no card. We had brought some in our luggage, and honestly we didn't use it once. We saw no mosquitoes the whole, even when riding the boat on the river.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom