Bug repellent in hotel room

mmnw

Original Poster
Hello. Does Disney still leave bug repellent in the hotel room? We will be staying at the Contemporary. What is the brand? How big? We won't have a car this trip and are flying so I would like to plan ahead. Thanks!

Is Disney suggesting using the repellent all day? I'm used to just applying at night unless going into the deep woods.

ratherbeinwdw

Hello. Does Disney still leave bug repellent in the hotel room? We will be staying at the Contemporary. What is the brand? How big? We won't have a car this trip and are flying so I would like to plan ahead. Thanks!

Is Disney suggesting using the repellent all day? I'm used to just applying at night unless going into the deep woods.
You should use it all day as zika carrying mosquitoes will bite in the heat of the day.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
This is what is in all Disney resort rooms.

IMG_6270.JPG

I am Timmy

Do mosquitoes bite year round in Orlando? For example, is this a problem in December? I don't think I've ever been bit in Disney World, regardless of season, but things change.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wouldn't put any spray on, I don't like that stuff and I question how safe it is? For where WDW is I can't believe the lack of bugs, I don't think I have been bitten by any bugs ever at WDW.

This is coming from a guy who lives in a swamp, in coastal SC. We get skeeters for sure. I just don't use the spray unless they are intense.

Do mosquitoes bite year round in Orlando? For example, is this a problem in December? I don't think I've ever been bit in Disney World, regardless of season, but things change.

During the hot and humid month of September we had the repellent in our room and in the parks this past year. 2 weeks in the parks and resort and none of my family were bit once. Disney, whatever they are doing has stepped up their bug prevention since the Zika scare and are obviously continuing it, happy for that.

We in all the years of WDW from year one have only had one trip that those blood suckers were an issue and I had packed a can of OFF as I always do. It was a miserable year, don't know what had happened but something was discontinued that year obviously, it was a decade ago-budget cuts????? Maybe.

I would not worry too much about it though, as much as I can pick on Disney in some aspects, the blood suckers isn't one of my go to complaints, they seem to have weighed the genuine seriousness of Zika into their business model.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney sprays for bugs, probably at night, which is when mosquitoes are most active. Plus, they also use natural methods, like bats and purple martins...you can see purple Martin houses throughout the area.

I was there in late February...and a can of repellant was in my room.

ETA: Zika isn't the only mosquito borne illness you need to worry about in Florida - West Nile and encephalitis are two others.

Last edited:

mmnw

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I feel like we are not normally bit in Disney. Like others said, some of us are magnets for bug bites--and we swell. So, I'll use it in some situations.

May I ask where I can find the spray in the parks? Are there dispensers all over? At First Aid? I'm trying to cut down on what I'm lugging around if possible.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks everyone!

I feel like we are not normally bit in Disney. Like others said, some of us are magnets for bug bites--and we swell. So, I'll use it in some situations.

May I ask where I can find the spray in the parks? Are there dispensers all over? At First Aid? I'm trying to cut down on what I'm lugging around if possible.

I don't remember seeing cans of spray in the parks. Just big jugs of a creamy gel bug repellant with a pump dispenser.

For those who don't like sprays or don't want to carry around a can and would be turned off by the goopy stuff in the parks, Deep Woods OFF comes in individually wrapped towelettes (like hand wipes).

Remember to apply sunscreen first, wait 5-10 minutes, then apply bug spray.

mmnw

Original Poster
Thanks. I appreciate the application tip. That's what I figured. I'm in the Midwest and we apply repellent at night, for everyday activities, so sunscreen is not part of the nighttime repellent process!

My sister got bit by a mosquito on the boat from the GF to MK once, but mosquitos tend to bite her everywhere.

Nobody else I've ever traveled with has been bitten and I didn't use big spray on any of my trips. However, if I was pregnant, or planning to be pregnant, I would have used some sort of bug repellant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom